Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead Lowered my driver's side window to pull into the garage and heard a terrible scratching sound like glass against metal and sure enough, I now have a window with a huge vertical scratch etched into it! I just hope it holds up long enough until I can get it to the dealer later this week. Anyone else had probs. with the window? Any ideas as to what could have possibly etched the vertical line into the window? It goes up and down just fine but makes that terrible screaching, scratching sound! Not good....:cry :cry :cry

·
Registered
37 Posts
keep us posted

ours is only about 2 weeks old - so far two trips in it and it's fine but it's also been a bit cold or wet to put the window down.

Keep us posted

and Good Luck
Jim Beard
Little Rock
2003 Red SSR

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Finding all the problems

Ed,

Please stop finding all the problems. Let someone else find a couple :D . I still have the 'every once in a while' problem of the window not rolling down the 1/4". My heater blower motor makes a noise like it's hitting something when I brake and gets quiet when I take off (probably loose). And I noticed when I finally turned off my radio that I have a metal squeaking noise when I travel on rough road. (I have squeaking coming from the waterfall panel too, but that should be easy to fix). The leak in the bed is mostly fixed.

Good luck with getting that fixed.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:eek Speaking of loose, have you crawled under and checked the fog lights lately? I was amazaed how little is actually attatching them! As I was polishing up my black beauty, I felt that one of the fog lights in particular was pretty loose and it was. Even after tightening them up a bit, they don't sit real snug in their fittings. I suppose there is a good reason for them to be mounted the way they are, I just wish I knew what that was.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Noises

Well, while we are into problems, here are mine.
I have a faint whine coming out of the rear end while just holding
the throttle just around 45 mph in a cruise mode. (note: you have to turn the stereo off with the top up).
I used to be a Chevy dealer mechanic so I probably listen to noises differently than most people. Just going to let it go for now and see if it gets worse.
While detailing underneath, found a couple of potential rattles.
1. The piece of plastic that fits underneath the filter, removed it and put a bead of black RTV where it hits the crossmember.
2. A cover plate that covers the hole where the bellhousing bolts to the engine block on the left side right next to the exhaust pipe.
Pried it out just enough to squeeze some RTV between it and the
bellhousing. No more rattles except for the top on roads with
potholes and railroad tracks.
Also ran the battery down in the garage. Everything quits like turning a switch off and the key cannot be removed. Be careful when you're out at a park, lake or wherever and remember to start the engine once in a while to recharge. Lasted about three hours in Accessory position with the doors open.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Window Scratch?

Has anyone else had this? I would sure like to know what caused it so I can try to avoid such a problem...I would be a sick as I was when I hit hail on my maiden voyage.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Discovered this on the usually slow forum for SSR's:
thetintshop
Pit Crew

------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is a heads up to ALL owners.

i own a window tinting business with over 18 years experience. my dad just bought a new 04 SSR. while inspecting the truck before installing window film, i noticed the gaskets on the inside of the door glasses have a rubber seal, instead of the usual, and neccessary, felt seals.
this is a MAJOR manufacturing problem that GM needs to be aware of. if you have window film installed, these gaskets will almost immediately start scratching. over time, they will scratch the glass all to shreds. this is a serious problem that other car companies are also facing. dodge, toyota and acura are all having this same problem. right now, only dodge has stepped up and started correcting the problem.
unless this issue is brought to their attention NOW, GM will continue production of this feltless gasket and put it on other models. i encourage ALL SSR owners to complain to your dealer about this problem before your glass gets so scratched that it will have to be replaced.
GM may decide to do nothing about this problem. but then again, they might. but we'll never know unless a large group of SSR owners complain about this problem.
i have pics of this problem, if anyone wants to see them, just e-mail me. i don't know how to post them here.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His email is:
[email protected]
Interesting tidbit of info. I am still experiencing the scratching occassionally but plan on letting the dealer look at that and several other problems I have with my SSR. To date, this is what they need to fix:
1-Window scratching on drivers side
2-Roof cycle time outs can be overridden if I let go of the button and then restart the down roof process. Seems like a faulty sensor.
3-Both fog lights are loose and I don't have a socket that will fit that crazy screw/nut that holds them on. Strange star shape.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for the the same problems. I haven't driven mine much as of yet . Live in the north east and it just started to get worm. Please keep me informed as to any other problem you come across. My e-mail is list below. Thanks again.:) :cool

M

·
0 Posts
I have not had any problems to speak of yet...knock wood. All I notice is the roof retacting arms inside the cab rattle when I hit bumps in the road. I think they just hit each other is all. Nothing else to report yet.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts