Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Work of Art only experienced by a handful

Today I realized for the first time something that I might not have realized when I purchased the SSR. And, that is that this car is a phenomena. It has the beauty and grace of the old hand built custom coaches in the late 20's and 30's that lives on up until today. While driving today on an old country road on my way to visit friends in a neighboring town, I realized as I past all the other cars on the road, that this SSR is truly a work of art, and that not many are around. We past a few Vettes on the way, and many other types of cars, but NO SSR's, or anything that would turn a head. Sure a Lamborghini or Ferrari would definitely turn heads, but I didn't see any of them on the road either. Even if I did, you know the driver of either of those exotic cars, would have to look at the SSR, even though it's not in the same class.

As my wife and I drove, listening to a CD of Tracy Chapman, we really noticed the effort that went into the architecture and design of this car. No way is it gaudy, but simply laid out to be elegant, tasteful and unique. The trim in the interior of this car, not only says that it's American made, but shows and represents America at it's finest when it comes to auto making. I have driven many exotics, but there is something about this SSR, that makes this particular vehicle extremly special, from it's cozy interior to it's half moon door handles, it exudes personality that can't be denied. It's not a truck, it's not a car, it's not a sports car, or SUV, and it certainly isn't your typical Chevrolet...in fact, it's not your typical anything. The only thing I can say about this vehicle, is that it's a work of art on wheels. The way some people look at it and their reactions and comments, makes you feel as if it is a museum piece, always being critiqued and analyzed. This really says something....the fact that it's worth the conversation.

I know that I said this before, but the SSR is like an aged bottle of wine. As it gets older it will be more appreciated and respected in the automobile circuit. In years to come, I definitely would put this car in a category with the Packard, Cords and Duesenbergs of yesteryear. It is definitely on its way to becoming an icon with devoted followers and a timeless appeal that is experienced right now only by Corvette owners. :flag

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Well Said

:agree Well said :thumbs

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
I feel the same way. You expressed my feelings very well.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Ditto on the opinion...

I USED to hate to wash my vehicles - the SSR changed that!!!

Something about running that soapy mitt over her curves...
(...about the ride. Not Tracy Chapman) :lol

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
:agree Very well said. That is how I feel about the SSR's also.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Total Perfection

When I saw my first SSR, I knew I really loved it. I have never had that reaction to any other vechicle in my life (except maybe for my best friend's red 57 Chevy that she had when we were in high school.) It is perfect..... I know alot of you guys do all the mods and changes, but when I look at "Betsy Blue" I only see perfection, not the rock chips or anything else like that. I guess that must be love ! :angel

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kwhopper89 said:
Ditto on the opinion...

I USED to hate to wash my vehicles - the SSR changed that!!!

Something about running that soapy mitt over her curves...
(...about the ride. Not Tracy Chapman) :lol
I guess her song "Talking About a Revolution" seems to go with the SSR Revolution. Maybe we should make it the SSR theme song. :ssr :thumbs :flag

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, grammatically speaking, the SSR would be a "phenomenon," not a phenomena, unless considered in terms of more than one of them, but it's a nice sentiment, nevertheless.

I wouldn't go nearly so far to call it "America at it's [sic] finest when it comes to automaking," either, particularly regarding the interior. As my wife and I drove our '05 through the Texas hill country this weekend, it was more than comfortable with the top and windows down, and without A/C, except for our legs (in shorts) sticking to the vinyl-clad "wings" of the supposedly leather-covered "seating surfaces." To cheap-out on the leather outlay in a vehicle of this price is shameful. To have the seats yanked out and the vinyl "seating surfaces" on them recovered in matching leather is the only modification we've considered so far.

Still, I can appreciate Father Larry's sentiments, and I do share them, if not to nearly the same degree. One of our other vehicles is a 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 320 Special Edition, and though it's also a two-seater, hardtop/convertible, the SSR is still the weekend ride of choice. Maybe it's because it's still so new; time will tell. (Now, the SSR could take a lesson or two from the SLK's interior, which is considered "cheap" by Mercedes standards, since both vehicles are in the same price range.)

And on the subject of Tracy Chapman, she isn't a bad listen, so long as you ignore the lyrics...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
JAustin said:
Well, grammatically speaking, the SSR would be a "phenomenon," not a phenomena, unless considered in terms of more than one of them, but it's a nice sentiment, nevertheless.

I wouldn't go nearly so far to call it "America at it's [sic] finest when it comes to automaking," either, particularly regarding the interior. As my wife and I drove our '05 through the Texas hill country this weekend, it was more than comfortable with the top and windows down, and without A/C, except for our legs (in shorts) sticking to the vinyl-clad "wings" of the supposedly leather-covered "seating surfaces." To cheap-out on the leather outlay in a vehicle of this price is shameful. To have the seats yanked out and the vinyl "seating surfaces" on them recovered in matching leather is the only modification we've considered so far.

Still, I can appreciate Father Larry's sentiments, and I do share them, if not to nearly the same degree. One of our other vehicles is a 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 320 Special Edition, and though it's also a two-seater, hardtop/convertible, the SSR is still the weekend ride of choice. Maybe it's because it's still so new; time will tell. (Now, the SSR could take a lesson or two from the SLK's interior, which is considered "cheap" by Mercedes standards, since both vehicles are in the same price range.)

And on the subject of Tracy Chapman, she isn't a bad listen, so long as you ignore the lyrics...
Well, I wouldn't consider only "my" SSR a phenomenon. Obviously, there are more SSR's than just mine in existence, so I feel that "phenomena" would be correct to include everyone's SSR. But frankly, who cares. If you needed to take a poke at it, it's no problem. Seems everyone else understood it.

As far as the SSR being "America at it's finest" in automaking, it's a perfect example of an American automaker, trying to exceed the limits of today's designs...we're not talking about quality and workmanship, we're talking about design. They are two different things. I owned and restored a 1965 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud, which was at that time a hand built, hand painted piece of machinery which was the personification of quality to many. To me and others, that are in the automobile business, we wouldn't give you 2 cents for that car. It had a 1956 Oldsmobile Hydromatic transmission, chain operated windows and the worst leather hide for seats that you could ever imagine. In order to replace any of the wood that was on the dash, they had to go to the original tree that the wood dash was made from, if a customer needed to replace it, so it would be the same grain. Well, if you like to fall into that type of marketing strategy, then so be it. I also owned one of the last of the hand made Mercedes, a 1971 280 SE, 2.5 Convertible, and I wouldn't give you 2 cents for that car either. But that's not what we're talking about here with the SSR. What I'm talking about, and what many others on this site seemed to understand, is the whole concept of this vehicle. Concept is the key word. It has to do with the creativeness of a team of engineers and designers, made up of different nationalities (America), opposed to just one single race, (German, English, Italian). In this case it was GM. They put together a team to produce an automobile that would be like no other on the streets today. So, in your observant reading, where you were critical of grammar, you missed the whole point, due to one dimensional thinking, not three dimensional thinking...but that's ok because not everyone is capable of that talent. It is a practiced skill, but only if you keep an opened mind.

As far as Tracy Chapman is concerned, the post was not about her music at all...it wasn't meant to be anything to get on the "subject of" and I think this is something else you missed in your quest for grammatical perfection. However, since you mentioned that you've ignored her lyrics, then again, my friend, I'm afraid that you're one dimensional side has gotten the best of you again. Tracy Chapman has had one thing going for her that a number of singer/songwriters lack: a major label. I don't think she would have attained that if the record label thought that her lyrics were going to be ignored. There's a loose quality to many of Chapman's lyrics...meaning that a number of things can be read into them (requires some three dimensional thinking) She expresses an openness to everything , whether it's good or bad. "Almost" evokes the spiritual longing familiar to anyone who's come very close, but still fell short, of attaining a dream, a goal, or a perfect relationship. But, then again, music is a very personal thing, and this isn't a "music forum".

Bottom line, my post was not about the SSR being a high quality automobile, because we all know it's shortcomings, but it's about American automaking in the sense of "creative design"..it's also not about my grammar, since this isn't a "grammar forum" either.

Sorry to have confused you. :) :flag

·
Registered
416 Posts
Gee, Larry, I don't know what I do to tee you off so much; must be my disagreeing with you, although I wrote that I agreed with you more than not ...

I love it when people with whose opinions you don't agree respond with "you don't understand" or "I must have confused you;" the implication being "you aren't smart enough to get my point."

Oh, well...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JAustin said:
Gee, Larry, I don't know what I do to tee you off so much; must be my disagreeing with you, although I wrote that I agreed with you more than not ...

I love it when people with whose opinions you don't agree respond with "you don't understand" or "I must have confused you;" the implication being "you aren't smart enough to get my point."

Oh, well...
This isn't a disagreement about whether or not the SSR is an American Icon. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. And, I am not tee'd off at all about that. I think your intent was to tee me off, by correcting my grammar in the first sentence, which is irrelevant to anything in this post. If you're going to be condescending to people, than you have to expect a reaction...don't you think? If you are going to dish it out, then you have to be able to take it. So don't play innocent now. :nono I was only stating how I felt that particular day and sharing a day's experience in the SSR. God Bless you...and hope there are no hard feelings.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I love the lines, there is not other vehicle out there with lines that make anyone and everyone stop to look. I also like Tracy Chapman, her lyrics have deep meanings and I think she has a great voice.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Tracy Chapman-revised version

Tracy Chapman –revised version –Give Me One Reason

Give Me One SSR

Give me one reason not to buy it - and I'll turn right back around
Because I don't want leave you on the lot
But you can’t make me change my mind
Baby I got your vin number and I know that you got mine
But you know that I can’t leave you, cuz I cruise to many times
You can call me SSR, you can call me anything
But you got call me (lucky)
Cuz I own an SSR

Because I don't want leave you lonely
But I can’t get you off my mind

I don't want no one to own you - they might take away my life

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hotrodgirl said:
Tracy Chapman –revised version –Give Me One Reason

Give Me One SSR

Because I don't want leave you on the lot
But you can’t make me change my mind
Baby I got your vin number and I know that you got mine
But you know that I can’t leave you, cuz I cruise to many times
You can call me SSR, you can call me anything
But you got call me (lucky)
Cuz I own an SSR

Because I don't want leave you lonely
But I can’t get you off my mind

That's great my wife and I :thumbs :) love it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts