Chevy SSR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Yep, you have ESP. I was going to ask about a front version, but posted the reply anyway. My R is asphalt and I have blacked out everything above the rims. So, these might fit very well into my scheme. I'll PM Mike in AZ and see if he has any ideas. Please send me a photo when you have a moment with the front chin spoiler --- I'm waiting to see when that will become available. Thanks, again.

Ed (Pony Soldier)
909-208-9418

Probably have better photos somewhere, but this gives you the idea. In order to be able to work both in, I had the front bars cut and sleeved behind the grille, and cut holes in the front spoiler to reinstall the nerf bar.

I also attached a better shot of the rear bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
544 Posts
...I also made things more complicated by insisting on the rolled lip, rather than the standard lip on the prototype.
...I wanted a smaller hub, which I think would have looked better... I was able to get the rolled lip which looks better, no?
How much smaller hub would you have wanted? Is there a point small becomes too small? My issue with the OEM wheels (I like the look of the split 5-spokes) is the size of the center hub. So I blacked it out, including the area where the lugs are. Much better, in my humble opinion (of which I'm so very, very proud). :rolleyes:

Gee, rolled lip verses standard lip. I never would have thought of that. Is it that it has a much smoother look? Which it certainly does. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Sorry about the delay - didn't recheck this thread till now.

I was at SEMA 2004, and found a wheel design I really liked at Colorado Custom. Talked to them at the show, and followed up a few weeks later. The Merino prototype was a 5 bolt design, and it took some convincing and some compromising to have them re-design it to work on a 6 bolt hub, especially dealing with two different wheel sizes and depths.

They agreed to build them at regular production costs, rather than the much higher price of a one-off set, if I sent them back photos so they could add them to their printed catalogue and their online site. I sent the photos, first of the yellow 03, then the 06, but they didn't follow through at their end. As far as I know, this is the only set ever produced.

First photos is of the show prototype, which also never went into production, even in a 5 bolt configuration. I also made things more complicated by insisting on the rolled lip, rather than the standard lip on the prototype.

Next photos are of the finished product, front and rear. I wanted a smaller hub, which I think would have looked better, but that was the compromise I had to make to get the wheels. I was able to get the rolled lip which looks better, no?
Yes the rolled lip was a good choice. Pictures do not do your wheels justice!!

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
How much smaller hub would you have wanted? Is there a point small becomes too small? My issue with the OEM wheels (I like the look of the split 5-spokes) is the size of the center hub. So I blacked it out, including the area where the lugs are. Much better, in my humble opinion (of which I'm so very, very proud). :rolleyes:

Gee, rolled lip verses standard lip. I never would have thought of that. Is it that it has a much smoother look? Which it certainly does. :unsure:
The hub situation was actually more complicated than I explained it. I wanted them to build the same spokes as on the 5 bolt design, and cut the 6 bolts wherever they hit, including through a spoke. They refused to do that, because it would look unbalanced, and not up to their standards, even though many other manufacturers including Foose did cut their wheels that way.

I then wanted them to decrease the size of the hub as they had drawn it, and flatten it so it would be closer to the shape of the prototype design, which would then show a bit more of the spoke shape as it curved inward. That was a no-go also.

The unfortunate thing about the hub was that it masked the rather noticeable contour of spokes. Now that I've explained it, you can probably see how different the hub portion of the prototype looks, and how the recessed hub enhances the spoke shape.

I never covered the cost of the wheels. Fronts were about $750, rears about $950, so about $3400 for the set. The sales department said I got a great deal. A set of one-offs would have been $10k plus because of the computer design time, which was mostly covered as part of the prototype design. All I was changing was the hub shape.. Seeing as they never made the wheels available to others, I guess I can claim they are an exclusive wheel.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,987 Posts
The hub situation was actually more complicated than I explained it. I wanted them to build the same spokes as on the 5 bolt design, and cut the 6 bolts wherever they hit, including through a spoke. They refused to do that, because it would look unbalanced, and not up to their standards, even though many other manufacturers including Foose did cut their wheels that way.

I then wanted them to decrease the size of the hub as they had drawn it, and flatten it so it would be closer to the shape of the prorotype design, which would then show a bit more of the spoke shape as it curved inward. That was a no-go also.

The unfortunate thing about the hub was that it masked the rather noticeable contour of spokes. Now that I've explained it, you can probably see how different the hub portion of the prototype looks, and how the recessed hub enhances the spoke shape.

I never covered the cost of the wheels. Fronts were about $750, rears about $950, so about $3400 for the set. The sales department said I got a great deal. A set of one-offs would have been $10k plus because of the computer design time, which was mostly covered as part of the prototype design. All I was changing was the hub shape.. Seeing as they never made the wheels available to others, I guess I can claim they are an exclusive wheel.
But if you had paid for a one Off and they decided to make it because of demand would you get a refund? I doubt it!

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
But if you had paid for a one Off and they decided to make it because of demand would you get a refund? I doubt it!
There's no way upper management would have approved a 10k budget, so I wouldn't have paid the price to be in that exclusive club. Actually, come to think of it, upper management didn't approve this project either. She's never asked how much they cost, and I haven't volunteered the info.😉

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,987 Posts
There's no way upper management would have approved a 10k budget, so I wouldn't have paid the price to be in that exclusive club. Actually, come to think of it, upper management didn't approve this project either. She's never asked how much they cost, and I haven't volunteered the info.😉
SSSSHHHHHH!

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
544 Posts
I'm now trying to determine what the R would look like with full aluminum moon racing disks. The R's lines are so smooth and rounded that I'm curious what slightly curved, smooth disks would look like ....
After blackening the outer center hub:
I finally found some full moon disks to try it out.

Whaddaya think? Before (above in the quote) and after (below).

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,157 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Uhhhh.........NO. I like the look of the blackened hub and spoke centers on the stock wheels. I don't know how you would keep those caps on without scratching the sheels. They're not quite as forgiving as the old style steel wheels.

·
Registered
522 Posts
They take me back to the Salt Flat Racer articles I read in my youth like 53 Studey racer that was in a glass room during my college days. And I do have a pair hanging in my garage, the other two were lost on a muddy rutted construction zone I stumbled into.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
544 Posts
The word different is being polite.
Let me answer the question that all y'all are too polite to ask. :rolleyes:

What do I think of them? :unsure:

As they are, there's too much silver; it overwhelms the look of the truck. Maybe if the wheels were 16" so there's a much larger black sidewall and a smaller disk. Then they would look more like the salt flat racer disks and blend better. :)

There's lots of cool looking wheels that many trucks are wearing. :cool:

But...

...I still prefer the standard SSR wheels with blacked out center and outer hubs. I've tried different kinds of center caps and like the bullets the best. I also like the deep dish offset of the rear wheels and would like the front to have more of a deep dish look. But that ain't the way it is. ;)

61 - 80 of 85 Posts