Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Supercharged "Flaming Yellow Tweety"
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
They don't list any wheels for the SSR, but O.E. Wheel Distributors LLC has thousands of wheels including repro alloys for Chevy 6 bolt trucks and when you click on the wheel you like then click specs and you get wheel size(dia & width), offset, bolt pattern, hub size and back spacing. I got a set of 4 C6 ZR1 front Corvette rims for my '99 Z28 camaro, 17x9.5 & fit, finish & quality were spot on. You may find something you like that will fit! Stock rims on the Z28 were 16x8 & with the SS option they went to 17x9. Happy hunting.
Tuckerred1948
Thanketh Youse!

·
Registered
2005 Supercharged "Flaming Yellow Tweety"
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Looking for this type of rims. This is my S10 "Xtreme Dreme" I built several years ago but I can't remember the name or brand and haven't had any luck locating them.
I kinda remember they were something like American II but that search has gotten me anything.
Anybody know or have them or something like them on their R?
Thanks,
Ayesijuan

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Sorry for the poor picture quality, CCW, 6-lug off-set, 19" front and 20"rear - not sure on the history as these were
on "Ole Psycho" when purchased.
That is a great looking wheel. Very clean open spokes. I like that they didn't mess them up with the fake allen bolts on the outer edge of the faces. The only flaw I see is that they had the valve stems mounted on the front of the wheel, instead of on the rear part of the barrell.

I had these custom built by Colorado Custom back in 2005. Had them on my yellow 03, then on my 06. Had the valve stems mounted on the inner flat surface. That was a mistake - should have had them mounted on the rear forward angled surface instead. They are hard to get to to air up, if the valve stems line up with the brake calipers, especially on the front wheels.

I'm a big fan of 5 spokes, even with the 6 bolt pattern. That really limits availability. I don't like the look of the old style wheels like the Cragar SS or American Eagle in a 6 spoke.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
That is a great looking wheel. Very clean open spokes. I like that they didn't mess them up with the fake allen bolts on the outer edge of the faces. The only flaw I see is that they had the valve stems mounted on the front of the wheel, instead of on the rear part of the barrell.

I had these custom built by Colorado Custom back in 2005. Had them on my yellow 03, then on my 06. Had the valve stems mounted on the inner flat surface. That was a mistake - should have had them mounted on the rear forward angled surface instead. They are hard to get to to air up, if the valve stems line up with the brake calipers, especially on the front wheels.

I'm a big fan of 5 spokes, even with the 6 bolt pattern. That really limits availability. I don't like the look of the old style wheels like the Cragar SS or American Eagle in a 6 spoke.
Clean look, I am with you, valve stem interferes with the look. Also, have not yet figured out how to improve the balance weights - every time I have them force balanced, seems like the weights are in the open area and look terrible - like the look of your custom spoke, both give a nice clean, but different look from the OEM. Q:are the bolts one solid chrome bolt or do they have chrome covers over the bolt? Mine have these cheap metal covers that are placed over the bolt, would like to convert to a clean, solid chrome.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Clean look, I am with you, valve stem interferes with the look. Also, have not yet figured out how to improve the balance weights - every time I have them force balanced, seems like the weights are in the open area and look terrible - like the look of your custom spoke, both give a nice clean, but different look from the OEM. Q:are the bolts one solid chrome bolt or do they have chrome covers over the bolt? Mine have these cheap metal covers that are placed over the bolt, would like to convert to a clean, solid chrome.
My nuts (actually, my wheel nuts) are solid chrome. The factory nuts on my wife's Caddy SRX are the cheap ones with metal covers. Switched hers to solid chrome nuts as well. You should be able to find the correct nuts at any decent tire shop. If you look closely, you will note that one of the nuts is slightly undersized. Those are lock nuts, with the outside ribs of the nuts carrying the special layout. I always carry the tool in the center console, because the company had several different rib layouts..

The biggest improvement with the aftermarket wheels was the noticeable difference in offset between fronts and rears. It really enhances the big/little look. I've always felt that even though GM really pushed the bit little hot rod look for the SSR, they didn't follow through with a properly designed wheel. If they had used the same spokes on the fronts and rears, the rear barrels would have been enhanced by showing a much deeper lip than the fronts, and that would have totally changed the appearance of the SSR. By flaring the rear spokes to the outside edge of the wheels, they managed to hide the fact the rear wheels were 2" wider. That was a total fail in my eyes.

I think they also failed by making the hubs so big, hiding the brake system, which can look pretty good if properly detailed.

As factory wheels go, the SSR wheel is actually pretty decent, but it could have been sooooo much better if they had involved some aftermarket consultants.

The wheel that was intended to be on the 2007 SSR was a great improvement over the 2003 design, but it still fell short of what it could have been. GM still flared out the rear spokes, hiding the extra width of the rear wheels.

Here's a link to the 2007 information.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Thanks for the great info - I too have always wondered about the lack of rear flare - and, as you mention, the OEM hide one of the key attractions of wheels with spokes - a good looking set of calibers and ss brake disc. Unfortunately, what you cannot see on mine are numerous scratches and some discoloration. I tried to polish, without much success, so finally broke down and am using a professional next week, hopefully they will look brand new when he finishes..

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Are the wheels polished, or clearcoated? If your clotth and hands turn black when using metal polish, the wheels dont have a coating on them. You can do wonders with fine grit wet dry sandpaper, followed by Autosol metal polish.

I gained the upper hand a few years ago when I purchased a 2" random orbital air sander/polisher. I have a 90 gallon air compressor, so really solid air supply. Not sure how well it would work with a small portable compressor.

I used it a lot to polish the wheels and under the hood of my truck, with great success. I really put it to the test over the winter. One of my clearcoated 22" crewcab wheels had been oversprayed when the dealership was repairing a minor hit and run, and I could NOT get the oversray to come off. The wheel got really blotchy looking. The tires were done, so while I had the wheels off for the winter, I was able to sand off the clearcoat using 400, 800 and 2000 grit velcro sanding disks, then did the polishing. The wheels turned out great.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Are the wheels polished, or clearcoated? If your clotth and hands turn black when using metal polish, the wheels dont have a coating on them. You can do wonders with fine grit wet dry sandpaper, followed by Autosol metal polish.

I gained the upper hand a few years ago when I purchased a 2" random orbital air sander/polisher. I have a 90 gallon air compressor, so really solid air supply. Not sure how well it would work with a small portable compressor.

I used it a lot to polish the wheels and under the hood of my truck, with great success. I really put it to the test over the winter. One of my clearcoated 22" crewcab wheels had been oversprayed when the dealership was repairing a minor hit and run, and I could NOT get the oversray to come off. The wheel got really blotchy looking. The tires were done, so while I had the wheels off for the winter, I was able to sand off the clearcoat using 400, 800 and 2000 grit velcro sanding disks, then did the polishing. The wheels turned out great.
Once again, I appreciate the information, that is one polish I have yet to use, will give it try before I spend the $$ on the professional...

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Once again, I appreciate the information, that is one polish I have yet to use, will give it try before I spend the $$ on the professional...
If you have scratches to deal with, try some wet/dry sandpaper first. I would try 800 grit first if scratches are significant, then 1200, then finish it with 2000 grit. You will have a dull but smooth surface that will polish up very easily. If scratching is minor, skip the 800, and go straight to the 1200. Experiment a bit, and you will become an expert very quickly. Also, remove the center caps first so you don't scratch them while you work on the wheels. Some caps are billet aluminum, but others are chrome plated plastic.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
544 Posts
Here are some different "looks" I've tried to the stock SSR wheels. I like their looks but thought they needed some "improvement." I finally realized was that I didn't care for the chrome center hub. So... Blackening made all the difference. I think it makes the wheel look "lighter," more trim.

But beauty in the eye of the holder.

I'm now trying to determine what the R would look like with full aluminum moon racing disks. The R's lines are so smooth and rounded that I'm curious what slightly curved, smooth disks would look like (aside from the fact that I don't think they come in 19" and 20" sizes and would have "grippers" that would scratch the wheel's chrome).

And I'd like to know what deep dish chrome, reversed steel wheels, ala '50s style, would look like.

As many of previous posts show, there are many styles and looks that are appealing.

Blackened hub with different center caps:

Before blackening the outer center hub:

After blackening the outer center hub:

Before blackening the outer center hub:

After blackening the outer center hub:

Some others "looks" with the standard wheel with a blackened hub (lugs need to be 2 1/2" long):

Custom wheel at Branson with long lugs:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Flassh's wheels are truly amazing. Would love to have a set made if I had the $$. Like the 5 spoke look on any vehicle. Ray are there any other ones like yours in existence or are yours "one off"?

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,157 Posts
Did it myself with brushed on enamel. A few brush marks but unless you lay on the ground and stick your face right in there they look perfect.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I had my barrels powdercoated at a local shop. Much more durable than paint and easy to clean/polish.

Before I powdercoated my barrels, I had stripped off the factory gray barrel paint. The wheels are fully chromed under that paint, although of varying quality. It still looked better than the horrible stock gray paint, however.

I then had mine powdercoated transparent blue over the chrome with some sparkle metal flake added. You can still see the chrome deep underneath. I used to hate the stock rims when the SSR first came out (too 1990s Plymouth Prowler-y) but I really like them with color-matched barrels and bowties.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Flassh's wheels are truly amazing. Would love to have a set made if I had the $$. Like the 5 spoke look on any vehicle. Ray are there any other ones like yours in existence or are yours "one off"?
Sorry about the delay - didn't recheck this thread till now.

I was at SEMA 2004, and found a wheel design I really liked at Colorado Custom. Talked to them at the show, and followed up a few weeks later. The Merino prototype was a 5 bolt design, and it took some convincing and some compromising to have them re-design it to work on a 6 bolt hub, especially dealing with two different wheel sizes and depths.

They agreed to build them at regular production costs, rather than the much higher price of a one-off set, if I sent them back photos so they could add them to their printed catalogue and their online site. I sent the photos, first of the yellow 03, then the 06, but they didn't follow through at their end. As far as I know, this is the only set ever produced.

First photos is of the show prototype, which also never went into production, even in a 5 bolt configuration. I also made things more complicated by insisting on the rolled lip, rather than the standard lip on the prototype.

Next photos are of the finished product, front and rear. I wanted a smaller hub, which I think would have looked better, but that was the compromise I had to make to get the wheels. I was able to get the rolled lip which looks better, no?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Very nice. I might consider the Merino. But, I got distracted by your photo ---- where did you get the rear "bumper" bar?

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Very nice. I might consider the Merino. But, I got distracted by your photo ---- where did you get the rear "bumper" bar?

I had those built several years ago by a Fanatic from Lake Havasu. He stopped building them, and Floyd in Tennessee was making a similar product. When Floyd died, I think Mike in AZ got the patterns, and might be looking at getting them back into production. You'd have to check with Mike to confirm that.

There was also a front bar - just to tease you a bit more. I have since added a front spoiler. I'll try to find a photo of the front bar going through the spoiler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Yep, you have ESP. I was going to ask about a front version, but posted the reply anyway. My R is asphalt and I have blacked out everything above the rims. So, these might fit very well into my scheme. I'll PM Mike in AZ and see if he has any ideas. Please send me a photo when you have a moment with the front chin spoiler --- I'm waiting to see when that will become available. Thanks, again.

Ed (Pony Soldier)
909-208-9418

41 - 60 of 85 Posts