Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with Side Window Deflectors . Wealthier Tech dos not make them for the SSR.
There is an ad on ebay for a Kit for the SSR for $44.99.
Has anyone tried this kit or have an alternate unit?
Oren (OG)

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,161 Posts
If your talking about the ones that normally go along the A pillar and across the top of the window to allow you to roll your window a little and not have the wind rushing in. That would be hard to do with the SSR as the top would need to separate from the A pillar for the top to go down.
If looking for something just along the A pillar, I would not put anything that would add weight or stress to there as what GM used was not the strongest to begin with. It just has small plastic pins and Velcro holding it on and if the Velcro gives up it can cause the A pillar trim to come off the truck.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
As Stlhotrod has noted above, there are no aftermarket window accessories for the SSR due to the top and window operation. The EBay kits you see are simply a rubber L channel trim that can most likely be purchased for about 1/4 of the asking price at a local body shop supply store or part supply house. Not really sure how much water it would keep out anyway, looks to be about a 1/2 or less protrusion from mounting position. Then you have to cut it up and mount it to the top structure which positions it further from the window and will allow gaps. You might be lucky to get 1/8 of an inch window drop if the water was coming straight down with no breeze, but you will have to deal with the gaps from the cuts. And if you drive down the road and watch how the water moves on the window I think you'll find that it rises in some spots. This small L channel will likely not do anything for you.

Picture of the EBay ad part follows.............. $45 is too much for just a few feet of rubber trim.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have experience with Side Window Deflectors . Wealthier Tech dos not make them for the SSR.
There is an ad on ebay for a Kit for the SSR for $44.99.
Has anyone tried this kit or have an alternate unit?
Oren (OG)
As Stlhotrod has noted above, there are no aftermarket window accessories for the SSR due to the top and window operation. The EBay kits you see are simply a rubber L channel trim that can most likely be purchased for about 1/4 of the asking price at a local body shop supply store or part supply house. Not really sure how much water it would keep out anyway, looks to be about a 1/2 or less protrusion from mounting position. Then you have to cut it up and mount it to the top structure which positions it further from the window and will allow gaps. You might be lucky to get 1/8 of an inch window drop if the water was coming straight down with no breeze, but you will have to deal with the gaps from the cuts. And if you drive down the road and watch how the water moves on the window I think you'll find that it rises in some spots. This small L channel will likely not do anything for you.

Picture of the EBay ad part follows.............. $45 is too much for just a few feet of rubber trim.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood
The problem I'm having is I lost my garage and the Florida sun is causing the glue to come loose from some of the trim. I guess I will have to try sometime else

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,161 Posts
I was thinking you were asking about deflectors for the sides. It sounds like you maybe looking for some type of shade to protect the interior from the sun. If that is the case then you can probably find a universal one and cut it to fit.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
The problem I'm having is I lost my garage and the Florida sun is causing the glue to come loose from some of the trim. I guess I will have to try sometime else
Are you looking to keep the heat out of the interior and wanted to keep the windows cracked open? Maybe get side, front and rear window shades. Get 3 of the silver lined sun shades for windshields, use one for the front, cut one up and use it for the side windows and cut one for the rear? Not sure how much it will decrease the heat, probably not that much. Even a car cover would not protect it that much, then you would need to worry about the wear from it rubbing in the wind.

Best bet would be to store it somewhere but that would mean paying a monthly fee. Sad to say, keeping it outside in the elements is going to prematurely wear out the paint and interior no matter what you do.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,546 Posts
Get a reflector for inside on the windshield. Significant difference on the interior temps!
I use one all summer as I drive mine daily.

·
Trygodfirst
2006 FPR SSR PAC BLUE AUTOMATIC
1,360 Posts
xpel dealer here in west palm Florida uses a CLEAR sun ray film to block the interior of the front windshield and of course the regular tinted side and rear glass sunblock. I too am forced to park mine outside and that stuff does a very good job on keeping the sun rays out and temps down. I also researched to find which cover provides MAXIMUM RV protection AND also breathes to let moisture dissipate which is also important in this Florida humidity
Once my research was done I was pleased to find that @Mike in AZ with
simple-engineering.org sell it WITH the ssr logo sewn in. While pac blue was not an offered color two things were important to remember
1) I got both the max. sun and moisture protection and
2) I wanted the ssr logo sewn in and Mike has it all.I’m so thankful for @Mike in AZ and @Dicktator and all our ssr folk and it’s those two I go to FIRST whenever I need parts in an effort to support them. Now I’ll go try and find which cover we bought. The ssr is in shop having dicktaors fuse box and mikes goodies installed other wise I’d check the label.
I’ll be back and post reply to this post. I hope this info helps you. P.s. we also use a VERY STURDY interior shade to backup the clear film on the windows. Our 06 prior to our ownership had the door upholstery coming loose due to heat so be aware that can also happen. We’ll fix that next year when we redo seats to add some extra cushion

·
Trygodfirst
2006 FPR SSR PAC BLUE AUTOMATIC
1,360 Posts
xpel dealer here in west palm Florida uses a CLEAR sun ray film to block the interior of the front windshield and of course the regular tinted side and rear glass sunblock. I too am forced to park mine outside and that stuff does a very good job on keeping the sun rays out and temps down. I also researched to find which cover provides MAXIMUM RV protection AND also breathes to let moisture dissipate which is also important in this Florida humidity
Once my research was done I was pleased to find that @Mike in AZ with
simple-engineering.org sell it WITH the ssr logo sewn in. While pac blue was not an offered color two things were important to remember
1) I got both the max. sun and moisture protection and
2) I wanted the ssr logo sewn in and Mike has it all.I’m so thankful for @Mike in AZ and @Dicktator and all our ssr folk and it’s those two I go to FIRST whenever I need parts in an effort to support them. Now I’ll go try and find which cover we bought. The ssr is in shop having dicktaors fuse box and mikes goodies installed other wise I’d check the label.
I’ll be back and post reply to this post. I hope this info helps you. P.s. we also use a VERY STURDY interior shade to backup the clear film on the windows. Our 06 prior to our ownership had the door upholstery coming loose due to heat so be aware that can also happen. We’ll fix that next year when we redo seats to add some extra cushion
EFA35F38-A321-4C63-937D-408C3132C04E.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts