Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tried starting, it would just click. I kept turning the key off and on and it finally started. I turned it off after a few seconds. Tried starting again and nothing again. So I installed a new ignition switch again. I had installed a new one 1 1/2 years ago. Still just clicks. Radio stays on but no volume. Windows won't roll up or down. I manually turn the gear on the ignition switch and it doesn't start that way either. I am keeping the battery charger on it otherwise the radio will drain it. Railroad guy gave me the jumper fuse wire to install in the fuse box plus I installed a new 125 amp. fuse just to make sure. Still nothing. GRRRR. I was going to get under it and jump the starter to see if it is the starter relay but I figured with the radio staying on and the windows not working odds are it isn't a starter problem.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Sounds like a bad or loose battery cable. Be sure to check ALL battery cable conections especially the ground cable to body connection underneath the truck.
Could also be a faulty starter if you have higher mileage but would check cables first.
Its not ignition switch or starter would be silent.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The click I hear is the electrical turning on when I turn more to start it the only thing that happens is the headlights turn off or dim really low. I just checked the battery with the charger off. 9 volts. Getting a new battery. Will post if that fixes it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts