Chevy SSR Forum banner

Wiring

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Firetruck 
#1 ·
I sure hope someone out there can help me with this problem. The other day I noticed my high beams were not working. I can flick them, but they won't stay on. I looked under the hood and found, upon inspection of the fuse box, that some wires were cut and other spliced in. Two wires coming from the hl relay were involved.After soldering the wires that were cut back together, those two wires, about a #12 blue and about #14 black. I thought the black went to ground, but it seems it must go through something first. The wiring diagram is a little ambiguous with no color coding for the relay. Can anyone help? :frown2::silver:

#2 · (Edited)
Did you just solder the matching color wires back to each other?
So I am clear on your problem
Your flash to pass works when you move multi function switch, but high beams won't work when you move switch to high beam position.
Is this correct.
Later this evening i will post some things you can check. Do you own/know how to use a 12 volt test light or digital multimeter?

EDIT
Is this new occurrence or have your never had your high beams on?

#3 ·
the answer is yes. I began a career as an auto mechanic in 1967. I have all the tools.I soldered them back where they belonged. And, this problem was there when I bought the truck, but I usually don't drive at night, so I hadn't noticed, until I drove at night, the other day. It surprised me. Two wires were cut from under the fuse box, a yellow one and a purple one. also, one wire was cut off the light switch. If I connect the two wires from the relay to where they had them, the lights work fine, but don't shut off. Thanks.

#4 ·
I am sorry the wiring diagram only brings up more questions
You do know that the malfunction/dimmer switch has THREE postions
Neutral (center) is low beam
Pull towards you spring loaded and this is designed to only flash the high beams on -- not
Push away from you high beam mode

SORRY I don't mean to insult but I need to make sure you understand proper operation, many are not of aware of the flash to pass feature. (I just had to explain that to Mrs. on her newer car when see said high beams would not stay on!)

Your first post mentioned a blue wire and a black wire ???
Your second post then mentions a yellow wire and purple wire at the the fuse box and a wire of unknown color at the switch.

The yellow and purple wires are not connected to the hi headlight relay, what relay are you thinking they are part of?
Yellow wire near fuse box is most likely left side low beam while purple wire is for daytime running lights.

Have the DRL functioned normally since you owned the SSR?

I think somebody had/has rewired the DRL to work differently than they were intended operate and it may be difficult to undo what the did until everything that is associated is checked for proper operation. It will not be real easy to determine how to undo what they did until we understand what they did.

You might what to look at the DRL module (diode) for signs of tampering also. It is located in the folding top storage area.

You then say
"If I connect the two wires from the relay to where they had them, the lights work fine, but don't shut off."
With switch in off or in auto mode and the key off or both?

Do the fog lights work normally?

#5 ·
It is complicated. The drl worked right during the day, but at night you had to put the switch on full lights. Again, since I didn't usually drive at night, I didn't worry about that. But the lights are poor when on low beam when there are no lights on the roads. I first noticed the wire cut from the switch while looking under the dash. It was either yellow or white, I don't remember. I soldered that back together first. And when I looked closely under the hood I found the other jury-rigged wires. The headlight relay has two white or off-white wires that haven't been changed, but the other two, the blue and black ones were connected to the cut wires going to the fuse box. That's my quandry. Where do these wires really go? It is driving me crazy. Thanks again, I appreciate any help. one other thing. I do know how to put the high beams on.

#7 ·
You are correct it does sound complicated. I am having trouble understanding exactly what works and didn't work and where the cut wires are.
Do the wires that are cut appear to be part of the factory harness?

It is complicated. The drl worked right during the day, but at night you had to put the switch on full lights. .
This implies that the auto headlight feature does not work! Headlights did not switch from DRL to low beam when it got dark!
Just trying to determine what works correctly so we can rule out those components and what doesn't work so that we can inspect those circuits a little further.

The headlight relay has two white or off-white wires that haven't been changed, but the other two, the blue and black ones were connected to the cut wires going to the fuse box. That's my quandry. Where do these wires really go? It is driving me crazy. Thanks again, I appreciate any help. one other thing. I do know how to put the high beams on.
??? there are two relays for headlight operation -- both are in the under hood fuse box and you won't be able to see any wires going to them. Is the relay you are talking about inside the fusebox or outside. If outside the fuse box, then somebody has added it for some reason and you need to trace the wires back into the factory harness to see what they are spliced into. Perhaps even unplug that add on relay and see what works and what doesn't work!. The white wire at the headlight switch is the command signal to the BCM for headlights. I think maybe the headlights quit working normally and somebody could not figure out how to fix them correctly. The then butchered up the harness and installed an additional relay to make them work somewhat. I also included the headlight switch connector view

I have attached the diagrams (although I thought you said you had them) and the underhood fuse box diagram. NOTE the relay marked HDM controls low beam and the one marked HI HDLT operates the high beams.

Pictures of the harness and relay might be helpful

Attachments

#6 ·
Headlight Wiring

Do you have a shop manual that shows the wiring diagrams for the headlights? If not, provide me with your e-mail address via a Private Message and I'll scan three pages from the 2003 manual I have.

I agree with Autoprof that you need to figure out why someone altered the circuits with spliced connections and what that was supposed to accomplish. Is there any evidence by tracing the splices that a separate light switch, relay or additional lights may have been installed previously, maybe for flashing lights like those used by volunteer firefighters?

#8 ·
It is complicated. The drl worked right during the day, but at night you had to put the switch on full lights.

Check the operation of the ambient light sensor on the top of the instrument panel, too, as part of your diagnosis as to why the headlights aren't switching from DRL to low beam in the dark. Maybe that isn't working or isn't connected to the BCM.

#9 ·
Thanks to both of you. Now that I know the relay isn't supposed to be there, that explains a lot. I will remove it. All the other wires look original, now that I soldered them back together. Hopefully, the lights will work properly. You have been big helps. Although I repaired cars all my life, I never had to work on an american car before, and never one with drl.

#10 ·
Okay, I have an update. Everything is back in place and the high beams work fine. However, now I have no low beams or daytime lights. My question, in my under hood fuse box it calls for a headlight driver module #41. It looks like a space for an 8 prong relay. There is nothing in that spot. Is something supposed to be there? And can I buy one at the parts store?

#11 · (Edited)
Relays

Call Dealer Parts for the part #, buy it at auto parts store or online.
There is also a "RELAY CENTER" in the top storage compartment. Go to Sec.5, page 89 of the '04 Owners Manual.
In the "Relay Center" there is a Passenger side DRL RELAY.
" " " " " " " Driver side DRL RELAY.
If the relay for # 41 doesn't fix the problem check this next.

It sounds like the previous owner didn't like the DRLs and chopped up the wiring and added a relay for the headlights to go around the OEM wiring.

Jack

#12 ·
Headlight Relay

If you do not have relay 41 installed in your fuse box you will not have low beam headlamps. This is a four-blade relay; the part number printed on top is 15016745. See attached photo of a similar 2003 underhood fuse box- it's the black relay in the photo.

I'm still puzzled as to what was done to your lighting system...hopefully there are no more wiring gremlins.

Attachments

#13 ·
The headlight driver module is used in the Trailblazers to operate low beams and to cycle on and off rapidly to operate DRL
The SSR does not operate the DRL the same way - however I would never replace a replay (module) with anything other than the exact replacement.
Jack is correct that they should have one at auto zone, advance or Oriellys.
It is not 8 terminals 4 is all that is showing on my diagram. Perhaps somebody with an 03 or 04 could chime in here and tell what there looks like
Mine is in storage and I am also at work until 8pm tonight.

EDIT: a Big thank you to @snomuncher for posting picture while I was typing!

Post what happens after you replace missing component - if if not functioning correctly I can help you with further diagnosis if needed.

I started with foreign cars -- British Leland and Lucas electronics :nep:-- forced me to become good at electrical - but also made me finally give up on all European vehicles!:leaving

#15 ·
And looking at the space, it looks like it might have 2 4-prong relays.
It is 4 terminals as @snomuncher said.
However it is a weird 4 terminals lay out that actually covers 6 possible slots (again no car to look at - going by diagram!)
Picture #1 shows an AC delco relay with same part# snomuncher gave.
Picture #2 shows how it lays out in the fuse box

Advance near me carries only the BWD R6100 version of this relay, just over $30.

Attachments

#16 ·
Success!!! Once all the wires were back in place, replacing the relay finished the job. Thanks again for all the help. I never would have realized that relay didn't belong there. This truck is making me older by the minute, but I love it anyway.(like the British cars). you have my undying gratitude and respect.
Howie

#18 ·
You wouldn't have known the relay didn't belong there, because a relay just hanging on the harness is normal to see for a British car tech! :pokey:

Just kidding --- Great job! Glad to hear it all worked :banana:sunce::cheer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.