Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing the rear wind breaker and was wondering if there is a preference by owners between the plastic one or the OEM mesh screen for performance. My wife does not want to mess her hair up, we know how that goes. Waiting for spring in southern New England.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,884 Posts
You will definitely read differences of opinion here regarding just about any and every type of product or modification. The only thing we all agree upon is our love of the SSR itself.

Dave

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
We have the OEM version. Functions well in blocking the wind but it does darken the view using the rear view mirror. Not a biggie for me but others don't like it because of that point.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
5,049 Posts
I have the solid plexi glass. I have our names and SSR etched in it and it is lighted. Just a couple options not available with OEM screen type

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Both work well in controlling wind in the cab, just drop the top, roll the side windows up and your good to go.Want a little more breeze just roll the side windows down. Your choice as both do the job well.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
take you pick. The OEM one darkens your rear view some, but does not glare. I think either would work nicely.

I have the OEM. I remove it in the fall and winter when I only run the top up. That is easy to do and it is light weight and easy to line up.

IMO

Dave

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,583 Posts
I had the OEM screen in my first SSR and didn't like how the screen darkened the rear window, especially at night. On my current truck I have passed on getting the OEM screen again and purchased a Windjammer that I had a custom design etched into it and LED lights. Have not got it mounted yet but others seem to like how they work and the wife will enjoy not having her hair flying all around plus I think its going to be really cool looking!
:grin2::blue: :cool

Reactions: shakatak

·
Ms Donna's Driver
5,049 Posts
I had the OEM screen in my first SSR and didn't like how the screen darkened the rear window, especially at night. On my current truck I have passed on getting the OEM screen again and purchased a Windjammer that I had a custom design etched into it and LED lights. Have not got it mounted yet but others seem to like how they work and the wife will enjoy not having her hair flying all around plus I think its going to be really cool looking!
:grin2::blue: :cool
Come on !!! Need to get that screen mounted. Spring and nice roads are just around the corner. When you get it mounted it is best to test it by driving southwest into the wind. Just let us know.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Come on !!! Need to get that screen mounted. Spring and nice roads are just around the corner. When you get it mounted it is best to test it by driving southwest into the wind. Just let us know.
It will be part of our "Tech Day" maybe next month in Wabash at Russ's!!!
:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Here is another option.
WindsuppreSSR Product Ordering - 248-672-5390
This is 3/8" polycarbonate not Acrylic.
Polycarbonate (Lexan) is unbreakable, more scratch resistant and has clearer optical qualities than Acrylic (plexiglass). It is used for eyeglass lenses and bulletproof enclosures.

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Here is another option.
WindsuppreSSR Product Ordering - 248-672-5390
This is 3/8" polycarbonate not Acrylic.
Polycarbonate (Lexan) is unbreakable, more scratch resistant and has clearer optical qualities than Acrylic (plexiglass). It is used for eyeglass lenses and bulletproof enclosures.
Bulletproof!?!? :nep:...
...with the number of people I tick off...I may need one of those!! :grin2:

·
LKMURKY
450 Posts
I have an OEM on my :yellow:and the WindJammer Plastic one from Gary now on the :blur:, lighted with the etched flames. Drove with both today.
The OEM has the bar that obstructs the vision just a little. You can feel a little wind through it.
You can take it off if you are in the mood to do such things without much drama,
Price is around $300.
Can't leave out Ray's Windsuppressr. Quality product, just didn't have enough variety in the lighted color options that were as appealing to me. I really liked talking to Ray, he's a great guy.

The WindJammer blocks more wind, and keeps my hat on my head at 70mph. It also serves as an interior light for the R, which with all that black everywhere, you need all the help you can to see anything other than the road and the stereo at night. You can see traffic behind you even with the lights on in the Windjammer.
:eek:_75: The WindJammer or WindSuppreSSR keeps just enough of my A/C or heat in the passenger compartment to make the heater more functional in the winter, and the A/C more effective in the Summer when you're topless. Whatever I can do to make my convertible days longer and more comfortable, seems to be what it is all about.:party

The WindJammer variable Color and pattern options are my favorite, and you can have the colors change and pulse to the music. It's heavy plastic and there is no vibration of any sort. It is exceptionally well built. You will spend half a day installing it. Screen goes up easy but routing the wires for switch placement takes the bulk of your time.
IMHO, the Windjammer is superior in every way to the OEM. But the Price with options is about $600 with shipping. I'm pretty cheap, but that was money well spent.

my 02 cents
Cary
LKMURKY
:blur::yellow:

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
I thought Ray was getting out of the WindsuppreSSR business! Glad to see they are still around and gives everyone another option.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
5,049 Posts
Bulletproof!?!? :nep:...
...with the number of people I tick off...I may need one of those!! :grin2:
Yes. Need to protect the cheerleader for sure. !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I have an OEM on my :yellow:and the WindJammer Plastic one from Gary now on the :blur:, lighted with the etched flames. Drove with both today.
The OEM has the bar that obstructs the vision just a little. You can feel a little wind through it.
You can take it off if you are in the mood to do such things without much drama,
Price is around $300.
Can't leave out Ray's Windsuppressr. Quality product, just didn't have enough variety in the lighted color options that were as appealing to me. I really liked talking to Ray, he's a great guy.

The WindJammer blocks more wind, and keeps my hat on my head at 70mph. It also serves as an interior light for the R, which with all that black everywhere, you need all the help you can to see anything other than the road and the stereo at night. You can see traffic behind you even with the lights on in the Windjammer.
:eek:_75: The WindJammer or WindSuppreSSR keeps just enough of my A/C or heat in the passenger compartment to make the heater more functional in the winter, and the A/C more effective in the Summer when you're topless. Whatever I can do to make my convertible days longer and more comfortable, seems to be what it is all about.:party

The WindJammer variable Color and pattern options are my favorite, and you can have the colors change and pulse to the music. It's heavy plastic and there is no vibration of any sort. It is exceptionally well built. You will spend half a day installing it. Screen goes up easy but routing the wires for switch placement takes the bulk of your time.
IMHO, the Windjammer is superior in every way to the OEM. But the Price with options is about $600 with shipping. I'm pretty cheap, but that was money well spent.

my 02 cents
Cary
LKMURKY
:blur::yellow:
:smile2:

Good info, I appreciate your commentary on the different options available and how they compare. Indeed pricey, but I'm thinkin' that the Windjammer will be the one for my ride.:wink2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for the responses, but think I'll wait for spring. Right now the SSR is buried under 10" snow and piling up in a blizzard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts