Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to store my SSR for the winter, wonder if disconnecting the battery for this time will affect any electronics. I won't be able to leave it in the vehicle with a trickle charge on it. I have to take the battery out to be able to do this.
Also wonder if anyone has put fuel stabalizer in it and had any problems. I will not be able to start it up during this time.
Any other winter storage tips.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
cliff said:
I want to store my SSR for the winter, wonder if disconnecting the battery for this time will affect any electronics. I won't be able to leave it in the vehicle with a trickle charge on it. I have to take the battery out to be able to do this.
Also wonder if anyone has put fuel stabalizer in it and had any problems. I will not be able to start it up during this time.
I have stored several cars during the winter. They were are in cold buildings with cement floors. I do the following: Use fuel stabilizer ) full tank of gas), a piece of plywood between floor and tires, small block of wood between winshield wiper and windshield. I have never disconnected battery and have had no problems starting. Change oil and filter when bringing out of storage.
Putting away the SSR is gonna be a hard thing to do this year. Another week or 2 and that's it for the season.

·
Registered
186 Posts
cliff said:
Hi not sure why you have to take battery out but if you can plug it in just go to Napa or any auto parts store get a two sided bolt for battery cables then take old bolts out apply new two sided one will tighten cables flush then on other side slide battery tender connecter wire to other end bolt tighten run wire through opening in plastic box and boom you can plug in and unplug at will thats what i do withh my cars and harleys that way iam always good to go.Hope this helps someone Doug.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I store the Prowlers I add stabil to a full tank of gas, inflate the tires to the max rating, put a plastic tarp under the vehicle, and hook up a battery tender. I have done this for several years with no problems. When taking out of storage just change the oil and run out out the tank of gas. Inflating the tires to the max eliminates flat spots when you first start driving it again. I have followed this procedure with the SSR this year. The only bad thing is not being in a climate where I can drive it all year long.
Neal

·
Registered
541 Posts
Storage?

Storage is for the extra junk you collect during your life time. Stuff you don't really need, but just feel you should have, so you send a check to Shur-gard every month so they can hang on to it for you.

On the other hand, a car (or in this case, a truck) is for driving. The SSR will be taking the wife back and forth to work daily and the GTO will get me to work on days I don't want to ride the Harley (I'm a 365 rider).

I wish I had the garage space for extra vehicles to just sit for the winter. Maybe when I hit the lottery and start to restore a 69 Z28 RS...

It's just my opinion.

Diggs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Snow

Diggs, how much snow do you get in Northern Va. ??? I'm in N.Y. and dreading putting the ride away for the winter. I'm thinking of driving it on snow free days, last winter about killed me with it in the garage till late March !!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gee guys.....so sad to hear having to put your baby away for the winter. :( Only nice thing about living in the sunny south, even though I'm a damn Yankee! Just don't drive if we get ice! Besides, too much money to sit and waste away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I will feel better now tucking her away for the winter.

·
Registered
541 Posts
On second thought...

Maybe I was a little hasty with my reply.

I realized that this afternoon when I got ready to leave for work and saw how hard it was raining and remembered how much time I spent shining the GTO. I decided to take my old truck to work today.

So, yeah, I was a jerk. But, that being said, the GTO and the SSR will get plenty of use all year round. The GTO will get to sit when there is snow on the roads. Someday when we can afford to add one more vehicle maybe the SSR will get the same treatment, but the wife won't even consider driving my truck now.

Diggs

P.S. We get plenty of snow here. It's not the snow that bothers me, it's the damn salt and sand they spread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts