Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as anybody out there installed a complete wooden bed, like the old school chevys, fords and dodge? I've look at a couple of sites and the seem pretty cool looking. One in particular, Horkey Show Deck, seems real cool. Thinking about it but wanted some input before I drop $1000. Any comennts appreciated.

· Registered
255 Posts
I was trying to ask Horkey about making a weatherproof version for when I inevitably want to take my lid off and keep it off - alternately, maybe even to buy a template from them to make my own with, since the guys who've done their own don't still have the templates handy.

Well, their replies were anything but warm'n'fuzzy, asking why I'd ever want to take the lid off and even telling me that it wasn't possible to make an outdoor-friendly version of the wood floor; said to use "a rino liner or something like that" (sic).

I'll template my own truck then, and see if I can't prove them wrong.

· Super Road Rocket Pilot
7,045 Posts
I was trying to ask Horkey about making a weatherproof version .... their replies were anything but warm'n'fuzzy, asking why I'd ever want to take the lid off and even telling me that it wasn't possible to make an outdoor-friendly version of the wood floor; said to use "a rino liner or something like that" (sic).
That is very odd. I would surely think that they would say "no problem". They make beds for regular trucks for goodness sakes. So I guess you have to park your truck indoors and not let it get wet when you wash it? I know it is for "show" but if you seal it properly there should be no issues. :banghead

Horkey???
Yeah, I smirk every time I read that too, but it is the owners last name.

· Premium Member
04 SSR
4,653 Posts
A few years back I copied another members idea using 3/4 Oak plywood. It sits on top of the rails for a carpeted bed and still clears bottom of the tailgate when closed.
I posted it somewhere, but this one link recently was posted so I added it here again

1. I first made a pattern out of poster board
2. transferred to 1x6 so it could be removed easier while working on project.
3. I then transferred to chip board for pattern using flush trim router.
4. Removed bed cover and test fit chop board.
5. Used chip board and flush trim router to create oak bed floor.
6. Routered some channels for polished stainless run strips and polished stainless 1.5 inch corner guard for end cap.
7. Stained board
8. Cut strips and end cap to proper length and glued to finished board.
9. Stapled welting around perimeter of board (the inside of truck tapers - the welting fills the gap that would would see without it, the pattern is not perfect and truck carpeting is not the exact same on every truck.
10. Designed a pocket edge for hinges using a CAD, program. I had them 3D printed to finish off the look.

You have many options after you create the main piece. Paint the edges, use iron strips for edges, surface mount thin stainless or painted strips, painted wood or router in different wood and then stain!.
Once the cargo cover is removed and this floor drops in easily in one piece with assistance at an angle - dropping it in and down towards tailgate and then lowering the front edge.

EDIT, I added last picture late. It belongs as picture #3, test fitting the chip board before using it as a pattern to cut oak plywood.
I also laid out the strips, I purchased 6 but liked the look of 5 better. That way one in center and two on each side, additionally more wood exposed, less distraction from wood. This picture shows 6 laying on top so you can compare to 5 in the other picture.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,633 Posts
:rolleyes:
Let me state the (obvious), going with a beautiful wooden cargo deck will surely enhance the look of your back end of your SSR ride. At the same time, it will create a large pain in the azz, if indeed you ever want to carry cargo in that space.
With a neatly finished wooden flooring, you would need to ensure a carpet covering or such to avoid goughes/scratches, etc. My sliding a full golf bag into mine is on fully carpeted interior in the cargo space.
So, bottom line is if that is what floats your boat for looks, go for it. Just remember it won't continue to look like new if you don't prepare everytime you want to carry cargo back there.:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts