Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ricochet Silver SSR
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to upgrade my Deck Lid to the New Style Deck Hinges. Looking to purchase a set of new or used hinges: Left hinge #15835795 Right hinge #15835796. Yes, I can order from GM, but concerned that the hinges received would not be the New Style hinges.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Drew N Florida
Hi Ho Silver
:silver:

·
Mike and Karyn
2,373 Posts
Wanting to upgrade my Deck Lid to the New Style Deck Hinges. Looking to purchase a set of new or used hinges: Left hinge #15835795 Right hinge #15835796. Yes, I can order from GM, but concerned that the hinges received would not be the New Style hinges.

Drew N Florida
Hi Ho Silver
I have in stock $200.00 with free shipping.:smile2:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,005 Posts

Drew N Florida
Hi Ho Silver
I have to tell you that there is absolutely no mechanical difference in the hinges..... Old to new style...... The only change is that GM welded on a small piece of metal to the bottom strut mount and moved the bottom strut attachment approximately 32mm down the same plane as the original strut angle. This welded-on part was done to accommodate the in-stock struts that they had which were 32mm longer than the original ones.

Trust me...... The only thing this service bulletin did was to confuse the aftermarket with two possible lengths of replacement struts. There was not a good reason to change the hinges...... Except that GM had a slightly more robust lift strut. In the end, the more robust struts failed also.

If you want to get your lid to lift, just change the struts. Leave the hinges alone.........

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,620 Posts
I have to tell you that there is absolutely no mechanical difference in the hinges..... Old to new style...... The only change is that GM welded on a small piece of metal to the bottom strut mount and moved the bottom strut attachment approximately 32mm down the same plane as the original strut angle. This welded-on part was done to accommodate the in-stock struts that they had which were 32mm longer than the original ones.

Trust me...... The only thing this service bulletin did was to confuse the aftermarket with two possible lengths of replacement struts. There was not a good reason to change the hinges...... Except that GM had a slightly more robust lift strut. In the end, the more robust struts failed also.

If you want to get your lid to lift, just change the struts. Leave the hinges alone.........

My two cents,

Mike

Dealer in San Jose put those on mine when I told him mine wasn’t opening all the way . He was so proud he fixed something till I told him it opened the same amount lol. He also said that if your came with hard bags gm wouldn’t allow dealers to install . He said hard covers would have to be cut so hinges would fit

·
Registered
2006 Ricochet Silver SSR
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the responses. The only reason I was considering upgrading the deck hinges to the New Style was to increase the opening. However from the responses, installing the New Style deck hinges and struts would not raise the deck lid higher. Guess I'll just keep what I've got.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
800 Posts
Hope I am reading your post correctly. If your deck lid is barely opening and you want it to pop open then installing the new struts will allow it to do so.

·
Registered
2006 Ricochet Silver SSR
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The deck lid pops open, I was just hoping to get more deck extension with the New Style configuration.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,005 Posts
Thanks to all for the responses. The only reason I was considering upgrading the deck hinges to the New Style was to increase the opening. However from the responses, installing the New Style deck hinges and struts would not raise the deck lid higher. Guess I'll just keep what I've got.

thanks again
Steve Fenner at LST and I worked together about 10 years ago developing strut length that would open the lid as high as possible without draining the water off the lid into the rear compartment when the lid is fully open or causing a bind when closing the lid. The result was that we lengthened both (original and updated hinges) of the strut applications. The longer struts open the lid at least 2" higher than the ones originally installed while not opening it so far that water will flow into the rear compartment and not bind up when fully closed. These are the only ones that I sell.

I offer four possible struts for the rear of the SSR:

Black original hinge struts
Stainless original hinge struts
Black updated hinge struts
Stainless updated hinge struts

Hope I am reading your post correctly. If your deck lid is barely opening and you want it to pop open then installing the new struts will allow it to do so.
Yes, you are reading it correctly. Popping the lid all the way open when you push the button is also a feature of the LST struts. We (LST and Simple Engineering) have been tweaking the internal pressure on the struts for years, trying to get just the right balance. This is a delicate pressure point with the struts...... Here are some of the issues that have to be considered when choosing just the right strut internal pressure to lift the lid:

1) Too little pressure will not pop the lid from the fully closed position, causing you to have to help it lift initially.
2) Too much pressure will cause the hinges to lift the front corners of the lid when it is closed and latched.
3) Too much pressure makes it difficult to close.
4) Struts naturally loose a little pressure over time, making it difficult to provide a strut that will last for 3-5 years.
5) Internal strut pressure (lifting force) is directly proportional to temperature (Refer to Gay-Lussac's Gas Law). The SSR rear compartment can have over 100 degrees of temperature variation, depending on geographic location and seasonal temperatures.

The original design intent for GM was to have the lid pop open just enough to let you get a finger under it and lift it up in Detroit in winter. This typically yielded a lid that popped fully open by itself in Phoenix during the summer. LST and I have sought to provide struts that meet this criteria for at least three years after installing new struts.

I hope this helps,

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts