Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|
Yup, I've reviewed my Service Manual and it shows tail/stop/turn on two different pages with two different colors......unclear as to which is which. Same story with search of prior posts on this subject.

One did seem to clarify and I'm double checking now.

Wires on LEFT rear light are Brn and yellow/blk and Blk.

I believe the Brn is Tail/Stop while the Turn is yellow/blk.

Blk wire is ground

Wires on RIGHT rear light are Brn/wh and Green and Blk

I believe the Brn/wh is Tail/Stop while the Turn is Green

Blk wire is ground.

Does that sound correct..............:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Sounds right to me. Turn signals/brake light usually different base colors left to right while tailight wires usually same base color both sides.
Easy enough to test.
Turn on taillights the connect test light to black wire, then check brn, brn/why wires for power. If test light light comes on your good, if not try other wire.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_plain.png
Yup, I've reviewed my Service Manual and it shows tail/stop/turn on two different pages with two different colors......unclear as to which is which. Same story with search of prior posts on this subject.

One did seem to clarify and I'm double checking now.

Wires on LEFT rear light are Brn and yellow/blk and Blk.

I believe the Brn is Tail/Stop while the Turn is yellow/blk.

Blk wire is ground

Wires on RIGHT rear light are Brn/wh and Green and Blk

I believe the Brn/wh is Tail/Stop while the Turn is Green

Blk wire is ground.

Does that sound correct............../forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
That's what I wrote down after checking wiring to install my GTO spoiler with brake light. Hey you doing any prep for Florence. Hope you everything will be OK. Told cousin in Myrtle Beach to head this way.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
Turn/Stop will be same wire, not Tail/Stop. Typically Tail is brn on a lot of vehicles, Turn/Stop should be the ylw/blk and grn wires.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
Turn/Stop will be same wire, not Tail/Stop. Typically Tail is brn on a lot of vehicles, Turn/Stop should be the ylw/blk and grn wires.
Good catch, I read right through that. Must still be asleep this morning.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:smile2:

Thanks, I get the correction that stop/turn is one and tail is the other. My faulty logic said that a striped wire on one side would equate to a striped wire on the other side.:surprise:

Not so. So brown with white strip on (right side) equates to plain brown on (left side) both of those wires being for the tail lights.

Then yellow with a black strip on (left side) equates to plain green on (right side) both of those wires being for Stop/Turn............ Of course the black wire (both sides) is ground.

On the other side of things, the Caddy lite set up goes as follows........White wire is ground, Black wire is Tail lights and Red wire is Stop/Turn.....

All the above has to come together in the correct slots of this Delphi Weather Pack Connector.

:nerd: May have to hoist a few and hope for the best.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I wrote down after checking wiring to install my GTO spoiler with brake light. Hey you doing any prep for Florence. Hope you everything will be OK. Told cousin in Myrtle Beach to head this way.
I read this earlier today and was so caught up about finishing my wiring job, I thought at the time........WTF is he talking about.

I've known for days about a "pending" big wind coming our way........so late this afternoon, we checked with Weather Channel and then BINGO, I connected the dots..........:grin2:

I'm not too excited yet. Will make sure to have plenty of beer on hand and maybe some extra water too. It seems the water shelves and other stuff is already disappearing from the local store shelves. Was at ACE H.W. earlier today and guy came in looking for generators......Clerk said we are out but will have new shipment in tomorrow morning...........

It seems high potential for my upcoming Friday golf league game to be interrupted but it shouldn't effect my Tuesday league and it should become fairly clear as to the "path" and required actions around Thursday.

Stay tuned.....................................:nerd:

P.S. Working upside down in a hot driveway underneath the back end and not having the "special" crimper for the Delphi connector deal.......I backed off of that. Went with my usual connector setup and shrink tubing and finally got done late this afternoon. Truck is too dirty to take the pics.....will get 'er done and post the Caddy lite setup in a few days.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Caddy lights are done

I've managed to continue my custom theme for rear tail lights. Owned my '39 Chevy for about 40 years, and back in the early 90's as I was completing a total redo (body off) new sub frame, different engine/trans/rear end, interior paint, etc.........I had the stock tail light housings enlarged to accept the '59 Caddy lens.

Now, here is the old and now the new.........................:grin2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Boy, I must have read what I thought not what he wrote when I said seems correct. :banghead. At least my explanation was correct as to hooking them up/testing.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,650 Posts
Left tail/brake light is fused in engine fuse box.

Right tail/brake light is fused in engine fuse box.

Left and Right are fused separately.

Center Brake light, LED is fused in REAR fuse box.

Dicktator

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Rear Lights and Trailer Wiring

To summarize the wiring for the rear lights excluding the trailer hitch wiring:

Left park lamp- Brown
Right park lamp- Brown/white
Left turn signal/stop lamp- Yellow/Black
Right turn signal/stop lamp- Green
Ground- Black

When connecting a four-wire trailer connector to the SSR's built-in trailer hitch harness, the wiring connections are:

Left and right park lamps- Brown
Ground- White

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,650 Posts
To summarize the wiring for the rear lights excluding the trailer hitch wiring:

Left park lamp- Brown
Right park lamp- Brown/white
Ground- Black

When connecting a four-wire trailer connector to the SSR's built-in trailer hitch harness, the wiring connections are:

Left and right park lamps- Brown
Ground- White

Thanks, I saved this.

Dicktator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts