Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beautiful '05 Redline was purchased used (5100 mi) from a local (las Vegas) Pontiac dealer.. I got no history with the truck..( used car mgr let it slip they get the SSR's from "back east" )..Here's the issue, after I got my deal I noticed the windshield had a tiny star in it (dealer fixed it for me). Later on closer inspection I realized the whole windshield has tiny pits (and LOTS of'em). The star repair came out pretty good but the rest looks a little crummy. I realize I'll likely have to live with the pits. But I suppose at least I don't have sweat the first chips anymore.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hallelujah...I knew I'd find the answer..god bless ya..:agree

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
' pits '

You want windshield pits just cross the dam and drive in AZ. we go through $40 million in windshiels a year.:smash :smash :smash :smash :smash So your lucky you don't have to cross the river for the Tri- State Run:jester :jester

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would 5K mi pit a window so badly..? seems a lot of damage for so few miles.:bs

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Hard to say where this SSR was driven. Could been on lots of rocky roads! Wait for a another rock chip maybe one that can't be fixed and get the shield replaced under your insurance!!! If you have that on your policy!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,200 Posts
I have had several pitted windshields replaced (NO CHARGE) by my inurance company in the last 20 years here in Phoenix. The afternoon sun coming through an "old" windshield puts up a lot of glare from all the tiny sand pits. The insurance companies recognize this as a driving hazard and are willing to foot the bill for the windsheild before it is much bigger due to an accident with the sun in your eyes.

Most of your glass guys will tell you that a windsheild needs to be replaced every 30 to 40 thousand miles..... Just because of the pitting and glare issues.

I keep full glass coverage on my vehicles just for this purpose. It costs a little extra but is money well spent.

Mike

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,652 Posts
Hummers are No 1

CashSax said:
Would 5K mi pit a window so badly..? seems a lot of damage for so few miles.:bs
Don't feel so bad because I got one on my SSR with only 3800 miles on it and also my new H-3 with less that 1,000 miles on it! I found out the hard way that Hummers are notorious for getting damaged windshields because of the windshields severe angle.

Stay far far away from semi-trucks and stay off those gravel roads! :smash

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
3M Film

Probably not legal, but I wonder if the 3M clear film would help windshields. Anybody ever try it?

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
ssr blur said:
Probably not legal, but I wonder if the 3M clear film would help windshields. Anybody ever try it?
Cadillac used to have windshields on Sevilles with that 3m stuff bonded to the inside to keep shards of glass from entering the cabin in the event of glass breakage. It turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. In some cases high heat causd it to delaminate from the glass and in other cases people would try to remove a sticker from the glass with an unapproved device like a razor blade and totally screw it up. I say go the hammer route in a couple of months, might as well get something for the high rates they charge us.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The insurance angle sounds good. Probably I'll have to live with it for awhile..My deductible is $1000 now and I'll have to inquire about glass coverage..:cool

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
In Kentucky it is the law, The insurance co. has to replace the windshield at no charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts