Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking with another fanatic yesterday about doing a wood bed conversion in my R similar to the older trucks. He said he has seen a couple out there so I wondered if anyone might respond with pics and build details. Example of a wood bed below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

I did it on mine, I’ll look for the pictures on my computer. For now you can look at my 48.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
Yes, this is a response from Horkeys Wood and Parts from some time ago -

----------
We have what we call the Show Deck. Its a portable deck for your SSR. The wood is either ASH or OAK. ASH and Stainless
Hardware is $880. ASH and Polished Hardware is $995 If you're interested in OAK Wood, you would add $48 to each price.
This deck requires no drilling into your box and can easily be put in and out.

If you are interested, please give me a call at 507-831-5625 or you can view it also in the Web Site @ Home page Horkey wood and Parts

Thanks for the interest in our company.
Carolyn @ Horkeys
----------

A picture of SSR Fathers bed.

Here is another one -

And -

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome

Well ain't that a kick, now I can simply order one instead of doing one from scratch. Thanks guys, will be calling to place order.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a kit with matched grain ash and polished stainless strips. On their web site they have a link to a you tube video showing a kit being installed on a Velocity channel show I watch.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

Here is my dyi version

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

Make a back pattern

Make a side pattern

The above a by far the hardest part.

Transfer it to a full size template

Rest and admire your work.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

Cut, I use a router with a pattern bit. Then apply the finish of your choice, my is oak with clear polyurethane.

Layout for your bed strips.

Cut the groves for the strips. I used a router with a straight edge, if I were doing it now I’d use my track saw (great tool).

Bolt the strips in place. On the back counter sink and cut flush so the don’t poke down.

Cut your rails to fit.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Notice the front edge had an iron on oak strip, added before finishing so it won’t look like plywood.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If your in the Phoenix area I still have the pattern to make more and would be happy to help you make one.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pics Jim... I was thinking about doing it myself till the vendor source came up. I took the easy way out and just picked up the phone. Your pics should be of help to anyone wanting to do it themselves. Good job, looks good. I will be somewhat nearby in June coming back from L A with the R and its new woody conversion. Will be flying by on I-40 thru Flagstaff.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,017 Posts
If your in the Phoenix area I still have the pattern to make more and would be happy to help you make one.

WOW! awesome work! May have to give this a go when I get some free time. Thank you for the pictures!
Cheers, Carl

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
Pic #1 - Less hardware
Pic #2 - might be the pre-built kit Dragon2U referred to
I saved the picture - have no idea where I saw it though

Custom bed - #2682.jpg Custom Wood Bed.jpg

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That really does dress up the back of the truck, The "Boss" would send me packing if I did this......you guys with your upgrades are killing me. Maybe down the road you never know.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,554 Posts
Oh great!!!!! - :surprise:

I do believe I'm falling in love again looking at those wooden beds!!.....

♥♥♥ 2018-05-28-15-22-16-535085965.jpeg ♥♥♥​

◆◆◆ - My wife is gonna kill me!! - >:)

=============
David :black:
images-9.jpeg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts