Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you that weren't around this forum last winter....this is what an SSR looks like in the snow.

And yes I drove my SSR around in the white stuff. My other vehicle is an Z28 Camaro and the SSR handled much better in the snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
SSR in the Snow

It's 7:15 am here in Flagstaff and snowing like crazy. It rained all last night, and now we have about 3 inches of snow accumulated with lots more coming. It looks like #369 red is in for the winter already. It just takes too long to clean all the salt and dirt off after the 12 hour clean-up job my son and I did last week! :nopity

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
No Rain

My SSR has only been in the rain/snow one weekend. The weekend I drove it home to California from Montana last December 5th...

You are brave...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Winter Storage

undefinedundefined Hi people i just wanted to help you all out in the cold winters i had my SSR for a few weeks when i first got her and didn't drive it well i had to get a Battery Tender but couldn't get it to fit right cause the cables are on the side flush so what you need to do is go to Napa or another auto parts store and buy like a two sided bolt they will know well then take your ssr bolt out apply new one so its flush then on outer end attach the two round connectors provided with the battery tender run wire through the opening in plastic battery box wrap wire around back bumper under back now you have a plug that is permeant so all you have to do is plug it in when setting in Garage for awhile or all winter this is really a great way to keep battery full charge and ready to roll all the time thanks for listening Doug Adkins.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Winter snow soon to be here too!

Peaches said:
It's 7:15 am here in Flagstaff and snowing like crazy. It rained all last night, and now we have about 3 inches of snow accumulated with lots more coming. It looks like #369 red is in for the winter already. It just takes too long to clean all the salt and dirt off after the 12 hour clean-up job my son and I did last week! :nopity
I AGREE! slumber time soon :(

·
Registered
277 Posts
Peaches said:
Peaches,

Aren't you the one that had enough of California sunshine? I agree Cal isn't what it used to be, but I'll take the weather anytime. I'll send you some sunshine in pictures...

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Going through Flagstaff

Hey, Peaches

We had planned to go through Flagstaff, then south to Phoenix on Nov 7th, after doing the Grand Canyon train trip - don't like the sound of that snow. We hit some two years ago in late November, but it cleared up fairly quickly as we slipped and slid west on I40. It was totally cleared up within about 20 minutes of Flagstaff.

Do they sand, or just salt the road? I'm more concerned about rock chips than getting it grungy.

How far south should I expect the crappy weather to follow me?

Ray

·
Registered
349 Posts
Flagstaff Roads vs. So Cal Sun

Flassh,

When is your trip? Right now, I-40 is closed, but will open in a couple hours tops. It's still snowing hard, but the roads are just slushy. Unfortunately, they do use salt here, but only on the intersections and the interstate, and in fairly small amounts. They do a good job on snow removal here.

Fred Edick,

Believe me, it wasn't the sunshine that I was trying to get away from in So Cal! Enjoy some for me (the next time you can see any through the smog)! :lol

I think I'll Zaino the wheels tonight after I finish shovelling the snow. . . . :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Hi, Peaches

Thanks for the response. We're heading out tomorrow morning for SEMA. I've got the SSR in my hauler, to get it through guaranteed gravel and slush between here and the coast. We'll unload it tomorrow in Vancouver, then head out, staying close to I5 for the first part of the trip. We'll be on the Grand Canyon train on Sunday, Nov 7, then down to Phoenix, and across to LA, up to San Fran, taking as much of the coastal highway as possible on the way home.

Doesn't sound like too much trouble getting through - I've got the Colgan bra ready just in case.

Ray

·
Registered
371 Posts
looking4_an_ssr said:
For those of you that weren't around this forum last winter....this is what an SSR looks like in the snow.

And yes I drove my SSR around in the white stuff. My other vehicle is an Z28 Camaro and the SSR handled much better in the snow.

So, looking, what you're telling us new guys that have just gotten their SSR is that the snow doesn't collect on an SSR in the Winter, and we won't have to scrape the windows? :) Or are those tell tale tracks I see emerging from under the closed garage door which means your wifes care sits out in the cold? :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I plan on driving the daylights out of my SSR all winter in Va. and up to PA. It works great in the snow and ice. :jester

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
flood and mud

It not the snow or ice we worry about here in my neck of the desert. Recent down pours has flooded the roads and muds runeth over everywhere. 20 min. drive is taking 1.5hrs. But I am braving my SSR.
Mountain peaks are already covered in white.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tall tale

Living2be,

Well, yes you spied the tracks from the garage which was empty except for the SSR at the time. And just to set the record straight, that was my roommates car (not my wife's), so I didn't feel compelled to clean the snow off of it :lol :lol :lol

But things change and this year I will not have a garage to park the SSR in to avoid the cold and snow. In fact my SSR hasn't seen the inside of a garage since last March. If anyone has a spare garage you could send me :lol , I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gee Lookin....I'm sorry your SSR hasn't seen a garage in a while and will have to spend the cold Winter nights outside. I also apologize for assuming that your Z28 was inside with the SSR. Maybe this Wintrer will be warmer and drier so your "Baby" won't catch cold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Battery Tender help

We have no problem getting to the battery; cover came right off the battery - we hooked the alligator clips up but it has been 2 days and it is still charging (solid red light). Been reading other posts on the subject - are the alligator clips my problem? Have used them on other cars with no problem. I am having a hard time understanding why the bolts have to be changed and the clips don't work. I am not a mechanic and I am struggling to explain and understand the problem. Thanks for any help.

Doug Adkins said:
undefinedundefined Hi people i just wanted to help you all out in the cold winters i had my SSR for a few weeks when i first got her and didn't drive it well i had to get a Battery Tender but couldn't get it to fit right cause the cables are on the side flush so what you need to do is go to Napa or another auto parts store and buy like a two sided bolt they will know well then take your ssr bolt out apply new one so its flush then on outer end attach the two round connectors provided with the battery tender run wire through the opening in plastic battery box wrap wire around back bumper under back now you have a plug that is permeant so all you have to do is plug it in when setting in Garage for awhile or all winter this is really a great way to keep battery full charge and ready to roll all the time thanks for listening Doug Adkins.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts