Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Slingshot Rules!
83,018 Posts
Thinking about getting a wind screen, not sure where I would get it but what are pros and cons? Thanks for any input
For What It's Worth, Steve . . .

When I RIDE in an SSR with a Wind Screen, I dislike the overall feel. When I DRIVE an SSR with a Wind Screen, especially after dark . . . I HATE 'EM.

GOOD LUCK.

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
All pros, no cons… at least for us. Allows you to carry on a conversation and listen to your favorite tunes with the top down. Keeps everyone’s hair in place (for those of us that have a little left.) Very easy to install. Highly recommended. (y)

Our "in house" SSR supplier @Windblade:

They will customize lettering and lighting:

Oh, looks cool too. :cool:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
All pros, no cons… at least for us. Allows you to carry on a conversation and listen to your favorite tunes with the top down. Keeps everyone’s hair in place (for those of us that have a little left.) Very easy to install. Highly recommended. (y)

Our "in house" SSR supplier @Windblade:

They will customize lettering and lighting:

Oh, looks cool too. :cool:

View attachment 602779
I'm totally confused by your reply. While a custom wind screen is on my agenda sometime down the road, I thought I knew the prime provider of the custom wind screens and I do not see him referenced here. Have not spent the time to peruse old posts and bring up his name and/or business.

But he offered many custom wind screens with wild graphics and lighting. I think Dictator has one of his offerings.

Your "ref" to (Windblade) means nothing to me. Never heard of him..............what does he have to do with this.

Also Kappa Windscreens seems to show a variety of choices, I never heard of them either...........Did they take over for the guy whose name I cannot recall at the moment.:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had one, did not have any objections to it until it broke at bottom corner. It then caught the roof when retracting and marred the headliner. My opinion is to live without it. There is a bit more turbulence but with windows up on freeway driving things seem fine to me and the wife.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
864 Posts
FWIW

I have a clear windscreen, see the picture. I have never had a OEM windscreen so I can't add pluses or minuses on it.

I bought this windscreen, a WindJammer I think, from an SSRFanatic who was switching it out for a lighted version.

I like the "clearness" or "invisibleness" of it. It does limit the amount of wind that can blow into the cabin, especially when the windows are up. Makes going topless much more comfortable when the temps go into the 50s and 40s.

My one issue with it (the former owner had the same complaint) is that it reflects lights and images from the front and sides. A number of times I've glanced to the side because I thought I saw a vehicle beside me, but it was just a reflection.

That said, I'd still buy one like it if I had it to do over again.
Car Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: soren703

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,276 Posts
I'm totally confused by your reply. While a custom wind screen is on my agenda sometime down the road, I thought I knew the prime provider of the custom wind screens and I do not see him referenced here. Have not spent the time to peruse old posts and bring up his name and/or business.

But he offered many custom wind screens with wild graphics and lighting. I think Dictator has one of his offerings.

Your "ref" to (Windblade) means nothing to me. Never heard of him..............what does he have to do with this.

Also Kappa Windscreens seems to show a variety of choices, I never heard of them either...........Did they take over for the guy whose name I cannot recall at the moment.:unsure::unsure:
No, totally different person and company. Great to work with, and I’m a bit particular. He worked with me on the design of 2 glass wind breaks, one for the second R, and the second for the “other R”. Can’t wait to get them.

@Windblade ’s web site is: Welcome to Kappa Windscreens - The store bringing you custom designed windscreens and trim accessories.

I reached out to him via a conversation and we spoke on the phone, exchanged a couple texts and emails to clarify exactly what I wanted… and done. I placed the order.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
I like the look of the "glass" windscreens. However, I drive quite a little at night and I like that the OEM do not glare.

I have the OEM. I remove it when I am not running the top down for a time. It takes about 1 minute to remove and just slightly more to put back on since you have to line up the wholes. It is light weight and fits nicely in the bags for it. I simply put it in the back.

It certainly does not enhance the look of the R, but is more practical for me.

IMO

Dave
EDIT

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,276 Posts
I like the look of the "glass" windscreens. However, I drive quite a little at night and I like that the OEM do not glare.

I have the OEM. I remove it when I am not running the top down for a time. It takes about 1 minute to remove and just slightly more to put back on since you have to line up the wholes. It is light weight and fits nicely in the bags for it. I simply put it in the back.

It certainly does not enhance the look of the R, but is more practical for me.

IMO

Dave

Let's Go Brandon
Fair. I’ve got OEM windscreens too and prefer the clear for looking through and looking at. I’ve got an original WindSupressor, which are no longer available so I figured I try something similar. When I put the top up, or down, I’m not going to stop and deal with the windbreak, I’m just going to roll on….

·
Registered
2006 ssr
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Steve,
I will be down in a week. We can go for a ride so you can see the difference. I find mine worth having.
Hmmm---@Corvette Steve you are in Florida with bunches of SSR's. I say meet up with one or better go to a Tech day, FLORIDA HANDS ON TECH DAY, SAT. NOV. 13TH, and ride/drive one the has them and see for yourself :rolleyes: :p:cool:

Nick
I would love to meet up with these guys but they are going to a place 3 hrs from my home seems like they are always so far away. Thanks for letting me know though hopefully I will catch them a little closer soon

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
1,165 Posts
I would love to meet up with these guys but they are going to a place 3 hrs from my home seems like they are always so far away. Thanks for letting me know though hopefully I will catch them a little closer soon
I think the knowledge you would gain would be well worth the trip. You would also get to meet 24 or 25 Florida SSR owners.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,636 Posts
I think the knowledge you would gain would be well worth the trip. You would also get to meet 24 or 25 Florida SSR owners.
Ditto !!!! plus a great day vacation. 3 hours is just a relaxing jog :p:cool:

Nick

1 - 20 of 34 Posts