Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know there is another post by Rick13 about a similar problem but I never got a reply to my post there so I'll try a new post. When I turn on the key of my 2004 SSR (58,000 mi) the wipers will come on and then turn on and off intermittently. Sometimes they will even stay on for a minute or so. If I turn the wiper knob on the multi-function switch the washer will come on. Sometimes it will stop, sometimes it won't. I already removed the wiper/washer related fuses and relays and they all check out good. I removed the pulse board from the motor and checked it for corrosion, burnt smell, etc. and visually it seems ok. I'm thinking it may be the multi-function switch but hate to buy both the switch and board to figure out which one it is. Does anyone know something else I can try to steer me to the right component? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,300 Posts
My money is on the pulse board (wiper cover)

Easy to test if you have a voltmeter
Test at either the base of the steering column connector C201 or at wiper cover WITH PROBLEM OCCURING (wipers are running -- but wiper switch is turned off!)
With black lead connected to good ground test
Backprobe red lead of voltmeter at the following locations
Wiper cover -- terminal E - gray wire should read 12 volts
-- terminal D - Dark Blue/ White tracer should read 12 volts
-- terminal C - Pink wire should read 0 volts
At C201 -- terminal E8 - gray wire should read 12 volts
-- terminal E5 - Dark Blue/ White tracer should read 12 volts
-- terminal E4 - Pink wire should read 0 volts

If above readings all good wipers not shutting off -- bad cover
If D (E5) reads 0 volts - switch shorted to high speed
If C (E4) reads some voltage switch shorted to delay or low speed depending on voltage
If E (E8) reads 0 volts - more testing required

Diagrams attached to help identify which wires

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Autoprof, I have a meter but had already ordered a pulse board. I found one on Ebay for $75.69. Popped it in and my wipers are back to normal again. I was concerned with the part number being different from the "discontinued Original Equipment" so called and spoke with a GM Technician (at GM). He was totally confused and didn't know anything about interchangeable parts. Amazing isn't it? I'm sure glad I found this forum. This is my first stop whenever I have a problem with my SSR. Thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Could you share the inter-changeable part number with the rest of Us? I am sure somewhere down the road it might help another Member. Thanks in Advance and glad you got your issue resolved.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,899 Posts
Zapp, Glad you got it back to normal!! I see you only have 5 post in 6 years, so don't be a stranger. Put your 2 cents in some of this stuff! Also---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,319 Posts
Could you share the inter-changeable part number with the rest of Us? I am sure somewhere down the road it might help another Member. Thanks in Advance and glad you got your issue resolved.
The wiper motor pulse board is GM part number 19120931. It’s a Trailblazer part. It’s amazing that GM recommends replacing the entire SSR motor assembly instead of just the pulse board like the Trailblazer. I’ve been involved in replacing these boards for several years.... ever since GM ran out of complete motor assemblies. I have never seen a failure of the wiper motor itself......

Mike

·
Registered
2005 Slingshot Yellow 6-speed
8 Posts
Pulse Module is available... Cardone Part # 40-1076L. For 2006 Trailblazer Rebuilt motor & linkage. Swapped the pulse modules and returned assembly with bad module for core. Replaced mine a couple months ago (after replacing the switch/lever that wasn't bad).. :yellow:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,319 Posts
Pulse Module is available... Cardone Part # 40-1076L. For 2006 Trailblazer Rebuilt motor & linkage. Swapped the pulse modules and returned assembly with bad module for core. Replaced mine a couple months ago (after replacing the switch/lever that wasn't bad).. :yellow:
New 19120931 pulse modules are also available from AC Delco as a brand new part. They can be acquired from lots of places across the internet and I keep a couple on hand. If you buy one on line, be sure it is a genuine AC Delco part.

My two cents,

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts