Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to get some opinions from fellow members so Im hoping you will all respond to this post with your honest opinions good or bad. Owning an SSR and a machine shop I thought I would come up with an easy to install Wind Baffle that looked good and was strong enough to withstand my lead foot x-way driving. It was a bit of a challenge because I wanted to use the seatback bumpers that came with the car so it would look like a professional installation yet be able to be installed by anyone with a minimum amount of tools. I think I did acomplish that as by my self it took me 20 minitues to install. I used 3/8in. thick crystal clear Polycarbonate for its strength and machineability.I had to design new fasteners and there is a minor rework you have to do on the factory seatback bumbers. But not only does it look like it was factory installed it makes it very strong. My other concern was not getting any vibration or movement that might damage the paint while driving at high speed I used rubber channel trim and foam rubber with one stickey side and I have to say it worked great. Keep in mind this is just a prototype and I have already found some things I will modify for the next one. Thats where you will all come in I need some opinions from other SSR owners if Im on the right track with this.

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
any plans on making units to sell?? I am considering making one myself, but if is a reasonable cost I would be interested.

·
Registered
45 Posts
baffles for $ale

Agreed, I was going to construct one, but would gladly buy one from you. Love the design, does the dip between the seats allow buffeting?

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheKnack said:
any plans on making units to sell?? I am considering making one myself, but if is a reasonable cost I would be interested.

Yes, I will be selling some to help offset my R&D cost. Price would be $240.00 plus shipping without the lettering. On mine I machined the SSR logo 1/8 in. deep on CNC machine and then painted with paint pens. E-mail me if you are interested in purchasing be a 1 week delivery. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SSRedRod said:
Agreed, I was going to construct one, but would gladly buy one from you. Love the design, does the dip between the seats allow buffeting?

My intent with the dip in the center was to closely follow the contour of the seats and give it a unique look. Also when I look in my rearview mirror I didn't want to see a distraction as the top of it would be right in the center of the mirror. However you do lose some of the buffeting with the dip I would say probably about 25% more wind than one that goes straight across. Still a big improvement from not having anything. Future ones will have about 1 inch less dip. And as these are machined on a CNC machine I can program without any dip if you wanted that way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Great job, professional with excellent style and a tight fit. Now that bad boy is worth $240.00. If I were you I would take a page out of Bob S. Soc. of Automotive Engineer's book and patent the design, before someone else does! My design pales in comparison!!!! Congratulations, you have hit the nail on the head. :thumbs

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Hats off to RHOBBEL & 1BADASSR

It's people like you two who has the creative minds to think outside the box, and make a item that wasn't part of the Big picture.:thumbs

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
I agree 100% with RickSSR! In my career over the years I've had many an opportunity (spelled "necessity" :) ) to do some fabrication and I know all too well what's involved with the design and manufacture of this type of item.

To 1badassr and rhobbel: fantastic job!! Enjoy the feeling that only comes with the knowledge that you did it yourself!

Blast

1 - 8 of 8 Posts