Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to forum. Wanted 2005 or 2006 with less than 30K miles. Prefer one or two owner from private party. Will consider one from a dealer but must know history. Automatic transmission - wifey prefers to not drive a manual plus I am getting too old (but if you have a nice manual at the right price, I may consider). Color in order of preference: Silver, Blue, Red, or Yellow. Fully equipped with 1SB, 6CD BOSE, chrome wheels, wind screen, running boards, gauge package, and other options. Prefer stock vehicle with no mods, no accidents, no repaints. Send me a PM with detailed information, window sticker/list of options, maintenance history, pics, price, clear title, location, and contact info. I am located in OH but will travel for the right vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An update on my search. I did find a 2005 SSR close that I am considering at a local "used vehicle" dealer. The dealer does not have much history nor documentation. However, during my short time on this site I learned much but am somewhat discouraged with reliability and parts availability. And it seems any parts that are still available are "pricey". There is much technical knowledge on this site and congrats to those taking an interest in helping SSR owners. I know the SSR was a limited production vehicle but I am not a fan of "searching" for parts, especially when it concerns cost. I am an old fart and just want a vehicle to enjoy. I would prefer a 70s muscle car but that is another story for another day. At this time I am OUT OF THE MARKET. Good luck with your SSR and many happy and safe miles.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Sorry to hear you are leaving the market. It must seem from the many conversations you have read that SSRs are prone to break down. If you dont mind some advise... SSRs are used vehicles now 14-17 years old, depending. Any used car will be prone to repair at some point. Reality is most of us have no problems with our SSRs. Many are daily driven somethimes in excess of 100k miles with no problem other than normal maintence. Mine is a 2004. No problems whatsoever. You read about upgrading parts of the SSR. This is a personal choice. I'd venture to say most are driven as designed.
OTOH, having a 70's muscle car could be satisfying as well. However, sourcing parts and/or performing needed maintenance could be a challenge. In either case we are purchasing a used car.
Best of luck with your choice. The SSR is a one of a kind. Factory built hot rod with style - a roadster at that - attention-getter wherever you travel and a cool convertible top to boot...

·
Premium Member
6,889 Posts
Doesn't sound like you was really very interested in the first place. What I got out of your first post is you wanted a "like new" SSR, but you don't realize most of these SSR's are 15 years old !!! You never didi mention price. tennesseecozydog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I located has less than 15,000 miles and listed for just under $30,000. But the dealer has no history of the vehicle and missing some items. It was bought at an auto auction. I don't like buying a "pig in a poke" regardless of make, model, etc. I am willing to pay a reasonable price but want some knowledge of the vehicle's past. Condition/miles/etc. are one thing but how it was maintained speaks volumes. Yes I wanted a "like new" SSR and I realize they are 15 years old. I believe there are "like new" vehicles out there regardless of age, make, etc. It is just a matter of finding it. I was recommended to this site as a possible method to locate a SSR. That is why I joined and posted the ad. Sorry for any inconvenience!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Your concerns are valid, although in reality, as Boomer Bob implied, problems are actually quite rare. You hear and see about problems here, but those are a very small percentage of the total SSR population. In fact SSR's are quite stout vehicles. Yes, there are some pieces, including body parts, that can be tricky to find. But most of the time, if you have a fender bender, the insurance company will total the vehicle. So if you have an agreed value insurance policy, you simply walk away and go buy another toy. SSR's are rare and unique. And like other rare and unique vehicles there are trade offs in ownership. ( I know. I had a Jaguar E-Type a number of years ago and it had a boat load of trade-offs!) If you aren't willing to put up with those, then yes, definitely look elsewhere. But if you can get past them, you'll find a level of enjoyment not found in practically any other vehicle. By the way... most of us here are crusty old farts so it sounds like you'd fit right in. Good luck to you.
wizzr.
PS... don't worry too much about low mileage unless you want a garage queen. Pay more attention to condition and maintenance records. There are several wonderful examples for sale here on this forum.

·
BlueStreak
27,171 Posts
If you can get the VIN then search for it here you might find it listed and who owned it. The history should be around if you are serious and tha would help you in your discussion with the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Newbie to forum. Wanted 2005 or 2006 with less than 30K miles. Prefer one or two owner from private party. Will consider one from a dealer but must know history. Automatic transmission - wifey prefers to not drive a manual plus I am getting too old (but if you have a nice manual at the right price, I may consider). Color in order of preference: Silver, Blue, Red, or Yellow. Fully equipped with 1SB, 6CD BOSE, chrome wheels, wind screen, running boards, gauge package, and other options. Prefer stock vehicle with no mods, no accidents, no repaints. Send me a PM with detailed information, window sticker/list of options, maintenance history, pics, price, clear title, location, and contact info. I am located in OH but will travel for the right vehicle.
Hi, I have a 2005 for sale 9,300 miles slingshot yellow with graphic paint job, its in ths SSR for sale section. Venice,Florida (Non-premium members must use "Conversation"[PM] for selling)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts