Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM is now advertising the wind break.

":Cockpit Windbreak
The new cockpit windbreak is constructed of lightweight aluminum and includes the SSR logo. This GM Accessory also includes a meshlike screen fabric and extends above the seatback and can remain in place with the top up."

Has any one had the chance to get the part number and price for this one? I would like to buy one but I am wondering how will it works.

If you go to chevy.com it is on the web site.

B

·
0 Posts
Typically mesh windblockers look like hell- they detract from your cars lines. They are porous and let back-draft thru and they block the rearview especially at night. If anyone has one, please post your findings.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What I'm interested in finding out, is if it will change the aerodynamics enough to kill the crosswind gusts I encounter while driving top down on the freeway. I'm skeptical about that.

Those gusts, when they happen, seem to arrive out of some interaction between the airstreams spilling off the windshield and drivers mirror.

·
Registered
705 Posts
wouldn't this kill the looks from behind? I love the way the chrome shows on the back of the seats. Is this going to be covered? I shave my head and a little wind does not bother me :lol

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Back Side Views

Hey Redssrloaded,

You look great with no hair there ;)

I think you might be right though, I do like the looks of the back of the seats from behind the vehicle. see photo (my two teenage daughters crusin) I am not sure how much the bar will cause rear visibilty to be reduced. The reason for the mesh I believe is to help filter or reduce some of the back pressure associated with wind breaks.

However, with out a wind break I too have noticed a mean cross wind from time to time. (Have lost my cap once because of it) :mad I am interested in hearing how well the GM wind break works too!

Ps I believe you can look for lloger's threads on his windbreak... his looks nice without the bar in the mirror effect. Have to ask him how the back pressure effects his wind break.

Attachments

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
It looks like the picture in Marc's message but it has a better finish and detailing. The shape is correct and it really cuts down the wind buffeting around the top of the seats. It does not block much of the rear vision since you can see through the mesh. The size is a byproduct of clearance to the retracting roof.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Wind Break

Freezer would you have a more recent photo of the GM Wind Break? I got that photo back in April of this year from a dealer friend of mine. You say it looks nicer than that photo? :cool I would like to see the finished product then...

I think it would be worth getting! Might it require a special bracket for the 03-04s?

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
There are notched seat back bumpers that go with the Windbreak. The windbreak is held on with the seat back bumper bolts.

R

·
0 Posts
I have never understood the need/desire for a "wind breaker" on a convertible? Its a convertible! If you don't like fresh air blowing about you, leave the top up, roll up the windows and turn your air on! Or, better yet, don't buy a convertible! :nono

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Wind Break

I hear you ... but those who have have long hair and don't wear it up ... ouch!!!!! It whips in your face and stings... My daughters were constantly brushing their hair away from the back pressure pushing it in their faces... (take a look back at the photo in my earilier reply here) in the shot of the rear of my SSR and you can see them in the rear view mirrors brushing their hair away.

I don't have much hair to worry about that lol
:lol

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
realprowlerfan said:
I have never understood the need/desire for a "wind breaker" on a convertible? Its a convertible! If you don't like fresh air blowing about you, leave the top up, roll up the windows and turn your air on! Or, better yet, don't buy a convertible! :nono

AMEN TO THAT !! :thumbs :thumbs

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
wind baffle

realprowlerfan said:
That's being a little hard nosed. I love having the convertible and even with the wind baffle you still get some wind blowing about you. I built a wind baffle for mine and I love it. It lets me wear a hat to keep the sun off my bald head without worrying about it blowing off and allows me to hear my radio when I'm cruising at 55 or 60 without blowing out my speakers. I don't feel it detracts from the looks of the SSR. In fact I think it adds to the sporty look. I don't particularly like the looks of the GM model but that's all personal taste and I respect everyone's personal opinion of what makes the SSR look good. Before I put the baffle on my wife always had me put the top up if we were going on the freeway. Now we can drive on the freeway with the top down, and the wife is happy. Remember, "When the wife ain't happy, NO ONE'S HAPPY!"

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those of you that have built your own. How well does it work for you. My self I think it does take a way from the look. But if it does help with the wind then I will pay the money.

I am about to take a drive to Chicago on the 21st of August. I plan to have the top down most of the way. I will see how windy it gets with out it. Right know I haven't driven on a long trip with the truck yet. I have driven about 45 minutes and it did not bother me or my girlfriend at all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts