Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Fort St John, BC a small city in Northern British Columbia, and I am awaiting an SSR to arrive which I am considering purchasing, anybody know, how well they handle in sub zero temperatures.

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Hey, JayAreS - Welcome to the world of SSR. I'm in Summerland, and have a yellow 03

Send me a pmwith an email address or phone number - I'd like to talk to you before you buy one - I'll check to see if you're set up to receive a pm - if not, my email is [email protected]

Good luck - the truck is an absolute blast - most fun I've ever had with any ride. Just did a 3000 mile trip from North Carolina with mine, and except for a close encounter with a runaway dishwasher near Salt Lake City, it was a very smooth trip (no damage, just brown spots on my underwear)

Had it at two car shows this weekend - Blossom Run in Summerland, and the world of wheels in Peachland - the crowds around the SSR were amazing. I'm only aware of 3 on the ground in the Okanagan, and by the reaction, most people were having their first look. The Beach Classic in Penticton (800 plus cars registered) is in 2 weeks - looking forward to being there.

The reaction from the hod rod crowd was great - the waves and smiles were non-stop, and they truly welcomed the SSR - totally different reaction than what you would get with a Vette or Porsche.

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
The traction control on the SSR should make it useable in snowy weather, but it deserves a better fate. One black SSR delivered last February, and driven during the winter locally has significant damage on the rear fenders from getting sandblasted - I think you can expect to see fairly severe damage if you drive it on sanded/salted roads. Mine will be put to bed in early October, and probably won't be back out until mid-May at the earliest.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cold weather

Jay,

I recall someone on this board stating their hydraulics failed due to very cold temps. If you plan on keeping it outside, you might consider leaving the top up (wouldn't want snow inside the truck anyway, right?). Problem is people always want to see the retractable. I guess the fluid gets pretty thick at 0 degrees.

D

·
0 Posts
I've had my SSR on black ice and it handled better than anything I've owned. Mine is a daily driver so I will be driving it in all types of weather. I've been driving my corvette on nice days since it gets better gas mileage.

Took my SSR to its' first cruise Saturday night and by the time I parked there were so many people around it that I hardly had room to open the door. It definitely is an attention getter.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts