Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SSR, Silver with chrome wheels.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me explain that I live in Michigan, and we must use salt on public roads for the "daily drivers" to go about their lives safely. I used to be a "daily driver" but I cured myself. (Can I hear an AMEN, out there?) And I am in that time of life where I want to drive what I want to drive, NOT to drive what makes better sense for me to drive. I could lease a new GM vehicle and drive my SSR just after the salt has been washed off the roads by the first two hard rains in spring, and put him away when I see the first salt truck in the fall. But, that leaves me six months of wishing I could drive my SSR. So, at this point I am planning on driving my SSR all year around, and as I currently do now, going to my car wash every week (or more) to keep salt at bay. So, I have researched products that could be used to help prevent what salt can do to vehicles. I would not do something like a heavy wax Zebart. But I am now looking at NH based products and have gone to the local shop of Krown Products, who has been in Canada, the man told me for over 50+ years. This is a thinner based oil product that is fogged inside panels and on the under body. They say it should be done annually, and the cost is about $150 each application. The truck will drip a bit for one to two days as the products seeps into every tight spot. They say the product protects and lubricates working parts like window parts. Has anyone tied this type of product before on their SSR? Please give me feedback on what you found.
Second question, has anyone tried to apply sound deadener on the inside of the roof panel storage container? I seem to be getting more rear road sound than I like to hear. I have used Dynamat extensively in my Show Truck and love what it did to contain sound. Can I stop the motion of the panel folding up by turning off the key and not have problems restarting the
opening process?
And yes, I am really getting to my SSR and have been ordering parts to get him to what love to drive.
Lastly, this site has garnered new friends and one man, Jaybird, lives only 10-15 miles away who Ii will meet soon, so I can test drive his SSR which he has installed all the frame stiffening panels, so I can see if I want to purchase and install some myself.

Street Rod Andy

Reactions: HUAW and Firetruck

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,345 Posts
Andy one of the biggest issues I run into here in St Louis with salt is fuel and brake lines. I have replaced them on almost all of my daily drivers. I have 2 vehicles right now sitting with rusted out brake lines. One they don't make a brake line kit for so I have to make my own. (which is why it is still sitting). The SSR is going to fall into that group of probably nothing made to order for it for fuel and brake lines.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Let me explain that I live in Michigan, and we must use salt on public roads for the "daily drivers" to go about their lives safely. I used to be a "daily driver" but I cured myself. (Can I hear an AMEN, out there?) And I am in that time of life where I want to drive what I want to drive, NOT to drive what makes better sense for me to drive. I could lease a new GM vehicle and drive my SSR just after the salt has been washed off the roads by the first two hard rains in spring, and put him away when I see the first salt truck in the fall. But, that leaves me six months of wishing I could drive my SSR. So, at this point I am planning on driving my SSR all year around, and as I currently do now, going to my car wash every week (or more) to keep salt at bay. So, I have researched products that could be used to help prevent what salt can do to vehicles. I would not do something like a heavy wax Zebart. But I am now looking at NH based products and have gone to the local shop of Krown Products, who has been in Canada, the man told me for over 50+ years. This is a thinner based oil product that is fogged inside panels and on the under body. They say it should be done annually, and the cost is about $150 each application. The truck will drip a bit for one to two days as the products seeps into every tight spot. They say the product protects and lubricates working parts like window parts. Has anyone tied this type of product before on their SSR? Please give me feedback on what you found.
Second question, has anyone tried to apply sound deadener on the inside of the roof panel storage container? I seem to be getting more rear road sound than I like to hear. I have used Dynamat extensively in my Show Truck and love what it did to contain sound. Can I stop the motion of the panel folding up by turning off the key and not have problems restarting the
opening process?
And yes, I am really getting to my SSR and have been ordering parts to get him to what love to drive.
Lastly, this site has garnered new friends and one man, Jaybird, lives only 10-15 miles away who Ii will meet soon, so I can test drive his SSR which he has installed all the frame stiffening panels, so I can see if I want to purchase and install some myself.

Street Rod Andy
:rolleyes:
Here is a product I have never used but heard about. I'm about to get a new fishing boat and at times will be using it in the Intracoastal Waterway. Even though it will have a galvanized trailer, I still want to use some of this stuff to try and ward off corrosion.

Check it out.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,120 Posts
opening process?

Street Rod Andy
Andy,
You can stop the roof retraction at anytime in the process by releasing the button on the console. If you turn off the key the roof will be in "Freefall" but if you are in the right position it will balance itself. I do this at shows because it lets people understand the operation. I would not suggest doing this if you are working in the roof storage compartment. When sound proofing that area it should be done with the top up but the storage compartment open and the ignition off. This should have no ill effect on the operation of the top when you restart the truck. I know there are several trucks out there with Fatmat installed in the roof compartment. I hope this is helpful information.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,557 Posts
Yeeeeeep, I'm on the "Use It!" side of the fence. Ilsa sees the road year-long in all weather in Iowa, but (as my neighbors will attest) she also gets a lot of my attention in the driveway when it's a nice day. She also does minor, racing by-the-way. If she has to go out in the salt, I get her to a car wash as soon as possible afterward. I also know that the time is drawing closer when we won't be able to get needed parts anymore, but luckily, many of the parts are also for Trailblazers which should help their availability. Looking into my crystal ball, I'm seeing maybe three more years of racing Ilsa before my back and joints decide that era is over for me, and by then, frequent maintenance may give way to something hybrid or electric with a warranty. But Ilsa will always be the coolest vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:rolleyes:
Here is a product I have never used but heard about. I'm about to get a new fishing boat and at times will be using it in the Intracoastal Waterway. Even though it will have a galvanized trailer, I still want to use some of this stuff to try and ward off corrosion.

Check it out.

Thank you, and in their line, I would use the PB B'LASTER PENETRANT to stop rust. The NH chemical used in Krown Products is very similar, and they can do my entire vehicle. But, in your boat use, several cans would do the job, I think.

Street Rod Andy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy one of the biggest issues I run into here in St Louis with salt is fuel and brake lines. I have replaced them on almost all of my daily drivers. I have 2 vehicles right now sitting with rusted out brake lines. One they don't make a brake line kit for so I have to make my own. (which is why it is still sitting). The SSR is going to fall into that group of probably nothing made to order for it for fuel and brake lines.
I will keep everyone informed if I get my SSR done. At this point, I feel I better take care of stopping rust from happening.

Street Rod Andy

Reactions: Stlhotrod

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy,
You can stop the roof retraction at anytime in the process by releasing the button on the console. If you turn off the key the roof will be in "Freefall" but if you are in the right position it will balance itself. I do this at shows because it lets people understand the operation. I would not suggest doing this if you are working in the roof storage compartment. When sound proofing that area it should be done with the top up but the storage compartment open and the ignition off. This should have no ill effect on the operation of the top when you restart the truck. I know there are several trucks out there with Fatmat installed in the roof compartment. I hope this is helpful information.
A big Thank You for your information about how to work my top. I was wondering how to display my SSR at Street Rod Shows, and now I know. I also need to see the inside of the roof storage compartment to determine if it is double wall between the compartment and the outside skin. I am looking at where to "fog" the NH rust penetrant. And (since I have left over Dynamat sound proofing) I will be doing that area and others I find on my SSR.

Street Rod Andy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeeeeeep, I'm on the "Use It!" side of the fence. Ilsa sees the road year-long in all weather in Iowa, but (as my neighbors will attest) she also gets a lot of my attention in the driveway when it's a nice day. She also does minor, racing by-the-way. If she has to go out in the salt, I get her to a car wash as soon as possible afterward. I also know that the time is drawing closer when we won't be able to get needed parts anymore, but luckily, many of the parts are also for Trailblazers which should help their availability. Looking into my crystal ball, I'm seeing maybe three more years of racing Ilsa before my back and joints decide that era is over for me, and by then, frequent maintenance may give way to something hybrid or electric with a warranty. But Ilsa will always be the coolest vehicle I've ever owned.
Yes, the Electrics are coming!! I live in Metro Detroit and I hear tons about all electrics. But, I tell my wife that we will have one electric for around town (meaning her car) and one "road car" that runs on gas (that will be mine). But, the real question is where are we going to get all that electric power from? THAT is the real BIG QUESTION, for sure.

Street Rod Andy

Reactions: BlueStreak

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,833 Posts
Yes, the Electrics are coming!! I live in Metro Detroit and I hear tons about all electrics. But, I tell my wife that we will have one electric for around town (meaning her car) and one "road car" that runs on gas (that will be mine). But, the real question is where are we going to get all that electric power from? THAT is the real BIG QUESTION, for sure.

Street Rod Andy
Hate to rain on everybody's parade but the grid will never keep up. I am 79 years old and don't plan on ever owning any electric whatever. If they make them mandatory I will sell my "ICE" vehicles and check into a home for seniors and or the cemetery. A vehicle needs raw horsepower and sweet exhaust noise in my book. Someone on the down hill run here.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,120 Posts
Hate to rain on everybody's parade but the grid will never keep up. I am 79 years old and don't plan on ever owning any electric whatever. If they make them mandatory I will sell my "ICE" vehicles and check into a home for seniors and or the cemetery. A vehicle needs raw horsepower and sweet exhaust noise in my book. Someone on the down hill run here.
Had a guy yesterday tell me that he had figured it out. Internal combustion engine running on water being split into Hydrogen and oxygen by the batteries. I started to laugh and he said he was serious so I said that would be perpetual motion if you catch the exhaust and put it bank in the tank. He said "I'll work on that" as I was walking away.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, we are in the same age bracket, and yes they are coming and my wife (not me) will be driving one. But what is coming AFTER electric cars? My guess is Hydrogen Powered. You know, take in H2O, take out the H as you need it to burn and spit out O into the air. Oxygen making vehicles, that is what we need. And the man who build all test engines for GM for over 20 years (and has been retired for another 20+ years) was working on Hydrogen engines back then.
And if you don't think technology can change that fast, remember Beta Max, 8-Track tapes etc, etc, etc.
Life is a great ride - - - don't even weaken.

Street Rod Andy

·
Slingshot Rules!
85,882 Posts
Let me explain that I live in Michigan, and we must use salt on public roads for the "daily drivers" to go about their lives safely. I used to be a "daily driver" but I cured myself. (Can I hear an AMEN, out there?)

Street Rod Andy

Very valid points, Street Rod Andy . . .

Ya gotta hate all that stuff that gets spread on the roads nowadays.

Thankfully, NOT IN MY BACKYARD.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very valid points, Street Rod Andy . . .

Ya gotta hate all that stuff that gets spread on the roads nowadays.

Thankfully, NOT IN MY BACKYARD.

Oh, lucky you. But, I have green trees and green grass and weeds too. Sometimes I like it better here, and then there is the "salt" season.

Street Rod Andy

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
4,070 Posts
To further @BlueStreak explanation on the top. There is a balance point but it's not very far from open. If you stop it farther back and turn the motor off, it will settle down into the roofwell once the pressure bleeds off. No harm at all. At that point you can restart and go to fully closed or open, no problem either way.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
(y)
If I last till September, I'll become 80 myself. Don't have any desire whatsoever to get/want an electric ride. The supporting infrastructure won't be ready for many years to handle any massive swap to such vehicles. Only if there suddenly becomes some indeed MAJOR break thru in battery technology, we will without that be stuck with the need for all of these earth minerals, etc. that (by the way) are for the most part only available in third world countries and/or other places that might not want to help us out.
Gas and related fossil fuels will be around and necessary for many years to come. After that, we're out of here.:eek:

·
Slingshot Rules!
85,882 Posts
Oh, lucky you. But, I have green trees and green grass and weeds too. Sometimes I like it better here, and then there is the "salt" season.

Street Rod Andy

Never heard it referred to as the "Salt Season" before, Street Rod Andy.

Whenever I run errands in The Bummer (1986 Jeep CJ-7) there is always a "One Vehicle Car Show" no matter where I stop. The typical first question is . . . "Has he always lived in Arizona?" When I answer YES, their eyes light up like . . .

·
Registered
226 Posts
A big Thank You for your information about how to work my top. I was wondering how to display my SSR at Street Rod Shows, and now I know. I also need to see the inside of the roof storage compartment to determine if it is double wall between the compartment and the outside skin. I am looking at where to "fog" the NH rust penetrant. And (since I have left over Dynamat sound proofing) I will be doing that area and others I find on my SSR.

Street Rod Andy
if you look on the one drive Dictator, has you will see how to install sound proofing in the roof vents in the roof storage area

·
Registered
2004 chevrolet ssr
56 Posts
opening process?

Street Rod Andy
fluid film has come out with an automobile undercoating . i would seriously look in to that. you can't beat their rust and corrosion protectant that comes in the aerosol can for protecting metal

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fluid film has come out with an automobile undercoating . i would seriously look in to that. you can't beat their rust and corrosion protectant that comes in the aerosol can for protecting metal
Well, I just looked it up, since I had never heard of it before. Some guy who loves it, but he lists some problems with it. And, I quote his article, as he says; "Best described as a mixture of phlegm & nose snot, this stuff sure ain’t pretty but boy does it stick. " Doesn't look good but does a good job - - - - sort of sounds like many of my best friends. Seriously, I plan on researching everyone's ideas, and we will see what I favor.

Street Rod Andy

Reactions: bluenoser
1 - 20 of 67 Posts