Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is WOW, There are so many good ideas and mods on here, its incredible!
After reading the forum threads almost constantly since I bought "Hotrod" I have decided to start with suspension and frame mods first.

Although I am years behind most of you here, I am learning so much from you guys!

Purchased for install:
Simple engineering
-Radiator Fan Updated
-Steel lower rad support
-ABS heat shield
-LC32 Frame X member kit
-Stiffening plate
-Ignition Switch
-4 bolt rear cross member
Those parts are in transit to the car now.

This winter I am going to upgrade the radio to a nav system double din with sirius Xm and bluetooth
New white face plate for my gauges and new stepper motors and blue leds.
After that, maybe a triple gauge pillar mount from Dave in Az, who I contacted today.
The possibilities are endless!
once again, this forum and its members have supplied volumes of info, and as a new owner, I am like a kid in a candy store.
More to follow!

·
Super Moderator
13,935 Posts
Pretty cool - you are installing a bunch of great stuff.
Is your SSR in Alaska or OH?

·
Registered
245 Posts
All I can say is WOW, There are so many good ideas and mods on here, its incredible!
After reading the forum threads almost constantly since I bought "Hotrod" I have decided to start with suspension and frame mods first.

Although I am years behind most of you here, I am learning so much from you guys!

Purchased for install:
Simple engineering
-Radiator Fan Updated
-Steel lower rad support
-ABS heat shield
-LC32 Frame X member kit
-Stiffening plate
-Ignition Switch
-4 bolt rear cross member
Those parts are in transit to the car now.

This winter I am going to upgrade the radio to a nav system double din with sirius Xm and bluetooth
New white face plate for my gauges and new stepper motors and blue leds.
After that, maybe a triple gauge pillar mount from Dave in Az, who I contacted today.
The possibilities are endless!
once again, this forum and its members have supplied volumes of info, and as a new owner, I am like a kid in a candy store.
More to follow!
Though not as flush with disposable income as some and purchases for my "R" being about double living in Canada, I too have been astonished at the knowledge and encouragement from other members on this forum. Having learned years ago that you first improve the chassis for handling and any power improvements, I have taken the most bang for the buck approach and doing as much myself as possible. I find I have to keep reminding myself... it's not a race, I'm enjoying the steps I'm taking and absorbing all the knowledge that comes with asking questions and assessing suggestions. I'm having as much fun as I can stand. As long as I can steadily move forward with my project I'll get it where it needs to be. Happy for your enthusiasm... Clivey

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
It is my understanding that the LC32 'crossmember' is used primarily to accommodate the use of a Corvette oil pan on the engine.

If you are not intending to change to a Corvette oil pan, suggest that you delete the purchase of the LC32 unit and ONLY use Mike's stiffening plate for stiffening up the front of your SSR. Of course use the steel lower rad support as well to help tie the front end structure together more solidly.

All your other choices look well thought out and are in fact the mod's done to my ride.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am a new R owner and I plan on installing most of the same mods as you are from SE. I have an order on its way as we speak too.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Though not as flush with disposable income as some and purchases for my "R" being about double living in Canada, I too have been astonished at the knowledge and encouragement from other members on this forum. Clivey
Sounds to me like it would behoove you save up and buy everything you want by making a trip down to the states. If you don't have the time/money to go all the way to AZ, have them shipped to a member close to the border and pick them up there. We have members in the northwest who I'm sure would help you out.

VI Ken is right about the LC32 crossmember is to enable changing to the Corvette pan.

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
So here’s my .02
When I bought my SSR it was the hot rod / daily driver of my dreams . So I added all of mikes stuff , all quality pieces . I did as many of the installs as I could myself , and mikes install instructions where spot on . Many of these add ons nobody will ever see but me , I did it for me, myself and I only . If money is a deciding factor then start with the upgrades that give you the most bang for your buck ! Rad fan , rad support, stiffening plate , 4 bolt frame rail are all a good starting point.
I’m sorry that all my Canadian brothers and sisters have to pay extra for import fees too improve and upgrade their SSR .

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
It is my understanding that the LC32 'crossmember' is used primarily to accommodate the use of a Corvette oil pan on the engine.

If you are not intending to change to a Corvette oil pan, suggest that you delete the purchase of the LC32 unit and ONLY use Mike's stiffening plate for stiffening up the front of your SSR. Of course use the steel lower rad support as well to help tie the front end structure together more solidly.

All your other choices look well thought out and are in fact the mod's done to my ride.
From the LC 32 website, they don't even mention the C-6 oilpan in the description, however you do need their crossmember to make that conversion.

The Crossmember kit is for the SSR and TBSS both 2WD and AWD. These will replace the existing crossmembers under the oil pan. This crossmember kit helps to strengthen the front frame section that the lower control arms are attached to.

I have both SE's Plate and LC 32's cross member and would say that its a 60-40 split between the two as far as stiffening the body and suspension. Either works but combined they work better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not currently planning to install the corvette oil pan, but maybe in the future. I agree that the frame stiffener may be enough as is, Im going to be "there" any way.
As a mechanic for 30+ years, If I can see it, touch it, and remove it, while I'm changing something next to it, I am going to try and change that piece also.
I cant tell you how many clutches we replaced and the customers refused to change the slave cylinder while we were there, only to have it leak in 6 months, and need to be ripped down again. my 2 cents.

The truck is based in Ohio in my sisters garage for the winter, as the long as the Alaska winters are up here, I will not get a a long driving season in Fairbanks.
I work 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off, with plenty of time to spend working on my new love!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts