Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say this is not a complaint, I'm only posting this for information in case anyone else has a problem.

I installed a WindsuppreSSR last year, love it. About two weeks ago I started to have a problem with my roof. My SSR is normally in the garage or I'm driving it with the top down. I left it in the hot sun for a few hours and when I went to put the top down it sounded like nails on a blackboard except louder. I couldn't locate where it was coming from. In addition I found small abrasion marks on both sides of the roof liner but couldn't find what they were rubbing on.

Took it to my dealer and they took the WindsuppreSSR off to diagnose and guess what, the sound was gone. On closer inspection the was a barely noticable scrape on each corner of the WindsuppreSSR where it was scraping on the roof liner.

Mind you this only happens after sitting in the sun so expansion plays a role in this. I will need to grind down the corners of the WindsuppreSSR ever so slightly to stop this from happening. I've sent an email off to rhobbel to ask how I can do this.

I think this is a great product and want to keep on using it, just need to trim a little off.

drbob

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
drbob said:
First let me say this is not a complaint, I'm only posting this for information in case anyone else has a problem.

I installed a WindsuppreSSR last year, love it. About two weeks ago I started to have a problem with my roof. My SSR is normally in the garage or I'm driving it with the top down. I left it in the hot sun for a few hours and when I went to put the top down it sounded like nails on a blackboard except louder. I couldn't locate where it was coming from. In addition I found small abrasion marks on both sides of the roof liner but couldn't find what they were rubbing on.

Took it to my dealer and they took the WindsuppreSSR off to diagnose and guess what, the sound was gone. On closer inspection the was a barely noticable scrape on each corner of the WindsuppreSSR where it was scraping on the roof liner.

Mind you this only happens after sitting in the sun so expansion plays a role in this. I will need to grind down the corners of the WindsuppreSSR ever so slightly to stop this from happening. I've sent an email off to rhobbel to ask how I can do this.

I think this is a great product and want to keep on using it, just need to trim a little off.

drbob[/QUOTE

drbob, very sorry you had this problem I have had one other customer e-mail me with an identical problem after leaving his SSR out in the hot sun with the top down. I tried to mimic the same conditions as it got up into the nineties this weekend. Nothing out of the ordinary happened no rubbing on mine. The WindsuppreSSR was designed to have approx. half inch clearance from the top. I told the other person to tighten the special fasteners if it looked like the WindsuppreSSR was not perpendicular he did and it helped. Now what I know is the polycarbonet that the WindsuppreSSR is made of has a very high heat tolerance that was one of the reasons I used it instead of Lexan. It can withstand temperatures of well over 200 degrees. Now I know things will expand in hot weather I can't believe it could expand half an inch however. I sent him new foam rubber strips my thinking was the high heat may have shrunk them and that is why it loosened up and the WindsuppreSSR tilted back. But I still have my doubts about that because I also loosened mine up until it tilted back and it still didn't touch the top. I will run some more tests and actually measure the top at different raise points to see how the repeatability is. In the mean time please do not grind down the top of the WindsuppreSSR if you want to change the height remove material from the mounting slots that will allow it to drop down and it will be hidden. I would remove the bumpers then start the special fasteners through the WindsuppreSSR mark the location on the plastic at the top of the slot where the center of the fastener touches. Now with a router and a 1/2 in bit mill maybe a quarter inch up in the 4 places that will drop the WindsuppreSSR 1/4 inch and it will still mount and tighten just fine. I will post more information as It come available.
Ray

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray, thanks for the quick reply. I'll follow you suggestions for the fix and report back but I'm sure everything will be fine.

Again I want to say that this is no complaint about Ray or the WindsuppreSSR, just info for people here. I believe Ray when he says the WindsuppreSSR would not expand that much. I do believe its the roof liner that has as a combo sagged a little and expanded with the heat.

Iwill be putting the WindsuppreSSR back on and would encourage anyone to purchase this as it is a great product.

drbob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts