Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With talk about people putting away their SSR for the winter I was wondering if anyone had any plans for updates or changes over the winter? I am going to do something with the dash face and see how it comes out. I want to take the original and sand it smooth along with the top may either do some paint work on it then or do a wrap of some kind on it. My only problem that I haven't figured out is the air bag face. I don't think I want to try sanding it smooth so it may stay with the factory texture. I have a spare face and top so I can work on it over the winter inside. Lets hear what others might be planning?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Although I don't plan on winterizing the R (we drive year round here ;)), I am considering an exterior graphics change. I have several ideas bouncing around but haven't landed on the a specific one yet. I'm also considering a flowmaster muffler. I just think the R needs a little more audible attitude.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I never thought the Pacific Blue paint of my MPD running boards, chin or tailgate matched very well... There's a few blemishes to clean up also, so the plan is to remove them and get them repainted to match better and fix the blemishes. Now that I have resolved the spoiler situation that can get painted and installed as well! My hood has some stone chips that he will probably work on. I will likely wait till Spring and have the running boards and hood re-covered with the 3M plastic protectant. When my stepper motors fail, I'd like to change to a white face with blue LED lights also but hate to pull the dash just to do it. Although I'd kind of like a Panasonic stereo system instead of the Kenwood that's in there now... Liked the one in my old truck better....
So those are my Winter plans... 😉

·
Registered
325 Posts
...I'd like to change to a white face with blue LED lights also but hate to pull the dash just to do it... 😉
I'd also like to change the face plate from the original white-on-black to black-on-white for easier reading. I never thought about the lighting. Why blue LEDs? As oppossed to...? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although I don't plan on winterizing the R (we drive year round here ;)), I am considering an exterior graphics change. I have several ideas bouncing around but haven't landed on the a specific one yet. I'm also considering a flowmaster muffler. I just think the R needs a little more audible attitude.
I did the exhaust on mine and put a Flowmaster on it and am not 100% decided that is what I am going to stay with long term. I am still kind of on the fence about it and the amount of noise it makes inside the truck. I may try to add some interior insulation and see if that makes it better but also thinking about trying a different muffler. I have a Pypes system on my Chevelle and may see what they have that might fit the SSR

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I never thought about the lighting. Why blue LEDs? As oppossed to...? :unsure:
Cause I'm a "Blues Brother" 😎 and I've seen others use red or yellow LED's to match their truck colors. Also colored LED's on the console buttons too! 😉 There's always something cool to do! 😁

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
Going to try and save some money to get the ground effects package painted that i purchased. I just have finish paying off credit card from the purchase, then finish paying off wedding and then fund the trip to Maggie Valley🤑
Might be an extra night class in my future🤯

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,878 Posts
I did the exhaust on mine and put a Flowmaster on it and am not 100% decided that is what I am going to stay with long term. I am still kind of on the fence about it and the amount of noise it makes inside the truck. I may try to add some interior insulation and see if that makes it better but also thinking about trying a different muffler. I have a Pypes system on my Chevelle and may see what they have that might fit the SSR
Mufflers are a personal thing I know but for whatever reason putting Flowmasters on the SSR it seems to have a loud droan in the sweet spot cruising at about in the range of 65 to 75. Starts about 55 but is very noticeable in the 65 to 75 range. I took mine off the next day and installed Magnaflow and now it purrs like a kitten in all rpm ranges. Some guys have gone with eliminating the muffler all together and leaving the two catalytic converters and say they love the sound and response. Very hard to decide. I split my Y pipe into two pipes and a Magnaflow muffler that has two pipes in and two pipes out with the X pipe in the muffler. Gets the exhaust out very well and adds a lot of low end seat of the pants torque out of the hole. Works for me. Sort of a true dual exhaust from front to back. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Mufflers are a personal thing I know but for whatever reason putting Flowmasters on the SSR it seems to have a loud droan in the sweet spot cruising at about in the range of 65 to 75. Starts about 55 but is very noticeable in the 65 to 75 range. I took mine off the next day and installed Magnaflow and now it purrs like a kitten in all rpm ranges. Some guys have gone with eliminating the muffler all together and leaving the two catalytic converters and say they love the sound and response. Very hard to decide. I split my Y pipe into two pipes and a Magnaflow muffler that has two pipes in and two pipes out with the X pipe in the muffler. Gets the exhaust out very well and adds a lot of low end seat of the pants torque out of the hole. Works for me. Sort of a true dual exhaust from front to back. Good luck.
I too have the true daul pipes with a magnaflow and you are correct, it purrs like a kitten.. a little tiny kitten. Kind of like a little "meow" or honestly, very similar to stock. To quiet for me. I'm wanting something more in the range of a big cat growl. As I don't drive it every day, a little drone is acceptable. And beside, the roar of a V8 when you press on the go pedal just adds to the permagrin in my books.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
@wizzr Did you like the sound of my Thunders exhaust? It does have some drone but I really don't mind it because it sounds really good going through the gears! I like my music a bit loud anyways! 😉

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,878 Posts
@wizzr Did you like the sound of my Thunders exhaust? It does have some drone but I really don't mind it because it sounds really good going through the gears! I like my music a bit loud anyways! 😉
What exhaust set up is on yours? I don't know what it is but you can hear an exhaust sometimes that you love so you put the exact same thing on your vehicle and it can sound different. I don't get it. Several guys on here about a year ago were really pushing the no muffler idea. Just run with the catalytic converters. They said the converters muffled it enough and gave it a little back pressure for performance but it wasn't too loud. I would like to hear that setup.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Larry, yeah, your exhaust sounds great. I followed you back to the Chateau after we all stopped at the burger joint on the run in Branson. Got to hear "thunder" the whole way! Maybe next time we meet you'll let me hava a go at running it through the gears! Mark.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Oh, and the other thing I need to do this winter is stepper motors. My temp gauge has been messed up for months.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
catch up on little items. 2 new a/c vents, mirror switch in door, repaint door jam and install new Vin sticker.
Still need to adjust tip in to consistently seal at top middle.
Touch up hood paint chips.
keep the mice out

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is this WINTER thing y'all are talking about???
Its a good excuse to put on a little extra weight and grow a beard, (the beard is easy to get rid of, the weight not so much so), not do lawn work, drive your hotrod less and do all the things you wanted to do all summer to it but couldn't because you had someplace to take it over the summer. Oh and hope that it doesn't snow so you don't have to get the snow shovel out.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Its a good excuse to put on a little extra weight and grow a beard, (the beard is easy to get rid of, the weight not so much so), not do lawn work, drive your hotrod less and do all the things you wanted to do all summer to it but couldn't because you had someplace to take it over the summer. Oh and hope that it doesn't snow so you don't have to get the snow shovel out.
What's a snow shovel??? :LOL:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Snow shovels are mystical things. They are big enough that you would think no way you could not find it, but it will happen. Simple by design, handle and a surface to move snow. They can also cause you to cuss like a sailor, cause great pain and great joy when you don't have to use it. When you are young, they can be your first job using them. When you are old they can be the most hated job using them. They can make you question today's youth, why won't they get off their but and go make some money shoveling the side walks for the neighbors? And one of those things that you should be able to only buy one in your life time, but for many of us we have bought several of them. And they can lead to the almighty snow blower.

This creature can be either better or worse then the snow shovel. You don't lose the snow blower. The snow blower will start every time on the first pull in the summer time like magic. And you can spend 2 hours trying to get it to start at the slightest bit of snow falling. They can magically make gas disappear into thin air when you know you filled the gas can for just such a job so you have it if needed. You spend hundreds of dollars on them and then find out that $30 shovel was easier and quicker to use than drag out that snow blower. And when you finally get to the point in your life that you are either moving to a better climate or will pay someone else to deal with the snow, you will sell that $700 snow blower for $50 to get it out of your way. Oh and don't forget to throw that snow shovel in on the deal.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Snow shovels are mystical things. They are big enough that you would think no way you could not find it, but it will happen. Simple by design, handle and a surface to move snow. They can also cause you to cuss like a sailor, cause great pain and great joy when you don't have to use it. When you are young, they can be your first job using them. When you are old they can be the most hated job using them. They can make you question today's youth, why won't they get off their but and go make some money shoveling the side walks for the neighbors? And one of those things that you should be able to only buy one in your life time, but for many of us we have bought several of them. And they can lead to the almighty snow blower.

This creature can be either better or worse then the snow shovel. You don't lose the snow blower. The snow blower will start every time on the first pull in the summer time like magic. And you can spend 2 hours trying to get it to start at the slightest bit of snow falling. They can magically make gas disappear into thin air when you know you filled the gas can for just such a job so you have it if needed. You spend hundreds of dollars on them and then find out that $30 shovel was easier and quicker to use than drag out that snow blower. And when you finally get to the point in your life that you are either moving to a better climate or will pay someone else to deal with the snow, you will sell that $700 snow blower for $50 to get it out of your way. Oh and don't forget to throw that snow shovel in on the deal.

:rolleyes:

With a couple of buddies, we made some good pocket change shoveling driveways and walks back in the '50s. Sure glad I'm away from that part of the country where that remains an annual problem.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts