Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had XM radio or Sirius put on their SSR yet?

My dealer told me the SSR (I have the 1SB option package) was "XM ready", but, guess what? Car Toys tells me it's not and that it'll cost $400 to have XM installed. Car Toys also said that Sirius would cost about $310 to install.

GM Customer Service also said that Car Toys is correct: however, I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

So, I'm asking the real experts - the SSR fanatics.

What's the dang deal?

·
Registered
705 Posts
As far as I know it is not sat ready. they may have been talking about RDS system( info available through what the radio stations are broadcasting). Sirius and XM are a different system and I doubt GM gave it to us for free.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Satellite Radio

While getting my subwoofers installed, I checked into XM and Sirius. I believe that you need these items:

1) a controller,
2) a tuner,
3) and an fm transmitter. (If you had a tape player, you wouldn't need this because you could use an adapter). You need the transmitter because the factory head unit does have an input for auxillary items. The fm transmitter sends the signal on one of 4 fm frequencies (like 89.1), which you would turn your radio to listen to the satellite signal. You do lose some data doing this, but probably not that noticable.

I was quoted about $250 for either one installed. XM now has something called the Roady which is portable (you can move from car to car and with an adapter use it in your house).

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased the Delphi unit and all the hardware, because of its versatility, i can use it in all 4 cars and in the house. I took it to Circuit City to have it installed, and after speaking to the installers about installing it in the SSr, i was a little reluctant on letting them experiment on it. So i took my H2 in first, thought it would be a good start.:cry They said 1-1/2 hours no problem. after close to 5 hours it was still not installed , the installation was kicking there a$$. I started getting a little nervous on how they were treating my truck so i told them to stop. I finished the install myself. Looks and sounds great! I am going to tackle the SSr this week !

DELPHI UNIT $99.99
DELPHI FM MODULATOR $49.99
CAR KIT $69.99
HOME KIT $69.99

IF YOU SIGN UP ONLINE FOR XM ITS CHEAPER:D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sirius it is!

I just had Sirius installed by my local Car Toys.

The total cost for a Sirius install was $305 (plus $5 activation plus $155 radio subscription for 15 months)

XM was going to cost about $500 (the adapter was more expensive) (plus $10/month for subscription).

The antenna was placed above the windshield in the middle. It doesn't look too bad, but I'm a little worried about water leaks.

Ah well.

BTW, satellite radio is great - the variety of stations as well as the lack of advertisement is well worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Hey, trex - I am about 2 or so hours north of you. Can you get a pic of that antenna installation for us so we can see how it looks? That has been one of my main beefs about the SSR all along - No Sat radio! I have it in my other GM vehicles - awesome. Would like to put it in my SSR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts