Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm new to the party. Former Marauder owner with an XM Commander integrated into the OEM system using a Blitzsafe XM Commander interface that plugged into the CD Changer data cable.

I see in older posts that the Terk XMDGM100 or XMDGMK will work with the Bose head unit in the '05 SSR.... but, I was wondering does the song title display work, and does it show two lines of text like most XM receivers do?

Is the unit a direct interface (like the Commander, which used RCA inputs to connect directly to the data cable), or is it using FM modulation to send the signal through the antenna?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
XM revisited

The stock combo of the XM terk interface will allow you to see the title/station/catagory by pushing the station adjustment button (the one below the volume knob). I was the first to post the install of this type of combo in an SSR. messege me if you have any questoins
The install allows the use of the stock radio wiring harness' no other wiring is required , with exception of the XM antena. Works flawlessly.

SR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
339 Posts
Just FYI the XM sat radio was the worst investment on my other car and in that forum while many like XM just as many don't. XM uses the most odd music selections and if you like Classic Rock what they CALL stations are simply awful. I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR THE FEES AFTER USING XM FOR 1 OR THE 3 FREE MONTHS and many others agree that Sirus is the way to go. However this is just One opinion for what it is worth. PS don't believe the no talk radio bull either Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Speed2acer said:
The stock combo of the XM terk interface will allow you to see the title/station/catagory by pushing the station adjustment button (the one below the volume knob). I was the first to post the install of this type of combo in an SSR. messege me if you have any questoins
The install allows the use of the stock radio wiring harness' no other wiring is required , with exception of the XM antena. Works flawlessly.

SR
My great thanks to Speed2acer, who was 100% correct with the XMDGM100 Terk interface. I now have better quality XM radio than my old Commander (in my old car) that displays on the Bose premium head unit, operates using the head unit controls... and you can change station up and down with the button on the steering wheel. I'll post pictures when I clean her up this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I have XM with a Roady2 and love it, but would love to do it right in the SSR. Did you do the installation yourself, and if so how bad was the dash removal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SSR M.E. said:
I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I have XM with a Roady2 and love it, but would love to do it right in the SSR. Did you do the installation yourself, and if so how bad was the dash removal?
No, I bought the Terk interface from an autosound shop that does business installing stuff for my selling dealer. Paid $50 for the install.

According to Speed2acer, whose done this a couple of times, it's a 45 minute job, the tricky part is the passenger airbag. It's literally a plug in and go job - the Terk draws power from the wiring harness and you just plug in the antennae. My installer hid the antenna under the fiberglass trim piece in front of the sun load sensor next to the windshield. It's been working fine.

That said, my installer took over 4 hours to install the kit! He had a heckuva time with the airbag, apparently refused to read the tips that Speed2acer emailed to me. When I looked in on the install, he had ALL my dash panels off. First time with an SSR, they say now they'lll charge more for SSR installs. I think it's just inexperience, and if they'd followed the advice, it WOULD have been less than an hour. I'd talk to Speed2acer if you are going to tackle this yourself for advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics of the XM install

As promised, here are pics of my XM installation. Using the Terk XMDGM100, this plugs into the OEM head unit and voila, XM on your factory Bose system.

My installer hid the antenna under the fiberglass trim piece next to the windshield.
 

Attachments

·
OP
Joined
·
8,225 Posts
ordered today

Recent trip and rented vehicle with satellite radio (sirrius) got me hooked, so I ordered the XM kit today.
I will take pictures during the dash removal and install and try to post when complete.
I will also install the hands-free nokia phone kit while I'm at it and will take pics of that as well.
Wish me luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
OP said:
Recent trip and rented vehicle with satellite radio (sirrius) got me hooked, so I ordered the XM kit today.
I will take pictures during the dash removal and install and try to post when complete.
I will also install the hands-free nokia phone kit while I'm at it and will take pics of that as well.
Wish me luck.
Good luck.
 

·
Tu-Tone club member
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
Little late with this post.....but....

had my XM Direct XMDGM100 with the Terk interface installed about 2 weeks ago. For those who it took 45 minutes to install, I commend you.

As the pix show wound up tearing the whole dash apart. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to get to the back of the Bose unit. I wanted the Direct and interface nested in the unit invisible from the interior. Managed to velcro both internally (pix2). Quite happy with the result and XM performance.

Next week will have the doors dynamated to reduce outside noise and speaker vibration and distortion.

P/P

Peace:flag
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
What the hell happen to the dash. I thought it was suppose to be an easy install. Someone said you just take the top off the dash off. Scared to let anyone touch it if it's going to look like that. Don't want anything to go wrong.
 

·
Tu-Tone club member
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
SS....Actually I'm glad it did:jester The passenger air bag was not installed properly. 2 screws on the bottom, and one on each side secure it in place. The screw on the left had no nut securing it. Consequently the left side of the air bag kept creeping outward thru vehicle vibration etc. I was ready to have the dealer replace it ....but not now.

If its easier than I experienced, someone will have to chime in here. 3 hours total.

P/P

Peace:flag
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
Purple Penelope said:
SS....Actually I'm glad it did:jester The passenger air bag was not installed properly. 2 screws on the bottom, and one on each side secure it in place. The screw on the left had no nut securing it. Consequently the left side of the air bag kept creeping outward thru vehicle vibration etc. I was ready to have the dealer replace it ....but not now.

If its easier than I experienced, someone will have to chime in here. 3 hours total.

P/P

Peace:flag
Thanks P/P. I guess the secret is having someone do it who knows what they're doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
I didn’t have to drop the bottom of the dash out when I did mine. I also initially set the antenna in the front of the dash buy the window but it kept cutting out. I later moved it outside on top of the windshield and now its rock solid and doesn’t look too obtrusive since the unit is quite small. That freaking airbag is the biggest obstacle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
pherrley said:
I didn’t have to drop the bottom of the dash out when I did mine. I also initially set the antenna in the front of the dash buy the window but it kept cutting out. I later moved it outside on top of the windshield and now its rock solid and doesn’t look too obtrusive since the unit is quite small. That freaking airbag is the biggest obstacle.
pherrley how did you put the antenna on the outside of the windshield. What about the wire?:banghead :smash
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
SS My R said:
pherrley how did you put the antenna on the outside of the windshield. What about the wire?:banghead :smash
I wonder how well would it work if put on the dash in the middle all the way toward the windshield almost touching it? I have a Delphi MyFi 2Go portable and it works great with the antenna on the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Purple Penelope said:
had my XM Direct XMDGM100 with the Terk interface installed about 2 weeks ago. For those who it took 45 minutes to install, I commend you. As the pix show wound up tearing the whole dash apart. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to get to the back of the Bose unit. I wanted the Direct and interface nested in the unit invisible from the interior. Managed to velcro both internally (pix2). Quite happy with the result and XM performance.
Yeah, my installer (Radio Activ) took nearly 4 hours to put it in, and disassembled the dash like you did. I almost fainted when I saw it taken apart. There's apparently a better way because I've heard more than one install of under an hour.

This is a great unit, and it works wondefully, especially the OEM steering wheel controls. I miss the five line display, but what we have is okay with me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SS My R said:
What the hell happen to the dash. I thought it was suppose to be an easy install. Someone said you just take the top off the dash off. Scared to let anyone touch it if it's going to look like that. Don't want anything to go wrong.
I wouldn't be. Pick an installer that does a lot of work for dealers and they know how to take it apart and put it back together no problems. Mine went back together and it looked just like the day I took delivery. No problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pherrley said:
I didn’t have to drop the bottom of the dash out when I did mine. I also initially set the antenna in the front of the dash buy the window but it kept cutting out. I later moved it outside on top of the windshield and now its rock solid and doesn’t look too obtrusive since the unit is quite small. That freaking airbag is the biggest obstacle.
I drove around with a MyFi and a temporary antenna located in this position. You are right that this is a very good location, but you do have that bump of an antenna right out in the open. Also, in spite of the strong magnet, it will move and scratch your paint.

Mine was placed under the fiberglass trim piece, though I am told that the entire top dash piece, which is made out of plastic, is transparant to the XM antenna, so the best hidden location is about half way under the top dash piece so it have a big view out the windshield.

Mine actually works quite well, though it does drop out shortly when the truck it orientated away from the southern sky and there is additional obstruction (trees, mainly).
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top