Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing either the XM or Sirrus radio for my SSR. I'd appreciate advise on which you feel is better and why. Also how to install so it does not distract from the looks of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Sirius

Ernest Black said:
I'm considering purchasing either the XM or Sirrus radio for my SSR. I'd appreciate advise on which you feel is better and why. Also how to install so it does not distract from the looks of the vehicle.
I have just installed Sirius "ST1 Starmate unit, and am very happy with it. Very simplistic install, and 180 stations to choose from. Can't beat it. Great digital audio quality, with the direct antenna connect. P/N DEI-14110 (Picked it up at Circuit City), and tied into the antenna connection behind the passenger side, floor kick. 30 min. total install.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ernest Black said:
Go here and read about the two services, there are important differences in the chipsets and the way the signal is decoded:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/satellite-radio.htm

Keep in mind, GM is a corporate partner with XM Radio, and has invested millions in the company. XM has far more suscribers than Sirius, and is gaining new suscribers at a faster pace than Sirius, according to the Wall Street Journal.

There is an XM-Direct unit with a Terk interface that will connect to the Bose premium sound system in your SSR, using the Bose head unit display, the head units selection buttons and presets, and the steering wheel buttons to seek up or down through the XM radio channels. A good installer can hide the antenna such that nobody would even know you had a satellite radio unless it was turned on and playing. Do a search and you'll see pics, and I'll attach some of my install to this reply.

I don't know if there is a similar Siruis tuner and interface, though IIRC there is something that works.

I have to say I really enjoy XM radio, the sound quality is very high, really drives the subwoofers in my SSR. Love Opie and Anthony, Ron and Fez. Course, I also have a MyFi that records 5 hours of programming so I can listen indoors at work where there are no windows to be able to place an antenna.

Attachments

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
My $.02

Wife has XM in her car, I have Sirrus in SSR. To me XM has to much Bla-Bla between music, you can get 12-in-a-row on reg radio not XM. Sirrus has less advertizing more what you want and in Jan HOWARD UN-CENSORED!! Plus with Sirrus you can buy a lifetime membership, with the sportser model which I have I just Click it out of the SSR Pod and put it in the boat, boom-box, or my in home unit. :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs UP !!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
crazyrtr53 said:
Wife has XM in her car, I have Sirrus in SSR. To me XM has to much Bla-Bla between music, you can get 12-in-a-row on reg radio not XM. Sirrus has less advertizing more what you want and in Jan HOWARD UN-CENSORED!! Plus with Sirrus you can buy a lifetime membership, with the sportser model which I have I just Click it out of the SSR Pod and put it in the boat, boom-box, or my in home unit. :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs UP !!!
Sirius has a new portable model just released. Very small Black and brushed stainless. the unit is as small as an IPOD and the mount is compact. comes with a pedistal can mount on side of console das or windshield. I mounted on aluminum strip on dash. plays live in car or home and will store about 40 hours of music and can record live, or from computer. very neat set up. about $200 should see them in stores over Christmas.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Howard who????

crazyrtr53 said:

If thats where howard is going....I'm going the oppsite way thank you.... :cuss

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Whitewolf said:
If thats where howard is going....I'm going the oppsite way thank you.... :cuss
:glol :glol :glol

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
BUDDYWHITE said:
Sirius has a new portable model just released. Very small Black and brushed stainless. the unit is as small as an IPOD and the mount is compact. comes with a pedistal can mount on side of console das or windshield. I mounted on aluminum strip on dash. plays live in car or home and will store about 40 hours of music and can record live, or from computer. very neat set up. about $200 should see them in stores over Christmas.
:agree Sirrus did'nt have that last year when I got mine. Hard wired and mounted my pod on the lower part of the waterfall in SSR, did'nt want anything on the dash and with the remote it's basically out of the way and easy to use:thumbs

·
Registered
374 Posts
BUDDYWHITE said:
Good luck finding an S50 for $200. $300 is closer to the mark:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref=sr_1_2/102-8020428-5615303?_encoding=UTF8

While I like the color screen, unlike the MyFi, it cannot recieve live satellite signals outside its car or home cradle. It is, essentially, an expensive MP3 recorder, the cradles contain the receiver unit. The Myfi has a built in satellite receiver allowing you to listen to live satellite broadcasts while walking or runiing or enjoying a nice day outdoors. The cradles are just connection points for power (for recharging the battery) audio output, and antenna. The MyFi has a built in antenna, and a clip on auxilary antenna in locations with buildings or trees that may block the unit from the sky.

Have you seen this? http://www.timetraxtech.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I mounted my Delphi XM on the open ash tray ledge with velcro. stays put and convenient to power source. I ran the antenna wire along console to back of driver seat into top storage area duct taping it to the walls so to clear the top to mount on the edge of the rear deck.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
xm

I did like Herb, but ran my antenna under my dashmat along the side of the dash and under to the ashtray. The antenna is in the center of the dash near the windshield. And because I opted for the "Tao" model (so I can take it with me to work, and while jogging) I too lodged it in the cup holder, Best Buy has a "wireless remote" that plugs into the ashtray or xtra outlet, and I can tune into 88.1 on the fm to get the stereo sound without tearing the dash apart to intall it!
Clean system, great sound, same channels as I'm use to on my Direct tv, and it's portable! Can't beat that!

GR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts