Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and either missed it or maybe have a different problem on my wiper arms. I changed out my arms on my 04 to later version and all was good. They worked flawlessly. I then had a noise coming from the dash area and pulled the wiper arms off and wiper motor off to check for leaves down in the cowl arear. I put it all back together and don't think I moved anything but now my wiper arms don't reset to the lowest position when I turn them off. They stop about 2-3 inches higher than they were. When I turn the wipers on the will go down toward the cowl then make the sweep across the windshield. Any ideas?

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
There are White dots at the bottom of the windshield in the Black grid to set the end of the wipers in the at rest position. Reposition them, and you should be Ok.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is when I turn them off they stop but when I turn them on they go down first, then through the normal swipe it is something to do with the stopping point in the arm or motor mechanics. I don't know how it could have changed by just unbolting everything then reinstalling it all.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,457 Posts
I would try taking the arms off, run the motor and shut it off then put the arms on at the index points indicated by Yellow Bear.
Just a thought. Never done it.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,044 Posts
I would try taking the arms off, run the motor and shut it off then put the arms on at the index points indicated by Yellow Bear.
Just a thought. Never done it.
Good call. When I had my windshield replace a while back, and afterward I was never happy with the position of the wiper arms. Subsequently I did what you suggested, turn the wipers on and off, then pulled the arms and placed them where I wanted them to stop. It took a couple attempts to get them low and not hitting the cowl.

FWIW: I also bought a cheap wiper arm puller as none of my gear/pulley pullers would quite get in there.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Daily Driver
8,948 Posts
I used my puller that is for pulling battery cables off battery posts.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,102 Posts
I searched and either missed it or maybe have a different problem on my wiper arms. I changed out my arms on my 04 to later version and all was good. They worked flawlessly. I then had a noise coming from the dash area and pulled the wiper arms off and wiper motor off to check for leaves down in the cowl arear. I put it all back together and don't think I moved anything but now my wiper arms don't reset to the lowest position when I turn them off. They stop about 2-3 inches higher than they were. When I turn the wipers on the will go down toward the cowl then make the sweep across the windshield. Any ideas?
Please don’t change the wipers on their splined connections. They should be OK, once you have the “system” that drives them correctly indexed to the motor.

I’ll bet that when you disconnected the motor assembly from the wiper arm system, you lost the critical indexing of the motor to the wiper system. That has a splined interface and I suspect you are a couple splines off.

To reset the whole thing correctly, you should cycle the wiper motor to the “resting” position. Once there, you should disconnect the wiper system from the motor and index the system so that the wipers are at the bottom of their stroke. This will mean that when the wiper motor starts moving, you will swing up the windshield.......

My two cents,

Mike

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
I just did a wiper motor over the weekend on an SSR but know this is a common issue with many reinstallations. What you did was install the motor to wiper transmission arm in the wrong orientation as Mike mentioned above. When the motor is stopped in the park position the arm that is attached to the motor is not in it's proper place. When you turn on the wipers, the arm moves to the parked position and cycles past that point and then stops above that point.

In the OFF parked position, the wiper arm transmission to motor connection is directly over the attachment bolt. If you moved the arm over a little to get to the bolt before it was tightened then you might need to take the arm off and reinstall. What I did was cycle the motor a few times with the wipers and arm off. Then place the arm on the motor so that the arm is directly over the bolt, install the nut as tight as you can while under the arm, then move the transmission arm to allow better access and then tighten the bolt all the way. Cycle it one more time to insure that when in the parked position the arm is directly over the bolt and that the arm pivots do not move in the opposite direction when the motor turns on.

You should take off the wipers to get good access to the motor. Like others said, when installing the wipers there are two little dots on the windshield, cycle the motor one time to get it to the correct park position, then attach the arms and align them to those dots.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to fixing this and thanks to the good advice here I got it fixed. The arm on the motor was off. If you are looking at the motor the arm should be pointing at the 9 o'clock position. Which like Dragon said has the arm right over the nut to tighten. I was able to get a wrench on it and snug it. I checked everything was right then tightened it all up. Thanks again to Dragon2U, Dictator and Mike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts