Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added the color keyed wood strips for the carpeted back end? Mine came with the wood tone strips and I am wondering what the yellow ones would look. Also how are they applied? Also how do you change the engine insert to the color keyed one also. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I paid a total of $16.00 for the varnish, wood and velcro to make my own. The factory ones look too wide and too fake for my taste. You can easily make them from wood strips and paint them yellow and then buy a can of urethane clear to make em shine right up after you spray em with a similar yellow to the ssr. :party

ps. velcro at wall mart cheap and easy to stick on. Has self adhesive backing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was really disappointed to find out that the strips was just fake plastic wood. How cool could it be to get real wood. GM is running low on truth in advertising when it lists as optional "Cargo Compartment Trim W/Wood" Now for me, I just didn't see the word plastic or simulated in the option description. :nono "Things that make you go hmmmmm"

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are 7 interior strips that have velcro attachemnt points to the velcro strips that are sewn/installed in the cargo mat of the Cargo Compartment Trip package. The two outer strips are slightly shorter and have a keyed attachment mechanism that slids into the two rails of the truck bed. Not sure how you would attach the 7 interior strips if the 'rug' wasn't in the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the rug in the back. I have the woodtone strips now and was thinking of changing to the yellow ones to match the truck. But I don't know how they look.

·
Registered
132 Posts
wood

Wondering about doing whole bed with a red maple(PREVERCO MFG COGNAC COLOR). Would need to leave openings for existing tie downs. A little early as only bought three days ago.

It will be interesting to see how resale prices will unfold for these unique vehicles one to three years out!

Am I off track with the all wood bed???

Frank

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Wood Strips/Long Term Value

Hey, Halifax - good to know there's an SSR at the other end of the country. We're talking about taking another road trip with our SSR next fall - want to do the Maritimes and north east US this time. I don't plan to store mine for 20 years hoping it goes up in price - having way too much fun.

I'm attaching photos of a couple of SSRs from the SEMA show with real live genuine wood strips in the cargo area - hope it inspires you. I think it would look awesome, adding to the retro concept. Personally, I'll keep the genuine imitation plastic wood and carpeted trunk and lid. Easy to clean, looks good. If I can land another set of strips at a reasonable cost, I'll repaint them to have a yellow set as well .

Re: long term value.

How many of us would give our teeth and limbs to own a 54 or 55 Corvette. I was looking through a Corvette book tonight while my wife was doing some browsing at the mall.

Interesting quote: "Of the total production of 3460 units in 1954, over 1/3 remained unsold at the end of the model year, prompting GM to cut production to 700 Corvettes in 1955"

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts