Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ordered the windscreen for our 2006 SSR. It works well, came with a neat cover. The problem is, the screen is hard bolted in. Only way to remove it (difficult to see through at night with the top up) is to remove two plastic covers, loosen two bolts, slide the screen out, and retighten everything. Seems like this should snap in place over shoulder bolts or something. The dealer says it is installed correctly, I just need to carry a socket wrench if I want to remove it. He further advised me it is supposed to be left on (then why does it have a case?). Any solutions out there for this issue?
Thanks.
Mike

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
That was the main reason I didn't buy the GM windscreen, the night time visibility was a big concern for me. I bought the windsuppreSSR it is clear and never blocks my vision! Don't think this will help with the GM windscreen!

·
Registered
416 Posts
We leave ours on all the time. Visibility is diminished somewhat, but it hasn't been a problem for us. And the thing goes on and off pretty quickly; 5 minutes or so, tops.

I wanted to remove ours and store it when not taking a road trip, but my wife wants to leave it on, so there you go.

As I understand it, with the WindSuppressr (I'm probably spelling that wrong, sorry), there's a problem with glare/reflections. I guess there's no perfect solution yet.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have the same problem with the windscreen, esp at night. Im going to try to devise a new mount that will allow it to hinge back or at least pop off easily. I tried the windsurpressr, and although it is an extremely well made item, and looks better to some, than the factory unit, I personnaly found the reflections at night to be a problem. If I were parked in front of a brightly lit store front, for instance, the glare made it just as bad to see behind me as the factiory unit making it very precarious to back up into the dark. Windscreens I have had on numerous privious vehicles could be folded back.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This is great feed back for GM. Being able to install and remove the windscreen without tools would be a plus.

The only thing better would be if it could automatically extend and retract.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
10mm

I carry a little all-in-one with a 10mm socket to remove in an instant. no need to take the retaining nuts off completely, just loosen, remove screen and pack.
I toyed with the idea of removing the rivets on the bracket and replacing with SS wing nuts so the brackets remain in place but did not want to diminish the integrity of the screen.
Also looked at the possibility of replacing retaining nuts with SS wing nuts, but it would scratch the back of seats.
So 10mm socket onboard it is.

That's my train of thought in a nutshell... :lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
:thumbs I do the same thing ampmop does, bought a cheap 1/4 drive rachet and 10mm socket and put in the console. I leave the hole plugs out. I looked at the windsuppressor but thought it cut down on rear seat travel and I need all I can get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts