Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves the SSR but she has log hair and it does blow a fair bit in the passenger seat. My SSR originally came with a windscreen, but it is no where to be found. I know I can buy one. Do they help with the passenger seat wind amount?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Yes they do. Especially if the windows are up. They are fairly easy to remove in the winter if you don't want to look through a screen. I am talking about the OEM screen.

Someone else will have the chirp in on aftermarkets.

I think there are sources for the OEMs.

Dave

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
I have the Plexiglas windscreen, came with my R when I bought it; Yes I can see through it very well.
It absolutely helps keep the wind down in the cab (even more so with the windows up; I just don't like the window-up, top-down look).
There are plenty aftermarket Plexiglas windscreens out there, Google search it.

Here is a very popular one

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Have the OEM screen from Mike @ S/E...when my top is down...I keep the windows down.....(personal choice).....the screen works good....
vp

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I also have the OEM windscreen which works great as stated especially with the windows up. Mike at Simple does sell them new or you can find them on the Fanatic site from other owners used. What I don't like about the plexi glass is the possibility of reflections but others that have it can chime in. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,384 Posts
My '06 had the OEM Screen when I bought it. Kathy's '04 we bought in Feburary did not. I'm 5'8" she is 5'1". Personally I couldn't tell the difference between mine and hers without it. BUT she said she could tell the difference. Maybe height has something to do with it?? So----I bought an OEM Screen for hers and she is happy!!

Nick

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
I'm 5'10", female, and have the plexiglass aftermarket windscreen...it helps a ton, although I don't have to worry about the hair since I wear it short but it does help cut down on the air flow through the cab.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
The OEM wind screen helps reduce wind in the cockpit, but it has the black frame around it which reduces visibility in the rear view mirror. I have one of the old plexiglass ones made by Ray Hobbel (WindSuppssr), they are no longer available the guy in Florida sells a similar one.

Kenny Thomas
SSR051
Parkville, MO

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
One of the first add ons was Ray's WindSuppreSSR. You may have to have the A/C On with the top down and the windows Up. In the chilly AM, I ran top down with the heat on and seat warmers. There IS a difference between the OEM and plexi/tempered glass. Whatever the opinions of the 'bar' or 'reflection', you'll get used to it. I'd say... ask for a ride in trucks equipped both ways and see for yourself before making a purchase.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have both, the factory mesh and a plexiglass one. I like the plexiglass one the best because the top bar of the factory mesh one was right in my line of sight out the back window. Both work great. Just be sure and check the view out the back before getting a factory one to see if the top bar will bother you.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
My vote is for OEM

I have the OEM. It does help some with windows down and a lot with the windows up. Personally, I want some wind blowing around. You know kinda like a convertible does. I like the way it looks like it belongs an our trucks and I do not have any problems looking through the rear window. :laugh:

·
High Plains Roadster
225 Posts
This discussion has been very helpful.

I just started driving my "new" SSR and it had the OEM windscreen. The obstruction of the rear view, especially by the frame bar, made me take it off right away. The amount of hair I have wouldn't make it a necessity but the wife and anyone else with more hair would notice its absence for sure. The noise difference didn't seem like much but my experience is very limited so far.

Some have mentioned reflection from an acrylic model as a possible problem. Don't know about that since I don't have that type to check it out.

For now, I plan to get more experience under my belt to see how going "naked" works out but hearing that a lot of much more knowledgeable drivers have fared is very useful info.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi have a plexiglass wind screen, much better than the mesh that came with my car. We took the mesh out and cut the plexie to fit. Works well.

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Hi I have the plexiglass wind jammer,
I don't drive a lot with top up or at night.
That being said I use the side mirrors ,
And haven't noticed the glare .
It definitely helps with the wind draft and works really well windows up and heat on when cool out .

·
SSR Enthusiast
1,491 Posts
I drove for years with a plexiglass wind jammer.
I removed it once to install new upgraded speakers and sound deadening dyno-mat.
Spent a couple of weeks driving without it before I put it back on.
I prefer it much more than without it.
I don't remember what I paid for it in 2008 but I would buy it again!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts