Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow SSR enthusiasts. Unfortunately, I'm on here to share news that my dad's 2003 yellow SSR has been wrecked (I hit a car that ran a red light). Because the parts are so scarce the insurance company is declaring the vehicle a total loss. I'm grieving because my father died 15 years ago this month and my mother gave me his truck.

I'm sharing here in case there is something that can be done once the insurance company takes it so that people who are searching for parts might be able to salvage some from dad's. The vehicle only has 30,000 miles on it and except for a glitchy driver's seat motor everything else worked well.

It's currently in Charlotte, NC and if anyone has any suggestions on how to get parts to people who need them, I'll do what I can.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,193 Posts
If the frame isn't bent, no major damage to the engine compartment, might be worth while to see about getting it back from the ins.company and fixing it. Used parts are available on ebay, and guys on here have parts for sale if your willing to take the time to look,. Doesn't look like any air bags were deployed which would be expensive and if drivetrain still good that's a plus. Would be a shame to lose your truck that has so much meaning to you and your family.
Check with Cleveland Performance Parts they always have SSR parts available.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would LOVE to get it fixed, but we can't get the hood up so have no idea if the frame is bent, or if there is any other damage. If I keep the vehicle, they deduct $6000 for salvage value from the settlement. I'm really afraid I won't be able to get it back to great condition for the amount of the settlement.

·
Slingshot Rules!
77,509 Posts

Po Little Slingshot Yellow SSR !

If anything that serious happened to The Doophus . . . I would insist on keeping "the remains" even if in a big barrel.

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
You asked if anyone needs parts and you could get them to them. Owners are always looking for parts, but here is my questions to you. Do you have a place to store it while you dismantle it? Every thing is not going to be gone in a few days. Do you have tools to dismantle it? Do you have access to a common carrier to ship the big things. It sounds easier than it is. I would fight with the insurance company, yours and his and get the highest settlement and look for another one if you are interested in another. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,193 Posts
Just looking at Kaminari's website Hood $1000, 4 pc grill parts $500 lower front facia $600 all would have to be painted. Just to give you an idea I'm sure there's a fender out there some place even if it had a few dings in it that could be fixed.. Looks like all your signal lights are good as well as your headlight another plus. Can't see driver's door to see if it has been sprung or damaged,. If it were me I'd check around first for parts, get a body shop guy to come out and give you an idea of cost before I would make a decision about having it totaled.Problem now a days is the insurance companies don't want to be bothered with fixing vehicles anymore so they just total everything.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,818 Posts
If you have a place to keep it I would as how much they are going to give you and how much they will give you if you keep it. I think sometimes they want to pay you and then get the salvage money so they come out ahead. Really a shame that they do not want to pay out to fix what you have been paying for for years.
Try telling them you want it fixed since that is what you have been paying for since it was purchased. Just throwing out ideas to see what they say and stall while looking for a better solution.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Hello fellow SSR enthusiasts. Unfortunately, I'm on here to share news that my dad's 2003 yellow SSR has been wrecked (I hit a car that ran a red light). Because the parts are so scarce the insurance company is declaring the vehicle a total loss. I'm grieving because my father died 15 years ago this month and my mother gave me his truck.

I'm sharing here in case there is something that can be done once the insurance company takes it so that people who are searching for parts might be able to salvage some from dad's. The vehicle only has 30,000 miles on it and except for a glitchy driver's seat motor everything else worked well.

It's currently in Charlotte, NC and if anyone has any suggestions on how to get parts to people who need them, I'll do what I can.

View attachment 591627 View attachment 591628
What state are you in there might be some SSR Fanatic's that could drop by and help you get the hood open and look the truck over.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,780 Posts
First I hope you are ok.

My first recommendation is for you to start searching for 2003 and 2004 SSRs for sale with similar miles. Print out what you can find. Use those as a guide for what the market value is on them. The insurance is going to go by book value and it is not always fair to what these trucks can actually sell for, so you have to do your home work. A quick check on line are showing quite a few in the high teens and low 20s.

You also need to know the differences in the options and how much that can add value or not.

Another thing is know up front most insurance companies will make a low ball offer the first and many times second offer. It is part of how they do business. Don't get mad and say you are going to sue just sit back and wait. Time if you can hold out works best for you.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts

View attachment 591627 View attachment 591628
I am interested in buying prior to the insurance company totaling your car. It will be repaired, not dismantled and sold for parts. I feel your pain, years ago I had an 05 SSR totaled with similar damage. If interested please call (941)345-6438, thank you.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,162 Posts
Time is on your side... Listen to the advise of these guys who have parts and experience. I battled the insurance company and came out well but my truck was indeed "Totaled"! Your truck certainly should never be out in the bone yard for parts! Hopefully you have not agreed to any terms till you hear from the Fanatic Family! Good Luck! 😉

1 - 20 of 34 Posts