Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you are in Michigan, let me tell you about a way to avoid sales tax if you buy from out-of-state. If you buy out of our state you do not pay them sales tax and you get a non-Michigan title and then you can take it to our Michigan Sec'y of Wait's office and tell them your wife wants to buy the vehicle from you. They will charge you $10 and give her a Michigan title. No sales tax was charged. For a $35K car, that is a savings of $2100!!!!

I read Danko's post and thought we Citizens of Michigan sure pay a lot of tax on cars! ??? I might try the above on the next one ???

Check this out
If we purchase a car in 2005 we pay 6 percent sales tax on that vehicle

In 2006 we sell that car the buyer pays 6 percent tax on that same car

and so on and so on and so on. :eek

But our roads are so good :lol

Hope everyone else has it better.

All the Best,

Tom

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
That's Funny

Hot Rod that's funny:lol :lol My girlfriend just bought a used car from us. Her and I were talking about that 6% tax on top of tax on top of tax. One of those 6% should come back to the seller. Yeah.... like that will ever happen :lol :lol

Yeah are roads here look great considering we are taxed on taxed on taxed: :rolleyes: :jester

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Michigan tax info

Resolving the issues related to taxing remote sales will require either voluntary compliance by remote retailers or congressional action. To help increase compliance by Michigan residents, the state has taken the unique approach of adding a line on the personal income tax form for calculating the amount of tax owed on remote purchases. This has met with some, but limited, success: For tax year 2000, the state collected about $3.1 million from 80,150 filers.

http://www.michiganinbrief.org/edition07/Chapter5/TaxesonCons.htm

Which means, as I put in the other thread, that you are required by Michigan law to pay taxes on items which you purchased out of state and the tax was not collected at the time of purchase.

So now that you know that you are required to pay the taxes, I wouldn't publicly post that you are trying to avoid them :rolleyes:

Hope this helps......or at least informs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Replied on the other post too, but if you buy new and out of state, you will probably only get a MSO, not a title. I'm guessing this idea wouldn't work with an MSO.

·
Registered
442 Posts
cw_, I hesitate to put into writing that I have done this tax avoidance so I won't, but I KNOW of what I speak and that it works from more than one other state. If you are not in Michigan, it might not work for you, but it works here!!! Also, at no time did I actually try to directly not pay tax. I just said my wife wanted to buy my car and the lady at the window told me the rest. ........... I frequently e-mail and sometimes communicate with other methods to my elected representatives. We are each only one person but if we do something ..... ANYTHING !!! ..... it adds up. Ya'll are telling us what you feel about taxes but when was the last time you told your elected reps. When taxes are decreased (Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton, Vietnam II "W") actual tax revenues rise and yet the Dems say we cannot lower taxes because we cannot afford the additional deficit it will cause and a bunch of lib Republicans vote with them. I bet the last time ya'll voted that you gave your precious vote to a political party that you KNEW would raise your taxes. Suggestion: Next time you choose who will help decide how much tax you pay, look at ALL the candidates and maybe even find out something about some of them before voting. There are 56 political parties in this country and 39 ran candidates for president in the last election although only a few show up on each state's ballot. Some of those other parties ARE getting some people elected, too. Worth looking into.......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'd probably do the same thing and not saying it won't work. I was just saying that based on my recent experience, I got an MSO since the vehicle was new, not a title, so the vehicle was being transferred directly from GM (and the dealer). If it was on a title with my name, I could see it working fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts