Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Low tire pressure warning system. Whats up with that? No spare tire and no warning system? My 2004 Monterey Minivan even has it and it has a spare. I should think a LTPWS would be a must on a truck without a spare. The earlier you fix that tire the better off your chances of the inflater goo working. I look at something like that as a safety issue, I just figured it was there until I looked in the book. How hard would it have been to put the C5 tire pressure system on the SSR I ask? Not hard at all I would think, 4 sensors a dash reciever and a little DIC programming.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,073 Posts
I've been looking at the system from Dakota Digital. They make a nice round gauge that will fit in the standard console gauges (in place of the one you find least useful) and has a display of all 4 tire pressures. Same color display as the radio. Wireless transmitters in each wheel / tire. Alarm level settable and an auxilary output for a concealed red light in your field of vision somewhere. Kinda pricey at $400, but how many tires do you have to ruin to have it pay for itself? Do a web search for the company name, they make a full line of street rod instrumentation.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Check this out for only $20 bucks!

IllinoisSSR said:
Low tire pressure warning system. Whats up with that? No spare tire and no warning system? My 2004 Monterey Minivan even has it and it has a spare. I should think a LTPWS would be a must on a truck without a spare. The earlier you fix that tire the better off your chances of the inflater goo working. I look at something like that as a safety issue, I just figured it was there until I looked in the book. How hard would it have been to put the C5 tire pressure system on the SSR I ask? Not hard at all I would think, 4 sensors a dash reciever and a little DIC programming.

For a low tech very inexpensive way to monitor tire pressure check this out!

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=3408

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Do a search on Dakota Digital - it should pull up the description and photos from my install of their TPMS system.

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Mike,

Tires and wheels were new, and balanced with the senders installed. I can't give you a specific weight on the unit, but it's not a lot. You would probably want to rebalance your wheels if you install them.

I'll take the broken one sitting on my shelf to the Postal outlet and have it weighed - let you know.

As far as the valve stem mounted monitors - no help if a tire is going down while you're driving. I was glad I had the system installed when I had a tire going down due to a glass cut. I'm sure I would have been stranded, possibly with a damaged tire and wheel, without that blinking display letting me know I had a tire going down.

Ray

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had the Dakota Digital Tire Pressure and Temperature Gauge

In my Marauder. Here's my report.

It uses the SmartTire system, which has four transmitters/senders mounted in each wheel using bands to secure them to the center of the wheel. The transmitters are in plastic cases. SmartTire has a unit for your dash that displays tire pressure and tempuratire, but Dakota Digital took it a step further and plugs a standard 2-1/4 inch digital gauge into the diagnostic port on the SmartTure processor. You get a display that shows the tire pressures for all four tires, and the option of two additional tires (trailer or dual rear wheels, for example). Pushing a button on the gauge shifts it from tire pressure to tire temp. You'd be surprised how hot the tires get in the summer, and it's interesting to see that the tires on the side of the car in direct sunlight run a few degrees hotter. The idea of tire temps is a tire that is failing will show an increase of temperature whereas it may show normal pressures.

To preserve battery life of the transmitters, they only transmit a signal if there has been a change since they last time they sampled the pressure or temperature. The car has to be in motion, as well. When you pull up and stop, it shifts to "gauge fill" mode until you shut off the car. What this means is when you get in the car to drive off, the readings will be --- for a few minutes until the tires heat enough to change pressure or temps, then the readings will display. It takes about 20 minutes for all four to come up, though I've seen it sooner, and sometimes three will be up and the fourth will take longer.

The system is pricey, and you'll need a knowledgeable tech to put it in properly. There are some after install things to consider.

I had problems with damage to the cases of the transmitters when tires were taken off the wheel. Ideally, you mount the transmitter in the center of the wheel, but the Marauder wheel had an angled design such that it had to be mounted near the edge of the wheel. Tire removing equipment could catch the transmitter and break it, or snag on the band and snap it. So, I learned to buy a few spare transmitters and bands to have on hand whenever a tire was changed . (Programming the transmitters is very easy). The other problem was the band sometimes would loosten up and the transmitter would spin around inside the tire.

There were times when I thought I'd take it out because of the cost and annoyance of replacing transmitters, but I stuck with it.

Accuracy was quite good, within 2 psi of a digital tire gauge. It's there to alert you to problems, and it does do that. I found out about slow leaks in tires well before they became an issue, and was able to get to a tire repair center. Once, I had a flat at work and the tire I took off and put in the trunk cheerfully kept reporting 00 pressures and setting off the out of range alarm.

Here's some pics of it:

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
gauge pod

Hey donnyson,

where did you get your gauge pod? I am going to need one for a bost gauge after I install the supercharger.
This question goes out to anyone else who might know of a quality unit that closely matches the finish.
I,m down here in Venice Fla. at my vacation home. would like to possibly hook up with any of you locals down here.

·
Registered
374 Posts
53wanab said:
Hey donnyson,

where did you get your gauge pod? I am going to need one for a bost gauge after I install the supercharger.
This question goes out to anyone else who might know of a quality unit that closely matches the finish.
I,m down here in Venice Fla. at my vacation home. would like to possibly hook up with any of you locals down here.
I bought mine from Summit Racing. It's an Auto Meter A pillar pod, specific for panther platforms (Crown Vic, GM's, Marauders). I used Ford interior paint to match the interior. Later, I had a triple pod installed and in that case I had a trim shop wrap the pod with Ford leather that matched the interior. I had the other A pillar wrapped to match.

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,276 Posts
Tire monitor

The issue is not if one can be installed later as most of the posts elude to, I believe this comment (like others) is that for the money spent and the technology of today, one should be on every truck that leaves the plant.

I agree, this issue should have been on the same list as the hood struts.

:seeya

IllinoisSSR said:

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Yes and we all know what our SSR's are lacking and what should have been added when built so now the only thing to do is add it now!

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
IllinoisSSR said:

Here are some links on the subject...Looks like it is being phased in on all vehicles:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TirePressure/LTPWCOVER.html
http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0703/29/main.shtml

or google nhtsa low pressure warning for lots of other links.

Roger :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts