Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEED A/C COMPRESSOR FOR 2005 MY COMPRESSOR IS EXTREMELY NOISEY .....THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP:liebe011::liebe011::liebe011:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
With the AC system it has to be pumped down and recharged when you change the compressor and some places will not want to put on parts unless they come from their supplier, also some require that you also get a new dryer and orifice with it. You might want to check with who ever you are going to have do the work before buying a compressor.

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the AC system it has to be pumped down and recharged when you change the compressor and some places will not want to put on parts unless they come from their supplier, also some require that you also get a new dryer and orifice with it. You might want to check with who ever you are going to have do the work before buying a compressor.
I HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO DO IT MYSELF I WANTED AN ORIGINAL COMPRESSOR BUT IT IS DISCONTINUED,I DON'T REALLY WANT TO CUT THE WIRE HARNESS TO ADAPT A DIFFERENT COMPRESSOR:banghead:banghead

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
I HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO DO IT MYSELF I WANTED AN ORIGINAL COMPRESSOR BUT IT IS DISCONTINUED,I DON'T REALLY WANT TO CUT THE WIRE HARNESS TO ADAPT A DIFFERENT COMPRESSOR:banghead:banghead
Do not know your skills or the availability of parts but, maybe you could make an adapter for the connector instead of cutting the harness. Just a thought.

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do not know your skills or the availability of parts but, maybe you could make an adapter for the connector instead of cutting the harness. Just a thought.
can i cut off the connector on the old compressor and solder it on to the new compressor??

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
can i cut off the connector on the old compressor and solder it on to the new compressor??
I would look around for a cable end version of the connector on the OEM compressor. Just thinking out loud.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,069 Posts
yes.

I am willing to bet that your bracket is broken. My compressor was making a lot of "rattling" noises that turned out to be the broken bracket. It is possible to replace the bracket with the compressor still attached to the lines, but you have to pull the water pump and do a lot of contortions with wrenches. I replaced my bracket and then re-attached the compressor without cracking open the Freon system. If I had to do it again, I would not do it that way..... a crap-load of work.

I recommend you also consider replacing the AC belt tensioner.... they get noisy with age.

Regards, my friend.

Mike

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes.

I am willing to bet that your bracket is broken. My compressor was making a lot of "rattling" noises that turned out to be the broken bracket. It is possible to replace the bracket with the compressor still attached to the lines, but you have to pull the water pump and do a lot of contortions with wrenches. I replaced my bracket and then re-attached the compressor without cracking open the Freon system. If I had to do it again, I would not do it that way..... a crap-load of work.

I recommend you also consider replacing the AC belt tensioner.... they get noisy with age.

Regards, my friend.

Mike
THANKS MIKE:thumbs:thumbs

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
need a/c compressor for 2005 my compressor is extremely noisey .....thank you for your help:liebe011::liebe011::liebe011:
bracket is good ,tensioner is good .a/c clutch noisy,turn a/c off no noise,is the clutch replaceable???

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
A/C Clutch Replacement

Jeff:

It's a pretty easy job to remove and replace the clutch and/or coil. I've done it with the compressor off the car. Once the center bolt is removed you can see that the clutch and the coil are held in place by retaining rings that can be removed with snap ring pliers, one for the clutch and one for the coil. There are a few videos on youtube showing the job on GM compressors.

I have heard of others who have done the job with the compressor in place. But doing this work on a bench is much easier than on the car based on the limited access and visibility to remove or insert the snap rings and snap ring pliers.

While the clutch is apart you can check the bearing to see if it turns freely without any noticeable noise or if it feels rough. On one truck I thought I needed a clutch because it was noisy with the A/C on, but it turned out to be a bad outer bearing, so I replaced just that part.

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jeff:

It's a pretty easy job to remove and replace the clutch and/or coil. I've done it with the compressor off the car. Once the center bolt is removed you can see that the clutch and the coil are held in place by retaining rings that can be removed with snap ring pliers, one for the clutch and one for the coil. There are a few videos on youtube showing the job on gm compressors.

I have heard of others who have done the job with the compressor in place. But doing this work on a bench is much easier than on the car based on the limited access and visibility to remove or insert the snap rings and snap ring pliers.

While the clutch is apart you can check the bearing to see if it turns freely without any noticeable noise or if it feels rough. On one truck i thought i needed a clutch because it was noisy with the a/c on, but it turned out to be a bad outer bearing, so i replaced just that part.
thanks dan,i'll take it out over the winter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts