Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Perfectionist
05 Redline, 06 Pac Blue, Spfld, Illinois
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Here is my heavy duty X brace. This brace is really solid. 1- 1/4 X 1/8 wall tube .A few pics.

#1 TUBING PEICES
#2 LAYED OUT FOR FIT
#3 STOCK X BRACE
#4 WELDED UP DRILLED AND PAINTED
#5 INSTALLED

Damn, last pic turned sideways.

Attachments

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,367 Posts
Nice job Dino !!!!!!! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
19,896 Posts
Looks nice but have you compared to simple engineering plate . I think that connects at more points to insure more ridged

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,328 Posts
Oldfatguy
Nice job. Let us know how it works for you. I am amazed there is any movement in the fronts of our trucks. With the frames as big and with the crossmembers you would thing they would not have any flex to them.

·
Perfectionist
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice but have you compared to simple engineering plate . I think that connects at more points to insure more ridged
YES, I compared it to the one from Mike. It no doubt is a better choice. The biggest difference between Mikes and mine, is that I built mine from tubing I had laying around for free. Was a fun little project!

·
Perfectionist
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oldfatguy
Nice job. Let us know how it works for you. I am amazed there is any movement in the fronts of our trucks. With the frames as big and with the crossmembers you would thing they would not have any flex to them.
I am surprised that they have any flex either, especially up front. You expect it farther back toward the rear. I don't know for sure, but I have read many post, talking abt the difference in head shake and feel from adding Mikes radiator support, and or the stiffening plate. So I built this brace out of scrap, and I can tell you it is STIFF. The test drive will tell!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,637 Posts
Just curious if you put a piece of pipe/support inside the ends to keep the the bolts from collapsing the the ends when tightening the bolts or flexing/twisting of the frame?

Nick

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Gusset ??

Looks good
Gusset brace's at the X for more stability???
My 2cents

·
Perfectionist
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious if you put a piece of pipe/support inside the ends to keep the the bolts from collapsing the the ends when tightening the bolts or flexing/twisting of the frame?

Nick
Nick, I actually used 1/8 thick fender washers, under a standard washer. The fender washers reach all the way over the edges of the tube. This puts a big percentage of the load out onto the vertical sides of the tubing, eliminating the crushing of the tube. D

·
Perfectionist
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good
Gusset brace's at the X for more stability???
My 2cents
I actually thought about doing that, but I didn't. I think the weak points on the whole deal are the factory nuts. I'm worried that they may fail. We will see. D

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,052 Posts
Well, Here is my heavy duty X brace. This brace is really solid. 1- 1/4 X 1/8 wall tube .A few pics.

#1 TUBING PEICES
#2 LAYED OUT FOR FIT
#3 STOCK X BRACE
#4 WELDED UP DRILLED AND PAINTED
#5 INSTALLED

Damn, last pic turned sideways.
You keep this up, you'll have to change your screen name to OLDNORMALGUY or even OLDSKINNYGUY! lol

Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
To those wondering about - How does the front end even flex at all, given the "beefiness" of the frame. Minion and I have a 2006 Slingshot with only 25,000 miles all stock on the drivetrain.

I deal with construction engineering as part of my daily work, so I don't claim to "know" the mechanics of it all but here is my idea:
The front end has multiple load dynamics going on.
1. The engine with its vibration and torquing going on, thus the vibration mounts to "minimize the effects" on the frame.
2. The road effect through the wheels into the front end suspension that is attached to the frame.
3. The whole steering mechanism, also attached to the frame.

All of the above are considered as dynamic live loads feeding into the frame structure, pushing it into in all sorts of directions all at the same time while we drive our beloved trucks down the road. Now think about the lowly GM engineer that has been told to calculate this and keep the fix as inexpensive (Cheap) as possible. Thus we end up with the less than adequate cross bracing that we have on the front and rear of our vehicles. (Side-note: We have Tech-day coming up this weekend in D/FW TX and after examining the undercarriage, my rears cross member is showing signs of overstressing and the front end feels a little sloppy when accelerating through a curve. (some of that - not all - is the front end of the frame flexing) . So I am putting in Mike's front and rear end fixes this weekend.

I strongly recommend any Brother & Sister Fanatics to check your bracing, especially if you have boosted your horsepower, and thus the torque of your power plants.

Better safe than sorry or worse hurt because something comes apart going down the road.
That's my 2-cents on the issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts