Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I start looking ?
Car always started right up with strong battery crank.
Although
Their have been times lately that it seemed to hesitate before cranking. (I assumed my foot wasn't firmly on the brake)
Yesterday I turn the key and nothing. Not even a click
The dash lights up - the headlights are strong - the warning bongs work - etc.......
I put a charger on it all night although I didn't think it was a bad battery.
Still nothing, not even a click.
I'm by no means a Motörhead and would really appreciate some advice on this.
My guess is a bad connection somewhere but I have no clue where to start looking.
Thanks Ed

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Hang on "Bullet" with all those "Motorhead SSRfanatics" in Florida, I'm sure help is on the way. That's one good thing about living in Florida ... lots of SSRfanatics in the "Orange Blossom State" and they know SSR's from top to bottom and front to back. Probably just an Ignition Switch, which is an easy fix. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hang on "Bullet" with all those "Motorhead SSRfanatics" in Florida, I'm sure help is on the way. That's one good thing about living in Florida ... lots of SSRfanatics in the "Orange Blossom State" and they know SSR's from top to bottom and front to back. Probably just an Ignition Switch, which is an easy fix. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:
Thanks Dog
I sure hope your right on the easy fix.
Temps down here are still in the mid nineties every day which means the garage is set to Broil. :crying:

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
Turn the truck to on, foot on brake, shift thru gears and back to park. Then try to start, any difference?

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
No motorhead, but given I have had some fuse misery lately you might check the starter fuse
Not sure which one that is but there is a diagram on the underside of the cover

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turn the truck to on, foot on brake, shift thru gears and back to park. Then try to start, any difference?
Thank You Sir
It worked on the second try. ?
So it's obviously the contact in park. Is their an adjustment for that ? I'm thinking that this contact will only get worse to the point that this trick work so many times.
Thanks again ?

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
Since your problem has been intermittent it could still be several things but most likely where I would start is faulty or out of adjustment neutral safety switch. I don't have access to service manuals currently I'll defer to other fanatics to provide that info. I believe the switch is on tranny. Fix lower shift cable at the same time if that mod hasn't been done.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Thank You Sir
It worked on the second try. ?
So it's obviously the contact in park. Is their an adjustment for that ? I'm thinking that this contact will only get worse to the point that this trick work so many times. Thanks again ?
You have an '04 so, if the ign switch has been upgraded and you have Dictator's shift cable repair installed.... I suspect the starter is going south on you. We went thru months of this same thing until, the starter took a crap in the middle of a road trip. It Did last 127K mi, tho... just something for your "O File"...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dick
I'll be in touch and swing by one day next week when it's convenient for you.
BTW I changed out the shift cable connecter with your kit and I think it was just in time. The old plastic bushing crumbled on removel.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
As usual, the great Dicktator to the rescue ... as Smokey Yunick said and had on the side of his race car "Best Damn Garage in Town" and that applies to Dicktator TOO !!!

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
Check the neutral safety switch at the brake pedal, and make sure the floor mat hasn't bunched up under the brake pedal hindering movement, thus activation. .02:jester

1 - 12 of 12 Posts