Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my vehicle into the dealer for the last 9 days for some minor repairs including their free oil and filter change. (nothing in life is free) After returning home (16 miles) I notices that on the repair order the oil was charged out at $1.83 per quart. There is no Mobil 1 oil that I know of for that price. Also on the windshield they placed a sticker to remind me to change the oil in 3,000 miles. I called the dealer and they were not sure if they did or did't use Mobil 1.

Vehicle is going in for another oil change tomorrow. If the wrong oil was put in, can it do any damage and how does one get it out so that it will not contaminate the new Mobil 1????????? Also, what is the true life of Mobil 1?

Thanks,
bcbear
:nono :mad :nono :mad

·
Registered
54 Posts
Linkie

See

bobstheoilguy.com

It an addiction.....

But no, you should be fine as synthetics will mix with dino oils just fine. And as long as the viscosity is correct, the type of oil, in the short term, matters little.

regards,

Michael
efxguy
2004 Slingshot

·
Registered
63 Posts
synthetic oil is really designed for extreme temperatures --either low or high. Most people will never notice any difference. Normal dino oil can be changed about 6000 miles depending on driving conditions. It takes about 15 miles of freeway driving to properly warm the engine and burn off the accumulation of moisture,oil and fuel in the oil. With that said many people run synthetic 10000 miles or so. Some run it longer and change the filter only. I prefer to believe that with normal driving and synthetic about 6 to 8000 miles for both. Motordoctor

·
Registered
192 Posts
As mentioned above, assuming they put in something around the normal viscosity grade, you'll be fine. Dino oil and synthetic oil do mix well together, so don't worry about not getting every last drop of the dino oil out of the car before getting the right oil put in.

As for the life of the Mobil 1, the oil life monitor is your best bet. My wife's Chevy Trailblazer gets about 8-9k (I use the AMSOIL XL Synthetic 5w30 in her truck).

I recently read an article where GM said the average oil change interval using the oil life monitor is about 8,500 miles, so my wife's driving is average (not surprising). :cheers

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Howdy, Well our staff tribologists (all 3) state that there will be no harm done by the dino based lubricants. The Syn products are formulated to be compatible with "in-process" production dino lubricants. No one including GM used 100% Syn in the engine production process. Any residual dino oil will blend with the Syn and as the residual breaks down it will lose viscosity and drain out first. PS I work for an industrial speciality chemicals company and we make lubricant for "in-process" industrial applications.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Now I feel better. Heading out to the dealer again to get the oil changed.

What started out as a normal visit to the dealer has turned into a nightmare.

Like many others, a broken drivers side door handle started it all. While at the dealer for several other repairs because the service bay area is so small, the drivers side door was damaged and needs to go to the body shop. The next day I was informed that while on a road test the smelled something burning. Turns out they hit mu custom 5" exhaust tip and it was burning the rear fascia. That now also needs to be replaced along with the 5" tip. Truck was gone for 5 working days.

Time to look for a new service department--------- They are willing to make things right but who needs all this aggrivation?

Now I know why GM is having trouble. Worst part is that vehicle still has to return when the remainder of the needed parts arrive.

While at the body shop I will also have my new hood (see BobA post) from MPD1 painted and installed. Hood due at the end of this month. Can't wait!!!!!!!!

bcbear

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Danko said:
Sorry about the hassles but blaming GM is just plain wrong.

Just who would you blame? Door handles have been breaking for quite some time yet there are not parts available. Some people have waited weeks for a replacement.

My dealer told me that GM WILL NOT overnite SSR parts even for a vehicle down. The longer a vehicle sits at a dealer waiting for parts, the more chance there is for something like what happened to mine to happen.

bcbear

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
efxguy said:
See bobstheoilguy.com Its an addiction.....
Yes, it sure is!

Blast

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
What's with the lack of parts ? ? ? ?

bcbear10 said:
Just who would you blame? Door handles have been breaking for quite some time yet there are not parts available. Some people have waited weeks for a replacement.

My dealer told me that GM WILL NOT overnite SSR parts even for a vehicle down. The longer a vehicle sits at a dealer waiting for parts, the more chance there is for something like what happened to mine to happen.

bcbear

Just replaced my door handle today after a 3 MONTH wait for parts.

Previously while "waiting" for parts to replace or fix fan GM had to rent a car for me for 8 days. That just doesn't make sense. What's cheaper renting a car from Enterprise for 8 days or overnighting parts ?

Today when the service manager was setting me up to get the handle replaced (took all of an hour), because of this site I made it crystal clear to her that I didn't want to see any additional miles on my truck, didn't want the cargo bay opened (have a two slight dents in the top of the cargo bed from my last visit there), didn't want the top cycled, and I didn't want my SSR washed.

All in all, I was very pleased with their service I must say (and finally I don't have to run down the window to open the door, then run the window up again to lock her up while holding the door open). GAWD ! ! :cuss

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I would blame GM also.. Way to many things that was poorly QC'D.

Still waiting on my door handle. We are oing on week 3.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
overnight parts

The service manager that told someone GM would not overnight SSR parts is full
of it. If the part is out of stock, they cancel the overnight order. I run into this situation every day, so we check to see if they have the part first, then do a regular order and upgrade to what GM calls a spac case whhere they are supposed to resolve it withib 48 hours. Being an SSR part has nothing to do with it. :ssr :seeya

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gmpartsguy said:
The service manager that told someone GM would not overnight SSR parts is full
of it. If the part is out of stock, they cancel the overnight order. I run into this situation every day, so we check to see if they have the part first, then do a regular order and upgrade to what GM calls a spac case whhere they are supposed to resolve it withib 48 hours. Being an SSR part has nothing to do with it. :ssr :seeya
Thank you for the info. I will keep it in mind when they hand me that crap the next time. Still waiting for generator to stop engine wine and of all things, tape to stop the wheel caps from spinning.

To think I am in the process of ordering an 06 in addition to my 05. I would imagine they would take better care!

bcbear

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Adopted it from a previous owner in Siloam Springs, Ark. Since I purchased it, all I've had done is an oil change and replacement of the driver's side fender protecter (warranty). Huffines Chevrolet in Lewisville did it. They service my husband's Silverado and so far they have done well by us. :seeya

·
Registered
277 Posts
Synthetic Oil

I've been having my Chevrolet dealer servicing my SSR from day one. I've had the oil changed every 3000 miles. When I made my 6,350 mile round trip vacation recently I was going to have the oil changed in Ohio, but had only 2,500 miles on the oil and the oil life indicator was at 65% so I decided to wait till I got back home. When I took the SSR in for service the oil life was still at around 49% so I asked the service person just what it was representing since I could still drive another 5,000 miles? He gave me some really stupid answer and said the computer was actually calculating my driving habits. I then read the manual and the manual states that the oil usage is calculated on revolutions of the engine and temperature, which makes a lot more sense.
The real kicker was that when I had my SSR serviced this time they put synthetic oil in for the first time. I then asked why this was done and they said this engine should have synthetic oil. Of course I asked why it took 18,000 miles to finally install synthetic and they just said they didn't know how it was missed? I'm staying with synthetic oil, but will have the oil changed every 6000 miles so the cost will be the same and they assure me I'm well within the warranty range.
Speaking of warranty, I just received paperwork to buy an extended warranty from GM. I called GM and told them I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the SSR, but they had no record of it. Called my friendly dealer and they said it was an oversight and will send in the paperwork, 18 months late. Looks like a dealer is buying time with the money I gave them, everyone better look close at this issue, I'm sure other dealers are messing with this money.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
???????

I have been concerned with the oil issue for some time. My husband had the oil changed for me and they did not put in synthetic oil, but they did put in oil that met the requirements listed in the owner's manual. Since I'm almost ready for another oil change, I decided to inquire further. I sent an email to the Chevrolet customer assistance center. Their reply stated that there are two criteria for oil.
one, it must carry the API starburst symbol on the container and meet GM standard GM 6094M (nonsynthetic) and GM4718M (synthetic). As I am not a mechanic, I chose to follow their guidelines and hope it's correct.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts