Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The X pipe used to replace the Y pipe. Does that pipe have to be made up at Muffler shop or does someone sell one, if so do you have part # and manufacturer. Thanks Robert

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
The X pipe used to replace the Y pipe. Does that pipe have to be made up at Muffler shop or does someone sell one, if so do you have part # and manufacturer. Thanks Robert
Just had mine done similar to many others here. A popular choice is using the 2 inlet and 2 outlet Magnaflow muffler #12568. Internally inside that muffler is a X pipe so that solves that concern. :smile2:

Your custom muffler shop hacks off the Y pipe and creates a new pipe on one side so that you have two header pipes from the cats back to the single muffler with the two inlets and then 2 outlets hook to your existing dual tailpipes.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
The SSR does not lend itself well to the installation of an "X" pipe for performance. In order to get the performance improvement of an "X", you MUST have the two inlets to the "X" EXACTLY the same distance from the cylinder heads. This is how you precisely merge the left and right pulses of exhaust into a uniform stream of flow and gain the scavenging advantage of the "X".

The SSR gas tank forces the exhaust system to the right side of the truck, negating the possibility of economically building a properly merged "X" pipe system.

That said, I can tell you that there is nothing that money can't fix........ If you relocate the gas tank to the rear of the truck and reconfigure the system from catalytic converter to the exhaust tips, you can put a new system in with an "X" pipe. If you choose to do that, I would recommend installing long tube headers, high flow cats and the bring the pipes to an "X" near the output yoke of the transmission. From there, you would have two separate mufflers and two separate tailpipes..... Or out the rockers with side exits.

Not easy or cheap.

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,888 Posts
The SSR does not lend itself well to the installation of an "X" pipe for performance. In order to get the performance improvement of an "X", you MUST have the two inlets to the "X" EXACTLY the same distance from the cylinder heads. This is how you precisely merge the left and right pulses of exhaust into a uniform stream of flow and gain the scavenging advantage of the "X".

The SSR gas tank forces the exhaust system to the right side of the truck, negating the possibility of economically building a properly merged "X" pipe system.

That said, I can tell you that there is nothing that money can't fix........ If you relocate the gas tank to the rear of the truck and reconfigure the system from catalytic converter to the exhaust tips, you can put a new system in with an "X" pipe. If you choose to do that, I would recommend installing long tube headers, high flow cats and the bring the pipes to an "X" near the output yoke of the transmission. From there, you would have two separate mufflers and two separate tailpipes..... Or out the rockers with side exits.

Not easy or cheap.

Mike

That is why we use the X pipe muffler. Not as good but a lot cheaper.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
That is why we use the X pipe muffler. Not as good but a lot cheaper.
Yup..... you're right. That muffler does offer a slight increase in power, but I'll bet that increase is solely because we split the "Y" into two separate inputs to the muffler.

The existing "Y" pipe is designed to scavenge at only one specific RPM.... thereby getting a miniscule increase in gas mileage at the "highway" test point.....EPA mileage numbers count.... a lot to GM...

Mike

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Yup..... you're right. That muffler does offer a slight increase in power, but I'll bet that increase is solely because we split the "Y" into two separate inputs to the muffler.

The existing "Y" pipe is designed to scavenge at only one specific RPM.... thereby getting a miniscule increase in gas mileage at the "highway" test point.....EPA mileage numbers count.... a lot to GM...

Mike
Besides the small HP increase with the magnaflow one other point is that it just sounds so cool! :grin2:

·
DFW TX Crew
1,433 Posts

Not easy or cheap.

Mike

Mike, if I'm having a quality muffler shop split mine and make it a true dual exhaust system will I need to stagger the 2 little borla mufflers I'm having put on so that they are both equal distance from the headers? or does it matter if each is the same distance from the headers since it's just mufflers and are not connected?

Also I take it from what you said that a X pipe is basically useless if exhaust system is not symmetrical?

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I did the true dual exhaust using the magnaflow 12568 X-pipe muffler on my '04. Only a slight increase in torque but nothing to jump up and down about. It does have a nice tone at very respectable volume level. For more volume, you might consider the smaller 12468 muffler.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
Mike, if I'm having a quality muffler shop split mine and make it a true dual exhaust system will I need to stagger the 2 little borla mufflers I'm having put on so that they are both equal distance from the headers? or does it matter if each is the same distance from the headers since it's just mufflers and are not connected?

Also I take it from what you said that a X pipe is basically useless if exhaust system is not symmetrical?

Thanks, Josh
Josh,

The best application of staggered mufflers is when you have a balanced length system like I used to build. The "Old School True Duals" have staggered mufflers and an equal length system because I had the muffler outlets switch sides. The left bank of cylinders goes through the forward muffler and exits out the right tailpipe.... The right bank of cylinders goes through the aft muffler and exits out the left tailpipe. I used to build them with the crossover right behind the mufflers.... There are about 40-45 of those systems on SSRs. They were tough to build.

The shortcut version of my system is to split the "Y" pipe and use a muffler with a built-in X-pipe. It does not have the same sound as the equal length independent system, but is pretty close.

If you choose to consider the tailpipe after the muffler as a "non-issue", you can just put the mufflers in tandem, with the left bank going through the forward muffler. When you do this, you will have the left exhaust gasses actually passing through about 3 more feet of pipe than the right bank of cylinders.

Be sure to provide a maintenance disconnect of the pipes forward of the mufflers. I use two sets of 2.5" diameter 3-bolt flanges.... One on each pipe right at the forward muffler system hanger.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts