8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this off of the Corvette forum...
thought you might enjoy looking at the next BAD BOY... 500+ HP :thumbs

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Z

Did you catch those rear tires hiding under the extra wide wheel flares? Need that serious rubber to put the 575 HP to the road. Also the front and rear air ducts...takes some special brakes to stop it too.......

:flag

I hope Chevy keeps the rumored SSR "Z" for 2007. I have been on my dealers list since I heard about it. Supposed to be a 500 unit liimited run with the same power of the Z06. Eight cylinders with more power that 10.

Can you say... bye bye HEMI

:flag :flag :flag

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
Ssr Z

Hey, Jim

Where can we see any rumours or info on the 07? - Definitely want to follow up on that. I hoped GM might finish the SSR run with a special edition, but this is the first mention of any juicy stuff. Hope it's for real - I decided to hang on to the 03 until the last production year, then go for broke on the last of the greatest toy ever.

Ray

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 2003 Z06 and have been watching the Z06 forum and hearing all the rumors about the new Z06 and am waiting to see it. I will probably wait until the second year and then get one. Right now I am looking at a Blue 2005 SSR at a dealer and they have two of them and I had them talked down to $1000 below their invoice but was hoping to get them even lower. I had heard nothing about a SSR "Z". Maybe I should wait to see that car, as right now I have a Ram SRT-10 and my woman is saying she does not want me to get an SSR. She says it is too much money and retro looking or trendy and might not be all that hot in a few years. I am hoping in a few weeks GM will put out some incentives for the SSR.

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
Marc, more feedback for GM

I haven't seen or heard anything new about a Z version SSR, but I'm watching for it.

I'm first in line at my dealer if anything like it becomes available. No reason it couldn't be built - the block has the same footprint as the 5.3 and 6 l engines.

My biggest fear, as indicated in another thread, is that GM would build a limited number. That would put us at the mercy of the greedy, gouging dealers again, and the very people who have been first in line to get SSRs on the street would take it in the shorts again.

My very helpful and fair small town dealer probably wouldn't get a shot at one, and I'd be out there fighting it out with my fellow Fanatics to try to land one. Doesn't make sense, and it creates the same love/hate relationships we saw last fall - "I love my truck, but I know I got bent over, and I'm not happy about it."

If GM has a marketplace for 1000 - 1500 units, why limit it to 500 and create a nightmare for themselves and the loyal buyers, and a free run for unethical dealers???

GM needs to deliver as many SSRs as possible to amortize its design, engineering and marketing costs, and they're way off schedule. The original intent was a 75000 unit run - why would they limit production of the very unit that could get them out of the doldrums they're in now with the SSR??

On another minor rant - this is a retro vehicle, right?? Why in the world would they put a 7 litre engine in the Z06, and possibly a high performance SSR. :banghead 7 l is 427.167 Cubic inches!!!!!.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in my books, a "427" carries a lot more impact than a 7 l, and that number has become legendary in GM high performance history.

When I do a car show, and get asked the size of my motor, a 300 hp 5.3 means nothing, especially to the rodders, - so I usually refer to it as a 300 hp all aluminum 327 (5.3 is about 323.4 cubic inches.) No self-respecting gearhead ever quotes his hot rod engine size in litres!!!!

Ray

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dreams are alive at GM!

HI Ray,

You and others have raised some very interesting questions here. I am really not sure who might be able to share with me the future engines that might be available for the upcoming years of the SSR. However, I can a certainly ask a few friends of mine in various areas within GM to see what they might know or have heard.

There are many various reasons why GM does or does not bring to the market their concepts. Most of us know that in order for these concepts to actually materialize they must justify or carry a "strong" business case.

I remember driving a proto-type "454" Big Block with a racing 5 speed tranny code named "ZR-2" back around the summer of 92. It was around the same time frame the ZR-1 Corvettes were out. It was a bright orange convertible Vette. We drove it from Michigan to NY (and back) for our annual GM Powertrain Car Show. That Vette was sooooo awesome to drive! I had hoped that they would have come out with a limited version of the "ZR-2" but they never did (we had hoped for more business at our GM location here where we still make various versions of that Big Block).

As you can see GM does try out many different variations that make for some great concept vehicles however, I am sad to say many of them just never get the green light.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Marc NY said:
HI Ray,

You and others have raised some very interesting questions here. I am really not sure who might be able to share with me the future engines that might be available for the upcoming years of the SSR. However, I can a certainly ask a few friends of mine in various areas within GM to see what they might know or have heard.

There are many various reasons why GM does or does not bring to the market their concepts. Most of us know that in order for these concepts to actually materialize they must justify or carry a "strong" business case.

I remember driving a proto-type "454" Big Block with a racing 5 speed tranny code named "ZR-2" back around the summer of 92. It was around the same time frame the ZR-1 Corvettes were out. It was a bright orange convertible Vette. We drove it from Michigan to NY (and back) for our annual GM Powertrain Car Show. That Vette was sooooo awesome to drive! I had hoped that they would have come out with a limited version of the "ZR-2" but they never did (we had hoped for more business at our GM location here where we still make various versions of that Big Block).

As you can see GM does try out many different variations that make for some great concept vehicles however, I am sad to say many of them just never get the green light.

Hey Marc,

If I'm correct, didn't they then have to CRUSH the proto-types after the tour?
:cry

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Destroyed proto-types

Buffy said:
Hey Marc,

If I'm correct, didn't they then have to CRUSH the proto-types after the tour?
:cry
Yes John,

That is what I have heard also. Years ago those "one of a kind" proto-types vehicles where suppose to get destroyed or crushed however, as we all know, somehow some of those vehicles found there way out of the complex... :rolleyes: then to reappear years later. :confused GM is rightfully concerned that some of those proto-types might come back years later to haunt GM… i.e. in a lawsuit of one form or another. I am sure freezer would know a lot more details on this topic than I would.

It is possible that some prototype vehicles are placed into the PEP (product evaluation program) or GM Program cars… where some of those vehicles might never be released for sale. One good reason would be based on warranty issues that might turn out to be a huge headache for GM down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts