Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the day I dreaded most finally happened. Got a huge rock chip this weekend that's about an inch long and curves like a quarter. I remember there used to be a link to some OEM windshields but haven't had time to look for it. sooo...

Any one have any recommendations?

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
OEM available but expensive. I have one in Nebraska. Aftermarket windshield does not have SSR logo. Probably wouldn’t matter if you are not keeping it generic for resale. I know of a used one that may be available but shipping might be expensive. Also have the windshield gasket NOS. One stop shopping����

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,249 Posts
This is information Dicktator posted a few years ago.

Windshield
Guardian p/n DW 1534 GBY and has a "Made in USA"

Windshield Aftermarket
PILKINGTON
solar
Laminated - AS-1
DOT 177
DW 1534 GBY

Our Windshield is unique in design with compound curves.

INSIST on these aftermarket windshield with proper curve.

Dicktator

Reactions: voodoophantom

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,069 Posts
I recommend you do a forum search on ‘‘Windshields”, then another search with the term “Guardian”.

Read up and make your decision.

I have a Pilkington and wish I had a Guardian.

I had to re-curve the cowling at the base of the windshield, and I used industrial interlocking tape, to get the howling above 60mph to stop. Some don’t have this issue, others did. I fell into the latter group.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,841 Posts
I did all the research last summer after my windshield got struck by a stone. I heard enough unhappy SSR owners with replacement windshields. It appears the only supplier of a factory OEM windshield is Wild Bills SSR parts in Ohio. They are indeed pricey but you are guaranteed it's going to fit the way it should.

The good news is that my insurance company recognized that the SSR is a speciality vehicle and should have a factory windshield to replace it. They covered the cost and installation! Hopefully yours will do the same.

The last I heard there were only 9 windshields still available. They could very well be gone by now.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Replacement windshield

Guardian supplied the windshield for the SSR, however they have been sold to another company and no longer supply.
The original windshield curved in the center from bottom to top. I had Safelite install a replacement, it actually curved in at the center of the windshield. I now have a Plinkington. It is not great but at least it is flat if you lay a straight edge in the center from top to bottom.

The problem you experienced with the faring was probably caused by the disturbing of the attachments and the installation. That faring is one that I am well acquainted with and its problems. It is made of ABS and warps as it ages and is exposed to sunlight. The Answer is a heat gun and new attachments, not the Velcro from Walmart but Scotch Brand Fastener Extremely Strong(holds 10 lbs.) by 3M. Might not be a bad idea to replace the fasteners on the side farings also as a preventive.

Jack

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Has anybody tried to get a good used one from Cleveland power and performance Auto Parts? I see they are always advertising parts on E bay. Just a thought it might save you some money.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,069 Posts
Guardian supplied the windshield for the SSR, however they have were to another company and no longer supply.
The original windshield curved in the center from bottom to top. I had Safelite install a replacement, it actually curved in at the center of the windshield. I now have a Plinkington. It is not great but at least it is flat if you lay a straight edge in the center from top to bottom.

The problem you experience with the faring was probably caused by the disturbing of the attachments and the installation. That faring is one that I am well acquainted with and its problems. It is made of ABS and warps as it ages and is exposed to sunlight. The Answer is a heat gun and new attachments, not the Velcro from Walmart but Scotch Brand Fastener Extremely Strong(holds 10 lbs.) by 3M. Might not be a bad idea to replace the fasteners on the side farings also as a preventive.

Jack
Yep... that is exactly what I did.
- Robert
:silver:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,389 Posts
I got a NOS from Wild Bills, $1000 + $70 tax + turnpike tolls and gas for 700 miles + $128 speeding ticket. :redface:
But the important question is, "Did it fit right"?

Reactions: oldxr

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I got a NOS from Wild Bills, $1000 + $70 tax + turnpike tolls and gas for 700 miles + $128 speeding ticket. :redface:
You would gave been better off taking the glass completely out buying a pair of :nerd: and driving old school

$1300 :frown2: compared to $50, looking cool and all the bugs you can eat...priceless :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
XoxoxoBruce....the colors should be platinum and copper....The police only like to stop shiny, fast objects! That was less fine than my “window tint” ticket in Ashburn, Georgia. Cop sitting with Laser....saw the OLDxR all blacked out decided he could make a Georgia buck on a Florida tinted car....$250 or come back another day for court at 5pm. Thinking of changing my personalized tag to: COP MAGNET

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
But the important question is, "Did it fit right"?
Should, it's OEM, but I don't know because it's still in the box. My windshield had a small chip at the bottom which I had repaired but it's getting pretty "sandblasted" and driving into the Sun sucks. I figured I'd need it sooner or later but I'm in a quandary. If I have it installed now, with my luck a Russian satellite will fall through my windshield in three days. :lol

XoxoxoBruce....the colors should be platinum and copper....The police only like to stop shiny, fast objects! That was less fine than my “window tint” ticket in Ashburn, Georgia. Cop sitting with Laser....saw the OLDxR all blacked out decided he could make a Georgia buck on a Florida tinted car....$250 or come back another day for court at 5pm. Thinking of changing my personalized tag to: COP MAGNET
I saw him pull out and their usual MO is enter your tag number to find out if you're a known perp or the car is on a hot list then light you up. But I saw a safe spot to pull over and stopped before he got his lights on. He was smiling as he walked up beside my truck and said "$128 and no points". I said, "cool".

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,389 Posts
Should, it's OEM, but I don't know because it's still in the box. My windshield had a small chip at the bottom which I had repaired but it's getting pretty "sandblasted" and driving into the Sun sucks. I figured I'd need it sooner or later but I'm in a quandary. If I have it installed now, with my luck a Russian satellite will fall through my windshield in three days. :lol

I saw him pull out and their usual MO is enter your tag number to find out if you're a known perp or the car is on a hot list then light you up. But I saw a safe spot to pull over and stopped before he got his lights on. He was smiling as he walked up beside my truck and said "$128 and no points". I said, "cool".

With the way the windshields are so hard to find I would find a nice safe place for it and not install it until I absolutely had to. Just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Auggie Doggie....this OEM NOS Windshield has your name written all over it! Located one state down, SE Nebraska.

·
LKMURKY
449 Posts
Had mine replaced by Safelight Auto Glass Jan 28, 2017. Did all the research on the forum. Don't remember the name of the manufacturer, but was made in California, they told me they had 40 of them showing in inventory.
Took them two hours. Gentleman was exceptionally careful with paint, knew exactly how to remove the interior panels necessary, cleaned up every scrap and crumb, and wiped down my interior when he was finished. I had expressed intense concern from my readings on the Forum about poor fit and other unimaginable horrors that would result with both State Farm and Safelight before allow them to do the replacement.
Bottom line it fits perfectly, it was an exceptional experience, and It may not have an SSR logo on there but the original windshield had a flat spot that did not seem to wipe clean and this one does not.
I'm exceptionally pleased.
Cary

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Ok, but does the fairing below the windshield fit tight? All of them I've seen fit the opening, but the fairing below has a big gap, worse in the middle. Some have heated and reshaped that plastic fairing to make a close fit.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,249 Posts
Had mine replaced by Safelight Auto Glass Jan 28, 2017. Did all the research on the forum. Don't remember the name of the manufacturer, but was made in California, they told me they had 40 of them showing in inventory.
Took them two hours. Gentleman was exceptionally careful with paint, knew exactly how to remove the interior panels necessary, cleaned up every scrap and crumb, and wiped down my interior when he was finished. I had expressed intense concern from my readings on the Forum about poor fit and other unimaginable horrors that would result with both State Farm and Safelight before allow them to do the replacement.
Bottom line it fits perfectly, it was an exceptional experience, and It may not have an SSR logo on there but the original windshield had a flat spot that did not seem to wipe clean and this one does not.
I'm exceptionally pleased.
Cary
If you could look and see if it has a name and part# on it and post it for us Thanks !!!!!!! :smile2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,389 Posts
If you could look and see if it has a name and part# on it and post it for us Thanks !!!!!!! :smile2:

Maybe on the receipt type paperwork if not on the windshield or call the installer and find out where they got it with numbers etc. Thanks..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts